Which saw do I want?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

Hickahollar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Congrats on the ms180. It's a fine lightweight saw and will work nice for cleaning up and brush cutting. As for a 2nd saw I would suggest a 60cc saw class. because you said you wouldn't use it but 3 times a year I would stick to the cheaper home owner saws. But feel free to buy a pro saw if you got extra money. My saw plan was originally a ms250 and a cheap poulan from Wal-Mart. I still have both but I needed a bigger saw so I bought a pro ms362 59cc. It is a wonderful firewood saw and light enough that I pretty much fell the tree and buck up the whole tree leaving only the small stuff 3inches and under for my ms250. My choice for a second saw with very little usage would be for me a sthil ms311, 391,pro362 ,or pro ms400. However for the price the cs590 timberwolf is very awesome but I have no run time on one. I know nothing about the huskys other than my 40cc poulan is basically a heavy cheap husky but it too runs well. However all non pro saws will weigh about 14 pounds no bar the prosaws are about 12.5 pounds. In this 60cc class.

samaritan

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've had m yStihl ms251c for 6 yrs, and its been good, but after what I've been goin through lately with it (transfer cvr fell off), amongst other things, I'll never pay that much for a saw again.

GeeVee

East Coast Champion
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that you mention this. A relative bought one a couple of months ago and he's been showing it to me, and keeps talking about how much he likes it. I'm seriously considering the CS-590 as it seems like a lot of saw for the money. I just think it's going to be a bit too big for small stuff. So if I go this route, I'll need something smaller as well.

The MS261 I'd initially considered is seeming less appealing to me with the more thought I put into it. I get that I need a saw more now than I have in the past, but if my 250 lasted me 15-18 years, I just can't see the 261 lasting all that much longer than that, even if it is a better saw. Stuff just breaks down over time. I just can't see how I'd get my moneys worth. I could also end up with two saws for the same price which seems a lot more appealing.

I'm really strongly considering the CS-590, then picking up a smaller saw such as a Stihl MS180 or an Echo CS-310. These are the two top contenders. As much as I want to avoid Stihl this go around, I'm really liking the MS180. It seems like the combo would cost me slightly less than a single MS261, but do a lot more. Plus I'd have two saws that I could use if I got one stuck, one was down, or I have a friend helping me cut stuff. It just seems like a big advantage, so it's the way I'm leaning right now. Any opinions? Do you all think this is the way to go, or am I better off to forgo this idea and just spend the money on a single saw? Any opinions on which is the better choice of the two small saws? The only reason I wouldn't want to go this route is if I'm buying a saw that is going to be junk, or dead in 3 years versus getting a saw that will last me the next 15-20 years.

I'm thinking if I do end of fixing my MS250 at some point in addition to the other two, I'd really have a saw for pretty much any job I'd encounter.
I'm going to plus 1 the 590 and 310 combo, very reliable will start every time.

Latest posts