Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so a 3/4 ton truck puts more stress then a smart car.

However, its all relative 6000# on 4 wheels compared to 80000# on 18 wheels, who's tearing up more stuff at a considerably faster rate?

If you will please allow me to respectfully retort-the amount of passenger vehicle traffic is much more than commercial truck traffic, so much so that highways are designed using the unit of passenger cars/lane-mile. There are adjustments to that unit to account for truck traffic, yes, but as a rule passenger traffic far exceeds commercial trucks. Thus, in some areas high volumes (AADT) of heavy passenger vehicles will cause more damage to the roadway than truck traffic.

Though yes, on a per vehicle basis commercial trucks are more damaging to highways than passenger vehicles. Quad axle dump trucks (yours truly) are the worst on a per-vehicle basis, followed by the guys who move 110,000 lb class excavators on a 4 axle truck and 4 axle lowboy (also yours truly.) Fire trucks are also really bad, a Seagrave Meanstick quint is probably the worst example (yup, I run one of those too). 60,000 on two axles is… Bad. Just because the axles, tires & brakes can do it does not mean it’s a good design to take over the road.

I Six Days on the Road performed by Sawyer Brown was the best song that anything to do with truck driving. Convoy never did anything for me, and Eastbound & Down was pretty meh, even worse when anyone other than Jerry Reed did it. Oh geez, Alabame did Roll On 18 Wheeler too. Hmm… Still, Convoy’s not close to the top.

Why you gots to be hating on da Semi's yo?
=)

Kristoffer Kristofferson is still alive, btw.
If not for WIkipedia, I wouldn't have had a clue how to spell his name, either.

Not hating on semi's, Hel I own 2-1/2 (the disservice truck is a smol one) and have owned 2 others.

My real dad was a long haul trucker, Mom drove dump/water truck as well as copilot with dad before us kids came along and got in the way. Swore I'd never go into it... Then I had trouble getting trucks to show up, and when they did it was $1000's for a few loads of rock, or waiting 2-3 weeks to get my machines moved, just got tired of it, and got my own.

If you will please allow me to respectfully retort-the amount of passenger vehicle traffic is much more than commercial truck traffic, so much so that highways are designed using the unit of passenger cars/lane-mile. There are adjustments to that unit to account for truck traffic, yes, but as a rule passenger traffic far exceeds commercial trucks. Thus, in some areas high volumes (AADT) of heavy passenger vehicles will cause more damage to the roadway than truck traffic.

Though yes, on a per vehicle basis commercial trucks are more damaging to highways than passenger vehicles. Quad axle dump trucks (yours truly) are the worst on a per-vehicle basis, followed by the guys who move 110,000 lb class excavators on a 4 axle truck and 4 axle lowboy (also yours truly.) Fire trucks are also really bad, a Seagrave Meanstick quint is probably the worst example (yup, I run one of those too). 60,000 on two axles is… Bad. Just because the axles, tires & brakes can do it does not mean it’s a good design to take over the road.

I Six Days on the Road performed by Sawyer Brown was the best song that anything to do with truck driving. Convoy never did anything for me, and Eastbound & Down was pretty meh, even worse when anyone other than Jerry Reed did it. Oh geez, Alabame did Roll On 18 Wheeler too. Hmm… Still, Convoy’s not close to the top.
Jerry Reed was a helluva geetar picker and song writer, and I kinda (really)despise country musak... Jerry Reed and Chet Atkins on one stage is a sight to see, mix Sir Les Paul in and your ears might catch on fire. (though if you can find it Mary Ford could keep up with Les note for note and sing better too) To Hel with the likes of VanHalen or dare I say Angus Young, them country pickers can play.

I dunno. I may have Omicron. I'll test myself tomorrow if I am still coughing up lung with no other symptoms. For now I am in hiding.
We got a new Greyhound we found wandering in Dungarvin, Waterford. She immediately went in to heat. So she's wearing a diaper at the moment.

172306174.xBwZhiGF.jpg

SOmehow she has a Frenchman's mustache. Dunno how that works.

My joints are pretty fukt. My arthritis keeps me from doing much real work :(
But the rX drugs are good...er...

Still living in Bray south of Dublin. Was gonna go visit Waterford again next week, but we'll see how I am feeling.
I got to cut down a big cherry tree soon here that's gone berzerk in our back garden. I don't even own a saw any more...
I'll be using a hand saw. Wish me luck.

What's news stateside? You guys making Murica great again?

