Which saw should I choose?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have the small saw for limbing or small size stuff covered. I would step up to a used 390xp or MS660. I keep a 24in on my 385xp and it just zips through wood. This size also allows you to step up in bar size if need be also

All good comments here.

Of the 3 you’re looking at, the echo is the best made. But since none of them are really exciting saws, I would get the cheaper rancher just to save some money.

but listen to the other comments. A pro 60cc saw or any 70cc saw will change everything about how you cut and give you more smiles per mile x 1000 and hold up way longer

As you’ve probably seen after some of these comments, a) you won’t find a new 70cc pro saw in your budget and b) this website and the other like it will spend your money quick!

I went from a echo 590 last year to a stihl 462. Holy cow what a difference all around. The price difference is huge as well as the performance. The stihl weighs less and I instantly sold my 590 as I would never use it again. I ran it for 3 years and have absolutely no complaints about it, I also got almost all of my money back out of it. Budget wise you can’t lose with echo.

I am looking to upgrade my saw. I currently have:

Stihl ms 180 with 16" bar
Dolmar 421 with 18" bar
Dolmar 510 with 18" & 24" bar

I currently cut about 12 cords per year for myself and my parents but will be increasing to probably 20 cords a year to make some side money. I'm looking at getting a chainsaw in the 60cc range so i can properly run my 24" bar on hardwoods. My budget is up to 650.00.

I have 3 choices I narrowed it down to:

Husqvarna 460 Rancher - certified refurbished -$390.00
Husqvarna 460 Rancher - new - $550
ECHO CS-620PW - new - $600

I am leaning towards the certified refurbished Husky because of the price. But have read that the new Echo 620pw is something that I should consider.
What do you think I should do?
I think I may have said it before to you, but welcome to AS John, in case I didn't.

As far as the saws listed, I'd want the 620.
Not sure you are aware, but the 620PW has a wrap handle, the 620P has a standard handle and is a little cheaper. If it was my only large saw I would not want a wrap handle as it takes away some of the versatility, gets in the way, not as good for flush cuts on stumps, and it weighs more.

But I think a 70cc saw would be a good move up with having the 421, then down the rd add a 50cc saw to the mix.

Where in Ohio are you at.

Yes, the ms400 is a great saw but was not mentioned as one of the three options the OP offered.
Yeah, but you know we're gonna give our two cents even if its not asked for lol.

Have you ran the 400, I haven't heard that many great things about it, particularly from guys who have a number of saws, except from @farmerand I think he gets kickbacks from stihl :laugh: . I need to get my hands on one that's been broke in I guess.
I like the 462, and for the weight I can't see wanting the 400. Just wish the 462 handled like a husky, at least it has spring AV and an angled handle even if it does need a bit more angle.

I think I may have said it before to you, but welcome to AS John, in case I didn't.

As far as the saws listed, I'd want the 620.
Not sure you are aware, but the 620PW has a wrap handle, the 620P has a standard handle and is a little cheaper. If it was my only large saw I would not want a wrap handle as it takes away some of the versatility, gets in the way, not as good for flush cuts on stumps, and it weighs more.

But I think a 70cc saw would be a good move up with having the 421, then down the rd add a 50cc saw to the mix.

Where in Ohio are you at.
I admit, I am starting to lean to towards the 620. Just have to wait a few more months to finish saving up the funds. :)
I live in Eastern part of ohio, just a few miles into the country from Hannibal, Ohio(very tiny town on banks of Ohio River).

I admit, I am starting to lean to towards the 620. Just have to wait a few more months to finish saving up the funds. :)
I live in Eastern part of ohio, just a few miles into the country from Hannibal, Ohio(very tiny town on banks of Ohio River).
They are good saws, echos that is; never ran a 620, but I've only hear good about them from many folks who's opinions trust.
Many of my inlaws are in Ohio, one of my BIL's just moved from Canton to Ft Wayne In, most the others are in NW ohio. I bought a nice little kubota just east of you this summer across the PA/Ohio line.

I know it's not in your option list but I am very happy with the 3 saws that have. A 20 year old Echo CS340, a Dolmar 510 that wears an 18" bar that I bought used ( and still am fighting how to start it without pulling the cord 50x) and a Dolmar 7900 that has a 24" bar and also a 32" reduced weight bar. I swapped the 18" bar and drive sprocket on the 510 so I can use the same chain that I use on the 7900. I make my chains from a bulk spool.

Realistically, any wood that is greater in dia than 16" I use the 7900 on. It's amazing how fast it cuts and how much grunt it has. The only mod I did to it was get the larger air filter. I run both the med and large saws on 100LL aviation fuel.

If you can swing it I'd get a 7900.

If you are only doing 20 cords a year, you already have plenty of saws. I have 3 saws and I cut over 100 cords a year and I hardly use all 3. In fact one saw and a back up is all you need. I think you just WANT a new saw, you don't need a new one unless what you have are junk.

I am looking to upgrade my saw. I currently have:

Stihl ms 180 with 16" bar
Dolmar 421 with 18" bar
Dolmar 510 with 18" & 24" bar

I currently cut about 12 cords per year for myself and my parents but will be increasing to probably 20 cords a year to make some side money. I'm looking at getting a chainsaw in the 60cc range so i can properly run my 24" bar on hardwoods. My budget is up to 650.00.

I have 3 choices I narrowed it down to:

Husqvarna 460 Rancher - certified refurbished -$390.00
Husqvarna 460 Rancher - new - $550
ECHO CS-620PW - new - $600

I am leaning towards the certified refurbished Husky because of the price. But have read that the new Echo 620pw is something that I should consider.
What do you think I should do?
I would look into buying a 2020 model 562XP for slightly more money. I paid $617.00 plus shipping for mine last January from Charlie Stahls in NY. He runs some great sales like 20% off.

Back