Which Limbing saw with good anti-vibe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, a couple years ago I'd argue with you but the new Echos are great saw at a great price., For a 50cc saw you cant beat a 4910 or even the older 490. Even the 400 with a muffler mod is a great dependable 40cc saw.
A 620 with its unlimited coil and a 28” bar is a whole lot of fun. A whole lot cheaper than a MS660 too. 🤟🏼

Was just gifted w Stihl 201 CEM. Therefore my two goto saws are now the 261 and the 201. The 362 and 461… are rough on hands and shoulders these days. Strongly recommend the 201. But if not given to me I dont think I would pay 800+ for it. Apparently they are readily available in ATL area now but no one budges on price.

My Echo CS-3900 is also 25 years old and I have never been able to kill it:
View attachment 968019
Anything but questionable and really hard to find because owners like me keep them.
Crankshaft seal went And my echo dealer shut down. So it’s time was up. My 40+ old pd210 blower is still going strong.

Ive seen those for sale and wondered about them. What do you like about them? Ive thought about having a saw like that to loan to friends when they ask to borrow a saw lol.
When you get one you won't want to loan it.
A loan saw shoud be 20lb wt, tuned rich like thunder,
a good painfull timing advance, oiler flat open
and a full skip, thats what borrowers deserve..

If you can find one a Husqvarna 339xp or MS200, 339xp much less expensive to buy than stihl. 339xp Goofy looking saw but great balance with 16" bar and rips with a simple muffler mod

If you can find one a Husqvarna 339xp or MS200, 339xp much less expensive to buy than stihl. 339xp Goofy looking saw but great balance with 16" bar and rips with a simple muffler mod
The 339 does have a rather advanced anti vibe system. Not sure why the top handle variants had different vibration ratings Jonsorend vs Husqvarna. It is not a current model, the air filter will likely need cleaned every tank of gasoline. I guess what size and hp are wanted and what limbing entails will come into play. Post 2 here isn't a bad suggestion.

A loan saw shoud be 20lb wt, tuned rich like thunder,
a good painfull timing advance, oiler flat open
and a full skip, thats what borrowers deserve..
LOL…. From the guy who loaned out an 800$ Polesaw that was damaged….

Used to have a 339XP until it was stolen. Great little saw. Felt like it punched above it's weight for a 40cc saw. Could say the same thing about Stihl's MS241. Sadly, they don't make either anymore. This winter I went even smaller with Echo's 3511. Almost 2 lbs lighter than 339 and 241. If you get one for a limber, you'll probably end up using it for a lot more stuff.

Used to have a 339XP until it was stolen. Great little saw. Felt like it punched above it's weight for a 40cc saw. Could say the same thing about Stihl's MS241. Sadly, they don't make either anymore. This winter I went even smaller with Echo's 3511. Almost 2 lbs lighter than 339 and 241. If you get one for a limber, you'll probably end up using it for a lot more stuff.
Wish I would have acquired at 241 when they were available…. All i hear of them is positive!

Echo 4910 or Stihl ms261
Those two are worlds apart, and the only thing the 4910 does better or is better in is the cost savings.
The 4910 is a fine saw for a budget saw, but the 261 beats it in every way possible.
I guess one other area is that the 4910 has a standard carb so it will never need to be hooked to a computer. The 4910 is a turd for the weight though in stock form, they liven up a bit with a muffler mod which is easy though, but the 261 would still take it's lunch and it has many other features that make it far superior.
stihl 201 rear handle, husky 435, ms250 are all good light little saws...the 435 and 250 will handle a buried 16" bar dogging into hardwood very well and snappy for small branches.
Isn't the 435 the smallest cc saw on the 435/445/450 chassis?
The 450 husky is my favorite plastic cased stock saw, it has the same specs as the husky 353. They handle great, have the quick clips on the top cover, and they are orange :p.
The 201 rear handle is a great saw, and one of my most used saws on jobs, then I use the ms200 rear handle for firewood to keep it clean and shiny :).

A loan saw should be 20lb wt, tuned rich like thunder,
a good painful timing advance, oiler flat open
and a full skip, that's what borrowers deserve..
I keep my Craftsman 4218 exactly for this purpose: loaning it out. I usually check to make sure it runs OK with a sharp chain, and then it never gets anyone upset. But, it doesn't weigh 20 lb. Very few borrowers know that it was made by Poulan to keep cost down. A guy leaving town gave it to me 13 years ago. It actually cuts limbs very well. So far, it's always been returned unscathed.

Back