Which saw do I want?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I made the first saw purchase tonight. Hopefully I don't regret it even though I said I didn't want another Stihl. I feel kind of bad that I didn't follow a lot of the advice I was given. I had started looking at the CS-3510 for a small saw and still the 590 as a large saw. Then I ran across a clean looking Stihl MS180 on Facebook Marketplace. I ended up picking it up for $150. Hopefully I didn't do too bad on it, but you guys can tell me if I did. You never can believe what people tell you when selling something and I don't know how to tell the age of it, but it looks fairly clean. The seller said he bought it new in 2021, and claimed he'd only used it 10 times or so. I tend to believe him due to how it looks. He'd added the felling dogs, but it was otherwise stock and seemed to run great in the parking lot.

My other thought was that if I end up not liking it, I could probably get most of my money back.

JbTtqea.jpg

68H4moi.jpg

Now I just need to get a big saw. I'm still mostly leaning towards the Echo CS-590. Have any of you all that have them had any issues with chain tension? I keep seeing two complaints posted on various sites and that's that the chain seems to keep coming loose. It makes me wonder if the tensioner is slipping, or if it's just stretching. Or if the people are adjusting it improperly or what. Others have complained about hard starting. However, other reviewers seem to love it. My relative that recently purchased one loves his, but hasn't used it enough to notice if there are any problems.
The MS180 isn’t a bad saw for what it is. It’s a small saw for small wood. As far as the CS-590 chain tension issue. I have a CS-600P which is very similar, in fact they look identical for the most part. Never had any chain tension issues with it. It’s been (and still is) a great saw.

Well, I made the first saw purchase tonight. Hopefully I don't regret it even though I said I didn't want another Stihl. I feel kind of bad that I didn't follow a lot of the advice I was given. I had started looking at the CS-3510 for a small saw and still the 590 as a large saw. Then I ran across a clean looking Stihl MS180 on Facebook Marketplace. I ended up picking it up for $150. Hopefully I didn't do too bad on it, but you guys can tell me if I did. You never can believe what people tell you when selling something and I don't know how to tell the age of it, but it looks fairly clean. The seller said he bought it new in 2021, and claimed he'd only used it 10 times or so. I tend to believe him due to how it looks. He'd added the felling dogs, but it was otherwise stock and seemed to run great in the parking lot.

My other thought was that if I end up not liking it, I could probably get most of my money back.

JbTtqea.jpg

68H4moi.jpg

Now I just need to get a big saw. I'm still mostly leaning towards the Echo CS-590. Have any of you all that have them had any issues with chain tension? I keep seeing two complaints posted on various sites and that's that the chain seems to keep coming loose. It makes me wonder if the tensioner is slipping, or if it's just stretching. Or if the people are adjusting it improperly or what. Others have complained about hard starting. However, other reviewers seem to love it. My relative that recently purchased one loves his, but hasn't used it enough to notice if there are any problems.
You can't go wrong for that price , with the cutting you have planned !

The MS180 isn’t a bad saw for what it is. It’s a small saw for small wood. As far as the CS-590 chain tension issue. I have a CS-600P which is very similar, in fact they look identical for the most part. Never had any chain tension issues with it. It’s been (and still is) a great saw.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm really excited to try this thing out. I'm liking the feel of it a lot. While I don't plan to fell any trees with it, I think I'm really going to like it for limbs and small stuff.

It's good to hear that your Echo isn't having any tension issues. It's so hard to read these reviews and know if the user has any idea what they are doing or not.

Pretty well a no brainer , your old stihl served you well . Time for something new . I also hate dealers locally , especially Stihl . Fortunately you have a simple solution as pretty well everyone has already advised Echo provides very fine saws for a very fair price . I would have recommended a CS400 . However the CS3510 may also be a capable option . If a larger saw is required for a 2nd saw the CS352 or CS590 Timber Wolf or CS620 are world class fire wood providers . The only downside as advised is Echo's are extremely lean tuned out of the factory . If you have access to the mechanic ensure its tuned in the cut a little fat . Or the dealership manager is aware of your concerns within the matter . There are carb tuning drivers available. on fliebay for around $12 after the carb limiter are removed to easily tune the saw once out of warranty yourself . Good luck brother !
Echo has a 5 year non commercial warranty. Kind of long to wait.