I dunno. I may have Omicron. I'll test myself tomorrow if I am still coughing up lung with no other symptoms. For now I am in hiding.
We got a new Greyhound we found wandering in Dungarvin, Waterford. She immediately went in to heat. So she's wearing a diaper at the moment.

172306174.xBwZhiGF.jpg

SOmehow she has a Frenchman's mustache. Dunno how that works.

My joints are pretty fukt. My arthritis keeps me from doing much real work :(
But the rX drugs are good...er...

Still living in Bray south of Dublin. Was gonna go visit Waterford again next week, but we'll see how I am feeling.
I got to cut down a big cherry tree soon here that's gone berzerk in our back garden. I don't even own a saw any more...
I'll be using a hand saw. Wish me luck.

What's news stateside? You guys making Murica great again?
that doggo stoned?

Merica...

Trumps likely going to be in prison before next year. If not him, then most of his staff.
Log prices are through the damned roof, highest D fir prices I've seen since the 1990's.
Parts and supplies are getting harder to get, motor oil is getting scarce, haven't seen a new pro saw on the shelf in months, I can finally afford a 500i, but chances of seeing one before 2023 are slim at the mo.
Oh and, our doggo has learned to beg for naps and cuddles...

I can dream of Trump and his staff going to prison. I wouldn’t put my money on it, but I feel like the way the midterms go will be the deciding factor.

The MAGA crowd apparently has taken hold on Canada, a group of Albertans convoyed to Ottawa and Trudeau has been taken to a safe location.
I dream of a world where Hillary won in 2016. I really do.

My dog is still my dog. He’s good-glad to see you’re taking care of homeless ones. E9303794-33CF-47FB-A031-2BF13C5998CE.jpeg

Glad to see you’re still kicking. I too have developed arthritis, albeit for me it’s between my vertebrae in my upper back. It’s pretty crunchy now.

Army forestry still sells logs, slightly above pre-covid price. We sure aren't seeing any benefits from this hyperinflation. It's looking like I'm finally going to have to buy a house, something I never particularly cared to do, because rent has become too expensive. I've been in this place 17 years!

Meanwhile, my cats continue to care about exactly nothing except naps, scritches, and mouse murder.

Tested positive twice today.
My symptoms were:
Loose lungs out of the blue 2 days ago. No fever. A few aches. Some coughing. Haven't felt like this since I used too much ammonia to clean one of my target rifles in an enclosed room back in 1999. At first I suspected it might be my wife's smoking or the cleaning supplies we used since I am sensitive to them.
Through the night it became steadily worse, and I had trouble sleeping. I waited until morning to see how I felt(and I got the email from Don/Sawfun about his post about this time).
Yesterday, coughing up stuff like I had the flu. No real fever, though. No real aches other than from coughing. Tired, but otherwise fine.
To be safe, I took my industrial strength anti inflammatory early yesterday(Arcoxia) even though my joints were OK, if a bit sore. Arcoxia is nearly as effective as steroids(and I suspect a lot of athletes take a version thereof). Also took 10,000IU of Vitamin D both days. Coughing up plenty of lung during the day yesterday, but otherwise able to do chores.
This morning I coughed up some lung like I was getting over the flu. But now I feel OK after noon. Again, It's like I got over a short flu stint. A bit light headed, but dunno if it is from me not eating yet as I have no appetite today.
I've informed people I have been around the last two weeks of my positive tests.
I have had 2 shots and a booster - all pfizer.

Kellogh is originally Scottish in origin, isn't it? Like the cereal? ;)

Kill or Cill, btw, means 'church' in Irish. So LOTS of stuff with that in their name here. So, Kill Lough or CIll Lough or CIll Lach or etc - would mean "The Church on the lake". My Greyhound's name is "Ceatharlach"; after the county I got her from. It means 'four lakes'.

So, anywho - my full time job in Ireland is working at a sighthound/Greyhound and dog rescue. Today we got in a freaking stunningly beautiful female lurcher(greyhound/shepherd cross). It looks to be an Aussie Shepherd or maybe Collie/Greyhound mix:

large.jpg

large.jpg

Also snowed the other day:

large.jpg

I was in Wales and Oxford, dropping off a load of Greyhounds to the local rescues there to rehome in England. I'll see about getting a few images from England and Wales up. I am with: PAWS Animal Rescue - Home - feel free to donate if you are feelin' generous. Even a few bucks helps a lot. And now yer also helping feed me, too, since I mostly work for room and board. ;)

We currently have over 80 dogs and hounds on site.

