Which saw would you recommend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firearmjunky22

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m a new member. I’ve ran saws over the years but never owned one or looked into/bought one. I’m wanting my first one for any tree cutting I decide to do around the property. Looking at the used market there are some older still 026/036 saws locally. They seem to float around 300-400. Some are ported, some are stock. Obviously there’s the typical husky 450/455/460 etc and some of the echo’s like the 590. I ideally would like to spend under $400. What would you recommend? I want a good saw that will last. Something that’s not picky and requires a ton of maintenance. I like maintaining things but I also know this saw may sit more than it will be used.

Shopping used saws in that price range for your intended use, I would ignore brand and model (beyond just sticking with commonly sold models from major brands) and just shop for a well cared for example. Rather than look for model XYZ just look for a saw that hasn't been abused, isn't all beat up, starts easy hot or cold, and has clear evidence of maintenance and care.

If buying new, the echo 590 is the most saw for the money, not the fastest or the lightest, but dead reliable and a 5 year warranty without buying oil or fuel mix. The echo red armor oil is very very good as well.
Would you recommend that over say a used 026 or 036 or a similar used husky?

Honestly I'd go battery powered if your really going to let it sit and not taking on any kind of "big" wood.
If your dead set on gas, and 50 ish cc saw from stihl, husqy or echo will do fine. Used I'd much rather the 026 from stihl. 350, 346xp or 353 would be the 3 I'd be looking at in the husqy 3 series. Echo makes some fine saws as well although I can't comment on any of their new models.
The models listed above all have a very good following to this day and parts are plentiful.

Would you recommend that over say a used 026 or 036 or a similar used husky?

It would depend on the condition of the used saw. 026 is basically a 50cc saw, 036 is 60cc. Echo 590 is 60cc. A nice used dolmar 6100 would be hard to beat. Any xp Husqvarna in that size class is good also 353 and 359 are magnesium crankcase saws.

It would depend on the condition of the used saw. 026 is basically a 50cc saw, 036 is 60cc. Echo 590 is 60cc. A nice used dolmar 6100 would be hard to beat. Any xp Husqvarna in that size class is good also 353 and 359 are magnesium crankcase saws.
Love my 359.... old dependable always runs..

if you can spend a few more bucks, I’d recommend getting a new saw. Just skip the kids toys and go for the Stihl ms261. It’s the best in its class, light, powerful and indestructible. They are difficult to find because they are so popular, but it’s worth the look….
I called around out of curiosity and found a “last years model left over” for $619.99. Part of me says spend the money but the other part thinks I won’t get that much use out of it.

I called around out of curiosity and found a “last years model left over” for $619.99. Part of me says spend the money but the other part thinks I won’t get that much use out of it.
They keep going up in price every day, it’s crazy….

my only concern with used saws is that if you aren’t a ‘saw guy’ they may become a money pit to repair. Unless you know the person you’re getting the saw from, getting one on the open market usually means a rebuild and usually includes cheap Chinese parts. Now not every saw is that way, but it’s a crap shoot.

you’re getting a lot of good opinions here, it’s not an easy decision….

They keep going up in price every day, it’s crazy….

my only concern with used saws is that if you aren’t a ‘saw guy’ they may become a money pit to repair. Unless you know the person you’re getting the saw from, getting one on the open market usually means a rebuild and usually includes cheap Chinese parts. Now not every saw is that way, but it’s a crap shoot.

you’re getting a lot of good opinions here, it’s not an easy decision….
I completely understand and I would have to imagine the vast majority of people probably don’t care for them as they should. It’s a lot of money. Honestly I’m leaning towards the 261, usually when I dive into something I dive deep so the 261 is right up my alley lol. I just feel “wrong” for spending that much

If you dive deep into things you’ll be a rebuilder in no time. Embrace it. And by your description of intended use I will be the odd man around here who doesn’t recommend a pro saw. I don’t know why everyone thinks homeowners NEED a $600 pro saw. Lots of terrific homeowner grade saws out there that are barely used. And almost no pro saws that are barely used. Professional cutters didn’t pay a premium to store them on their garage shelving. And if not a savvy shopper you may not be able to discern the ugly saw that is a refreshed monster from the ugly saw that is a worn out and abused commercial crew saw.

What part of NY? Get us in ballpark and maybe some of us can scan various selling sites for worthy candidates.

I paid $125 for a pretty darned nice cold two-pull Husqvarna 55. After detail cleaning, carb rebuild, clutch drum, muffler mod, and a new bar it was a very nice saw. Sold it for $250 because I have my eye on a Husqvarna 261 that I’ll upgrade with a piston. I will also rebuild carb and replace fuel lines and filter. Because I think that’s just a basic item for a used saw.

If you dive deep into things you’ll be a rebuilder in no time. Embrace it. And by your description of intended use I will be the odd man around here who doesn’t recommend a pro saw. I don’t know why everyone thinks homeowners NEED a $600 pro saw. Lots of terrific homeowner grade saws out there that are barely used. And almost no pro saws that are barely used. Professional cutters didn’t pay a premium to store them on their garage shelving. And if not a savvy shopper you may not be able to discern the ugly saw that is a refreshed monster from the ugly saw that is a worn out and abused commercial crew saw.
Because everyone that has a pro saw is a commercial feller/arborist. 😂 home owner grade saws are typically built pretty cheap with the thought if it needs fixed throw it out and buy new. Lots of plastic and poor designs that typically don't lend to ease of service. Typically pretty low powered for size and weight.

Then you have the farm/ranch/semi pro saws. Built better and typically (not always) share semblance/parts with their pro series counter parts. They are also (typically) heavier and lower power For their cc class.

Both lower class of saws have a very low hour rating for epa compliance, this tells us the manufacturer does not expect a long service life out of the saw. Typically 50 hours (or there abouts).

Then you have the pro series saws. Built to be light, powerful, and heavy duty. They are designed to last a long time under adverse conditions. The ones that prove themselves have had a very long track record and continue to be offered in newer varrients for a very long time. This is good because it leads to parts being available for a long time.

But this is also why I commented on getting a battery saw. It doesn't care if it sitsfor long periods of time, nor do the batteries. There are also many options to choose from these days with the added bonus of other equipment that uses the same batteries. I have a little dewalt model its quite handy for small tasks. Battery life is fairly decent as well. There are many other companies that make similar products that work quite well for the homeowner uses.

You are exactly right. Homeowners don't need expensive pro saws. But they are nice and it puts a smile on your face to run one. So if you like nice tools and can afford them, I don't see any harm in buying one.
I get it. I could get by with a Wild Thing. But prefer a Husqvarna. If one runs a saw just a week or two a year there aren’t very many smiles-per-dollar for a $1k pro saw. Conversely, I could buy a pro saw, or a $125 Husqvarna 55 and an Aimpoint PRO and a ten pack of D&H magazines. Where does one want to get their smiles? Sweating over a woodpile? Or dinging steel at the range? Am I speaking sense here?

I have a few saws and cut wood for a living. I like big saws, and I like long bars, and in general like husqvarna saws. But the saw that stays in the tool box no matter what I’m doing is a cheap Ace Hardware purchased Stihl ms180. Gets used for all kinds of ungodly things and sometimes runs a few times a week and other times it just sits there for months. Easy to start, sounds good and cuts good for a small saw. I don’t know what they cost now but I have maybe $190.00 in it and can recommend it for the occasional use you describe in your post.

Latest posts

Back