Echo has a 5 year non commercial warranty. Kind of long to wait.
Absolutely , I have never relied on any saw warranty , the local Echo Dealer has good integrity . However have heard numerous horror stories with owners trying to establish a claim . That is why I stated have the saw tuned at the dealer properly from the get go . Tuning your saw is easy , once the limit or caps are removed !

Not a bad choice for a small saw. You can take the side tensioner from your old 250 and install it into the 180. I did that little swap on my own saw and it makes chain tensioning a much simpler task.
As for the larger saw a good 50cc should do or a 60cc. I have to admit I take only my 261 when I collect firewood, it cuts 18” hardwood with little effort. Although the ms400 is looking very good for wood over that size, to me anyway. But it’s hard to justify the money for an occasional need.

I typically stick to old Macs and Homelites, but wanted a 590 for a while and finally scored a nice one at a decent price on evilbay. I wasn't disappointed in the least. Starts easy, runs great, responds quite well to muffler mod. First time out with it I was bucking a sizeable blowdown for my BIL and it didn't hesitate at any point including being full 20" bar buried (until I hit something and dulled the chain)

They DO have an issue with their carbs (which the one I got had) which is easily fixed, but make sure you open up that high needle after doing this. As I recall several models are afflicted.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/echo-590-timberwolf-h-setting.301438/page-6#post-7741275

What are you guys opinions on the Echo CS-620p vs the CS-590? I feel like I was leaning heavily towards the 590, but a few YouTube videos and old posts I've read now have me wondering if I should just spend the extra for the 620P. I'm not that worried about saving a second cutting through a log, which is what most comparisons seem to be based on. I'm more interested in if it's likely to last me 2x as long, then it would be worth the extra cost.

What are you guys opinions on the Echo CS-620p vs the CS-590? I feel like I was leaning heavily towards the 590, but a few YouTube videos and old posts I've read now have me wondering if I should just spend the extra for the 620P. I'm not that worried about saving a second cutting through a log, which is what most comparisons seem to be based on. I'm more interested in if it's likely to last me 2x as long, then it would be worth the extra cost.
I'm not familiar with either model but seriously doubt the CS-620P will last twice as long. Either saw would be a good choice.

JbTtqea.jpg

68H4moi.jpg

Congrats.
I'd just get your hands on your relatives saw and give it a go. Most tensioning problems are operator error, the guys I know who have had/have the 590/620 echos like them a lot.

Congrats.
I'd just get your hands on your relatives saw and give it a go. Most tensioning problems are operator error, the guys I know who have had/have the 590/620 echos like them a lot.
Yeah, I'm going over to his house tomorrow night. I'm going to try to check out the CS-590 while I'm there and see what I think of it.

I regularly get 10-10 McCullochs and Super xl12s for under 100.00$ , and they've been putting wood in a truck for decades or dropping trees. If you want a warranty to make you sleep better than you pay for it .
I bought my 044 with a badly scored piston for 175.00 , I put a meteor in it after a good cleaning and it is a great saw for 20-28" wood.
Just some options out there that don't have to be new,and plenty of pro saws that will cut circles around what might be suggested.

Everyone with land needs 2 saws. Sorry your crank broke and I hear ya on these high price brands. Your ms250 is a nice smaller saw but if I’m paying $700 for a saw I’d go get the Stihl 362. I’ve tried the Echo equivalents and just wasn’t impressed with the chain speed and weight. I now have a MS362 with M tronics and love it. We have several at my work and they have been great for the last 3 years. I filter all my gas and run 40:1 mix. My MS 251 is my second saw and my limping saw is an MS 172 I think it is. Clean filtered non meth gas is key for longevity along with a sharp chain. Dull chains are bad for everyone and your saw. I hope you find what your looking for.

