Which saw would you recommend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few saws and cut wood for a living. I like big saws, and I like long bars, and in general like husqvarna saws. But the saw that stays in the tool box no matter what I’m doing is a cheap Ace Hardware purchased Stihl ms180. Gets used for all kinds of ungodly things and sometimes runs a few times a week and other times it just sits there for months. Easy to start, sounds good and cuts good for a small saw. I don’t know what they cost now but I have maybe $190.00 in it and can recommend it for the occasional use you describe in your post.
We used them as truck saw at the township. I gotta agree they work in a pinch even if they are gutless.

We used them as truck saw at the township. I gotta agree they work in a pinch even if they are gutless.
I agree with your suggestion of a battery saw also. No, the 180 doesn’t have much power but it’s a good little saw if you aren’t in a hurry, or enjoy cutting from time to time around the house and want to make the fun last a little bit longer. I’m not really a Stihl guy, but I do like the 180 for it’s boxy old school Stihl profile too. And I still like to see 2 bar nuts on a small saw.

I get it. I could get by with a Wild Thing. But prefer a Husqvarna. If one runs a saw just a week or two a year there aren’t very many smiles-per-dollar for a $1k pro saw. Conversely, I could buy a pro saw, or a $125 Husqvarna 55 and an Aimpoint PRO and a ten pack of D&H magazines. Where does one want to get their smiles? Sweating over a woodpile? Or dinging steel at the range? Am I speaking sense here?
Shooting lead at the the split woodpile….compromise can be key to inner happiness….

as for the husky saws, who wants to wait an hour or two for the lowes kid to find the key to the saws…lol

Shooting lead at the the split woodpile….compromise can be key to inner happiness….

as for the husky saws, who wants to wait an hour or two for the lowes kid to find the key to the saws…lol
You humor is as dry as a stihls chain 😉😂

I never saw any discussion of WHAT the OP is going to be cutting with the saw. Seems pointless to make recommendations without knowing that. I probably use my little Echo 2511 more than any other saw - trimming trails, thinning small trees, girdling larger ones, etc., but firewood time means the 60cc comes out. Different uses - different tools. If I could only have one saw I'd probably go 50 cc. Echo 4910 would be my budget choice.

I got big saws and little saws, but the saw that does 90% of my work is the cs400 and will do any thing that an 18" bar can tackle. At well under 300 bucks it's a good choice. I bought one 4 years ago for $199.00 bucks, brother bought one at the same time. I drilled out the cat, pulled the caps off and re-tuned the carb and she runs like a "scalded dog".

if you can spend a few more bucks, I’d recommend getting a new saw. Just skip the kids toys and go for the Stihl ms261. It’s the best in its class, light, powerful and indestructible. They are difficult to find because they are so popular, but it’s worth the look….
I agree, Stihl 261 is a great saw, but for the money I recommend an Echo 4910, 50cc, works great with an 18" bar, will pull a 20. I have that a 590 and a 620.
For the money Echo can't be beat. $359. delivered and I agree with "ammoaddict" Echo red armor 2-stroke is GREAT.

Hello all, I’m a new member. I’ve ran saws over the years but never owned one or looked into/bought one. I’m wanting my first one for any tree cutting I decide to do around the property. Looking at the used market there are some older still 026/036 saws locally. They seem to float around 300-400. Some are ported, some are stock. Obviously there’s the typical husky 450/455/460 etc and some of the echo’s like the 590. I ideally would like to spend under $400. What would you recommend? I want a good saw that will last. Something that’s not picky and requires a ton of maintenance. I like maintaining things but I also know this saw may sit more than it will be used.
It’s hard to beat the Echo 590 for what you get. It blows any of the homeowner Husky’s away. Super reliable and great low end. It’s like the Toyota of saws. I have 4 pro saws and a 590 and can’t bring myself to ever get rid of it, I love that thing!

if you can spend a few more bucks, I’d recommend getting a new saw. Just skip the kids toys and go for the Stihl ms261. It’s the best in its class, light, powerful and indestructible. They are difficult to find because they are so popular, but it’s worth the look….
I've got a 024 which is a favorite of mine.

Based on your opening statement, I would recommend Echo. Excellent saws for the money. Now I LOVE my Husqvarna saws, but if I were a homeowner, my first choice would be the CS 501P, and second choice would be the CS 590. The Japanese make damn fine 2-cycle engines. Either should outlast most consumer-grade “Barbie tools”.

JQ

No, get the 261 for 620. It will hold its value best if you decide to sell it, or it will outlive you and your children will inherit it. And 619 is a smoking good price.

I get it. I could get by with a Wild Thing. But prefer a Husqvarna. If one runs a saw just a week or two a year there aren’t very many smiles-per-dollar for a $1k pro saw. Conversely, I could buy a pro saw, or a $125 Husqvarna 55 and an Aimpoint PRO and a ten pack of D&H magazines. Where does one want to get their smiles? Sweating over a woodpile? Or dinging steel at the range? Am I speaking sense here?

Perfect sense. If I didn't enjoy saws like I do and I was just using it as a tool to get a job done, them absolutely I would spend the least amount possible and buy more ammo. I have a very old 50 and a newer 545. The old 50 still runs great and will cut anything I need it to. The 545 is just nicer to run, lighter, faster and better AV. A man just had to decide how he wants to spend his money. He has gotten some very good advice on here.

A crappy saw, well maintained, will do you better than a pro saw that sits neglected and unused.

What are you going to be cutting? How often?

If I were starting out and didn’t have any specific needs that demanded a big or expensive saw, an Echo CS400 would be at the top of my list. It seems like a versatile little machine and once you open it up so it can breathe better, they seem to cut well. If it were my saw, I would drop a bar size or two (13-14”) in the interest of the sort of balance and handling I prefer.

From there, I might add a CS620 with a 16” bar for most tasks and a 24” one for the occasional task that requires more bar.

You can get away with using a bigger saw than necessary for small saw tasks much easier if you’ve hung a small bar off it. Something to consider. I was out cutting invasives a couple weeks back, mostly buckthorn and honeysuckle in the 2-4” range, and I was running an Echo brush cutter with 8”/22t blade. It was enough for what was being cut. Another guy was cutting the same stuff with me using an Echo 590/20”, and that saw was kicking his butt for doing that kind of work, largely because of the long bar being used in tight, brushy quarters. I think a light 16” bar would have made his life easier, assuming he was intent on running that powerhead for this work.

There is not much that the Echo 400/620 combo, with a sharp chain and some sitting skill/experience under your belt, could not do. Felling, limbing, trimming, and firewood cutting. There might be machines that would do the job faster, but for most of us, so what?

Having run it some, I would disagree that the Stihl 261 is some magical log saber. It is a nice 50cc saw, nothing more. I would not stretch my budget for that machine; you’d be better off with a used Husqvarna 346xp in any case, and as a bonus you’d be able to get that saw and stay within your budget.

A used 026 and/or 036 would be a very solid place to start. No objections there. Those saws are proven, bulletproof platforms.

Back