Which saw should I choose?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnmcpeek1210

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my saw. I currently have:

Stihl ms 180 with 16" bar
Dolmar 421 with 18" bar
Dolmar 510 with 18" & 24" bar

I currently cut about 12 cords per year for myself and my parents but will be increasing to probably 20 cords a year to make some side money. I'm looking at getting a chainsaw in the 60cc range so i can properly run my 24" bar on hardwoods. My budget is up to 650.00.

I have 3 choices I narrowed it down to:

Husqvarna 460 Rancher - certified refurbished -$390.00
Husqvarna 460 Rancher - new - $550
ECHO CS-620PW - new - $600

I am leaning towards the certified refurbished Husky because of the price. But have read that the new Echo 620pw is something that I should consider.
What do you think I should do?

Dolmar 421 with 18" bar

I currently cut about 12 cords per year for myself and my parents but will be increasing to probably 20 cords a year to make some side money. I'm looking at getting a chainsaw in the 60cc range so i can properly run my 24" bar on hardwoods. My budget is up to 650.00.

I am leaning towards the certified refurbished Husky because of the price. But have read that the new Echo 620pw is something that I should consider.
The Echo is the best saw of the lot by far.

I have used my MS362CM to run a 24" bar in fir and hardwood. It's slow and it does not oil as much as I'd like for a bar that size. When I need a 24" bar I prefer to put it on a larger saw. But when I only need 18" or 20" bars the 362 is fine. On smaller wood I prefer the shorter bar and smaller saw.

If you're rarely using that 24" bar a 60cc saw will do ok but if you're using it a lot you'll be happier with more power.

Either way you might try buying a good condition pro level saw.

Dolmar 421 with 18" bar

460 Rancher, given you are on a budget. Ready to spend? Find a MS390, and put a 28" set-up on it.....

A used husky 372 should be able to be found within your budget. Many would argue its one of the best larger all purpose saws, and would be my #1 pick to cut firewood with a 24" bar, in your price range. I'd fully agree that a 562 is a awesome saw if you're staying in 60cc class. If you go with the echo, just make sure you have dealer support, be willing to mod the muffler, and turn up the fuel to be more rich, as most are set lean from the factory. As always please let us know what you decide on. 👍😀 Pictures are great too.

Northern Maverick is right on the money. I have re-conditioned a dozen of those big bore Husqvarnas of old; they flat out roar when in tune. Workhorse is an understatement.

The ECHO 590 Timber Wolf, is a fine saw for the homeowner with a small wood lot, and dead fall to harvest once a year. It can't stand shoulder to shoulder with a 372..........and most casual woodsman don't mod engines........

Dolmar 421 with 18" bar

20 face cords or 20 full cords makes quite a bit of difference in the amount of wood annually.

70cc and 20-24", My go to for the last 35yrs has been a Stihl 044 and a 20" bar!

I don't disagree with any of these posts. One big question is whether you want/able to mess around with a used saw, or need/want a new saw. The Echo 590 or 620P are great for the new saw at your price point. I have the 590 with a 24" bar. It does everything just fine. Starts, oils, cuts, balances, etc. The 372 will be better, but it would be used. Some of us like that, messing with the saws is part of the fun for us. Hope it helps.

Yep, get a 70cc saw and the rest will not get used. I picked up used MS440 for $400 locally a few years ago. Keep eye open here or put a want add up here. Ran buddies 572xp, i think thats what was. Smooth saw but $$$$$$. Like my stihl for about everything. 28" bar can take care of a lot

421 is the same as the ea4300 Makita isn't it? When I got mine this year I sold my ms180. The 4300 is plenty light enough and made the smaller stihl redundant. I use it with a 15"bar and it's fast.
I have a 365 as my other saw so obviously I think Northern maverick is on the money.

Keep your 421, sell the 180 and buy a used good 365 or if 372. You may find the 510 gets little use then and could consider selling that. Ha! Had 3 saws, asked about a4th, I suggest selling 2! Didn't expect that

421 is the same as the ea4300 Makita isn't it? When I got mine this year I sold my ms180. The 4300 is plenty light enough and made the smaller stihl redundant. I use it with a 15"bar and it's fast.
I have a 365 as my other saw so obviously I think Northern maverick is on the money.

Keep your 421, sell the 180 and buy a used good 365 or if 372. You may find the 510 gets little use then and could consider selling that. Ha! Had 3 saws, asked about a4th, I suggest selling 2! Didn't expect that
Never used a 372 but the 365 impresses me more and more each time I use it.
Parts are plentiful and they are easy to work on.

OP,

I have the ECHO CS-620PW, went through kind of the same search you are going through now when I needed a larger bar saw. I chose that one based on some reviews, past experience as well as a lower price. I have 4 other Stihls and one smaller Echo pro saw. I love all the saws I have, but didn't want to cough up the extra $200-$300 for a similar saw as the 620.

I'm not a pro, but do depend on wood for heat all winter - and cut about as much wood as you are going to. I will say the tipping point is the little Echo (18" bar) that I have had and beat for at least 10 years and it just keeps kicking! (It had a tree dropped on it, and some hammering and a new handle and it runs as good as day 1)

So far nothing but good things to say about the saw. I run a 28" bar though Oak, Maple and everything else with 0 issues. I bought 4 extra chains and make sure I am always running a sharp chain. Just sharpen and rotate them through and it works great for me. It starts easy, cuts well and while it is heavy that's OK for what you are going to use it for. its not a limbing saw that's what my smaller ones are for!

Latest posts

Back