Everyone with land needs 2 saws. Sorry your crank broke and I hear ya on these high price brands. Your ms250 is a nice smaller saw but if I’m paying $700 for a saw I’d go get the Stihl 362. I’ve tried the Echo equivalents and just wasn’t impressed with the chain speed and weight. I now have a MS362 with M tronics and love it. We have several at my work and they have been great for the last 3 years. I filter all my gas and run 40:1 mix. My MS 251 is my second saw and my limping saw is an MS 172 I think it is. Clean filtered non meth gas is key for longevity along with a sharp chain. Dull chains are bad for everyone and your saw. I hope you find what your looking for.
I tend to agree. Not sure what your property is like, but around here there are always a few trees that need a bigger saw. A pro grade 50cc saw with a 16" bar is light weight and has enough power to do most of the work. You can go with a 60cc pro saw instead if you want something that will do the work, but do it faster and you don't mind carrying around an extra 2-3 pounds of weight on the power head. Run a 16" or 18" bar most of the time to keep the overall weight down. Occasionally you will need a saw that will pull a 28" or 32" bar with some authority. There you're into a 70 to 90 cc saw. 90cc might be a bit of overkill, but it will pull 42" if it needs to, so I recommend going that route. Run it with a 25" or 28" bar most of the time, and have a longer bar for when you need it.

For a big saw that doesn't get used much, I like the Farmertec saws. They are inexpensive, and their designs are robust BUT they are heavy and there are a few parts that have to be replaced before they are ever started. If your able to replace them on your own, you can be into a 92cc 066 clone for under $300. Not the route I'd go for my primary saw, but a good option for the occasional use. I wouldn't go with anything less than 70cc from them. Less than that, I think it's worth the $$ to buy a new or used pro saw if for no other reason than the reduction in weight.

I recently shelved my Stihl 180s for a Dolmar 3400, but with a sharp chain a 180 is a nice light saw if you don't force it when cutting, as the clutch is soft and when it slips and heats up the nearby plastic parts suffer. I still have 3 180s on the shelf as they are handy camp and truck saws. Personally in your position would be looking for a used Husky 346/350/351/353 or a Stihl 026 as they have old school carburetor adjustments, which if they have an issue a trip to the dealer isn't required like the new computer carbs. The 026 is the easiest saw of the group to work on, but Husky saws have better AV. A little better parts availability for the 026, but it isn't that much better than the Husky saws.

I recently shelved my Stihl 180s for a Dolmar 3400, but with a sharp chain a 180 is a nice light saw if you don't force it when cutting, as the clutch is soft and when it slips and heats up the nearby plastic parts suffer. I still have 3 180s on the shelf as they are handy camp and truck saws. Personally in your position would be looking for a used Husky 346/350/351/353 or a Stihl 026 as they have old school carburetor adjustments, which if they have an issue a trip to the dealer isn't required like the new computer carbs. The 026 is the easiest saw of the group to work on, but Husky saws have better AV. A little better parts availability for the 026, but it isn't that much better than the Husky saws.
What I don't like with the Stihl 170/80 is the soft flexy handles, the Dolmar/Makita is super steady - even at the smallest most lightweight saws. I gave away my 3200 to a senior neighbor recently but I loved it. He just needed it more than I.

I have a personally modded Echo CS 590. Love it. It is a big heavy saw and use a Stihl 250 for lighter work, but that echo is wicked strong and cuts well with a sharp chain. I have the two saw approach. Did have three but my old Husky 36 finally got to be too aggravating. If I had to replace the 250, I’d get a cs3510 without a doubt.

I loved my echo 590 until I bought my 462. I know you can’t compare a $400 saw to a $1200 saw but it has way more power and is a bit lighter. I had a 20 on the echo and keep the 20 on the 462 mostly as well but also have a 28 for it.

Latest posts

Back