Kellogh is originally Scottish in origin, isn't it? Like the cereal? ;)

Kill or Cill, btw, means 'church' in Irish. So LOTS of stuff with that in their name here. So, Kill Lough or CIll Lough or CIll Lach or etc - would mean "The Church on the lake". My Greyhound's name is "Ceatharlach"; after the county I got her from. It means 'four lakes'.

So, anywho - my full time job in Ireland is working at a sighthound/Greyhound and dog rescue. Today we got in a freaking stunningly beautiful female lurcher(greyhound/shepherd cross). It looks to be an Aussie Shepherd or maybe Collie/Greyhound mix:

large.jpg

large.jpg

Also snowed the other day:

large.jpg

I was in Wales and Oxford, dropping off a load of Greyhounds to the local rescues there to rehome in England. I'll see about getting a few images from England and Wales up. I am with: PAWS Animal Rescue - Home - feel free to donate if you are feelin' generous. Even a few bucks helps a lot. And now yer also helping feed me, too, since I mostly work for room and board. ;)

We currently have over 80 dogs and hounds on site.
Several years ago we got a greyhound he was originally from Tipperary, raced all over, his name was Mega Patch, we got him from Benefield Northands thru the Retired Greyhound Trust we called him Blouis he came with us here to Bulgaria and sadly died of old age, quite a character.

Lifestyle by choice, not by chance.

So yesterday in the evening it got worse. Full blown flu. Loads of coughing, some fever(but not real bad), aches and pain sorta thing.
Lungs burning. Loads of crap outta the lungs. I had to swallow lozenges like they were going out of style.
Though the arcoxia is doing it's thing, I can feel my lungs burning and the aches from all the coughing today.
Very light headed last night.
This morning I feel better. Coughing, but not producing much. Wheezing a bit. Stuffed up purdy good. Gonna hit myself with the steroid nasal spray and another round of arcoxia once I get some food into me. Man I would love a hot bath right about now, but we have no bath. :(

Damn Wes, it sounds like the Delta variant. We all hope you get through it soon, bath or not. Pretty much everybody I hang around is vaccinated and boosted, however, my clientele is a different story. Often no mask, and Trumpy followers that think vaccines are for sissy's. We frontline workers were the last to get vaccinated, following the homeless and convicts in prison. I try to double mask when i can.

As to "Merica" being great again, it is, what it is. Portland is pretty bad, and has me seeing the progressive movement, that i had somewhat supported, as pretty much anarchy.

I've been selling off saws and have a small Redwood to take down in my yard. I had better get to it before I have to call a climber. Between big rheumatoid issues, a serious spinal stenosis, and two doc's arguing as to whether I have MS. I'm pretty tired after my 10 hour work day. Fuxing saws now feel heavy.

Today I go to Kaiser for a leg electrocution so they can measure my reaction. I sure hope it jolts my legs into working better with fewer tremors.

Good to hear you have a pup, mine died a year ago and I am without as I cannot walk one. I inherited two cats from a buddy i grew up with. He died of covid in 2020 and I helped what I could.

Your issues sound worse than mine, so get well, and get after that cherry tree. I do miss the times we hung out together.

Hope things go better for the both of us.

I dunno whch variant I have. I'm sure as hell not gonna go to any clinic or GP right now, and they wouldn't want me anyways.
So today I felt a lot better. Things are clearing up. Good energy, and can breathe well.
The wife and the MIL aren't infected, so hopefully the shots kept my viral load low and actually made the difference.
So over all not too bad. Like 3 days of flu and one day of coughing.

I did have a bit of a headache here and there. But I have to admit riding through covid with Arcoxia is very much cheating.
There were times I knew I was in bad shape, knew I had trouble breathing and could feel my lungs on fire, but the Arcoxia suppressed the pain and most of the inflammation.
Today I can breathe fairly well. I just feel like I am over a flu.
Having said that, I had swine flu back in uh 2009? That was freaking brutal! I have like a week of my life under it I don't even remember. I had walking pneumonia for months before I went to a clinic and they gave me steroids and anti biotics. I asked them if they were sure it was swine flu and they said 'We can test for it, but everyone that has shown up to this clinic we tested has had it'. Since then, no flu or even cold I have caught in Europe has affected me as much as they used to.

Dang, what a depressing thread this has turned into. LOL

I had Covid January 2020 and now Omicron January 2022. Omicron is a piece of cake compared to the original.

I've barely had a cough but every inch of me ached the first few days, even my eyeballs. That is mostly gone but now lethargic and foggy brained. Felt great last night and figured it was over but still had a + test this morning and the symptoms have come back.

Latest posts

Back