Which saw would you recommend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A crappy saw, well maintained, will do you better than a pro saw that sits neglected and unused.

What are you going to be cutting? How often?

If I were starting out and didn’t have any specific needs that demanded a big or expensive saw, an Echo CS400 would be at the top of my list. It seems like a versatile little machine and once you open it up so it can breathe better, they seem to cut well. If it were my saw, I would drop a bar size or two (13-14”) in the interest of the sort of balance and handling I prefer.

From there, I might add a CS620 with a 16” bar for most tasks and a 24” one for the occasional task that requires more bar.

You can get away with using a bigger saw than necessary for small saw tasks much easier if you’ve hung a small bar off it. Something to consider. I was out cutting invasives a couple weeks back, mostly buckthorn and honeysuckle in the 2-4” range, and I was running an Echo brush cutter with 8”/22t blade. It was enough for what was being cut. Another guy was cutting the same stuff with me using an Echo 590/20”, and that saw was kicking his butt for doing that kind of work, largely because of the long bar being used in tight, brushy quarters. I think a light 16” bar would have made his life easier, assuming he was intent on running that powerhead for this work.

There is not much that the Echo 400/620 combo, with a sharp chain and some sitting skill/experience under your belt, could not do. Felling, limbing, trimming, and firewood cutting. There might be machines that would do the job faster, but for most of us, so what?

Having run it some, I would disagree that the Stihl 261 is some magical log saber. It is a nice 50cc saw, nothing more. I would not stretch my budget for that machine; you’d be better off with a used Husqvarna 346xp in any case, and as a bonus you’d be able to get that saw and stay within your budget.

A used 026 and/or 036 would be a very solid place to start. No objections there. Those saws are proven, bulletproof platforms.
Never buy a crappy saw….your life isn’t worth it…that’s horrible advice..

and….magical log saber…I love it!!!! That’s exactly what the 261 is….lol

Echo 590 for best value. All around 60cc
MS261 if you have good dealer support and want to go 1st class.
Used market can be a crap shoot with what you end up with. Maybe look in the classified section here.

I think I’m leaning towards the cs590. The warranty is appealing and so is the price. I’m not overly concerned with resale value as I doubt I will be selling it

Biggest question is what are you going to do with it exactly? Obviously you are not using it very often so are you cutting occasional wood for a camp fire or cook out? Are you cleaning up occasional storm damage in your yard? Are you trying to maintain the lane ways on a farm? Are you occasionally going out with buddies who cut firewood? Do you just want a chainsaw? Each of these would lead me to recommend an entirely different saw.

How big are the trees? If you are dealing with entire trees, them battery powered saws are probably not a good option unless they are small trees (under 8" or so).

How fast do you want the saw to cut? In other words, are you just wanting a tool to get the job done, or are you willing to spend more for something with more power?

I personally like the 034/036 saws, they scream through wood with a 16" bar and will pull a 20" better than the 590. Aftermarket parts are very plentiful and they work excellent as a felling saw. ms290/ms390 is another good platform to start with, parts are cheap and plentiful and they are solid work horses not requiring special tools to fully rebuild that will pull 16-20" bars no problem. You would be surprised how much can be cut running a poulan wild thing with a 16" bar and a few sharp chains, run it all day on a liter of mix and half a quart of bar oil. You can find them running for 50-60 bucks or dead for 20-30 with good compression. As others suggested use the canned fuel if your burning less than a few gallons a year. If your buying a used saw take a log with you to really test it out before buying, pull the muffler to inspect the piston. A new carb and fuel line are a easy and cheap fix to have a decent ready to run saw.

How big are the trees? If you are dealing with entire trees, them battery powered saws are probably not a good option unless they are small trees (under 8" or so).

How fast do you want the saw to cut? In other words, are you just wanting a tool to get the job done, or are you willing to spend more for something with more power?
My friend you need to look at what stuff is available......
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/battery-saws/msa220cb/
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/chainsaws/battery-chainsaws/
https://www.worx.com/lawn-garden/chainsaws/cordless-chainsaws-pole-saws.html
https://www.dewalt.com/products/outdoor/cutting-pruning-tools/chainsaws
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Outdoor-Power-Equipment/Saws/2727-21HD
I did get to demo one of the first oregon battery powered saws, I was quite impressed with what it could do. They have only gotten better since. I own a little 12" dewalt 20 volt chain saw. It's quite capable and the batteries actually last pretty darn long. I'd roughly compare it to a 35-40cc saw. It does pretty good in oak. I would want to take any trees down with it, but for little stuff I find I grab it quite often. I'm not saying it's for everyone, and I definatly won't be changing over anytime soon, but don't assume you can't do decent work with what's available. The only advantage I see with them for home owner use is the near zero maintenance that come with them and not having issues with them if they sit.

I ended up with the cs590. $400 out the door. The local echo dealer I purchased through has sold them for years and said the most common issue they’ve ever seen is the handle breaks. Which is from operator error when it gets wedged in a tree and you start reaming on it to get it out.

I ended up with the cs590. $400 out the door. The local echo dealer I purchased through has sold them for years and said the most common issue they’ve ever seen is the handle breaks. Which is from operator error when it gets wedged in a tree and you start reaming on it to get it out.
Welcome to sawlandia!!!!!

Double Amen on the canned premix for occasional users. I've used big box store "TruFuel" 50:1 for in my Husky saws and Echo trimmer and pole pruners I and really like it. No hassle, no mixing, no problems with stale fuel, runs clean and strong. Far and away worth the few bucks more it costs.

Back