Which saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoyoteConquest

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been ask a million times but here it goes.
I live on a 160 acre farm with a lot of tree lines with some dead ash and a few trees around the house that need to go. Some are as big as 20". For the most part after I get rid of around 8 or 9 trees I'll be using a saw a couple times a year to clean blow downs and maybe clean up some fence rows. I may eventually get a wood stove but not within the next couple of years.
I had a small Stihl that quit working a few years ago and somebody thought they needed it worse than me so it disappeared.
A few days ago I went and bought a MS 211. I haven't even put fuel in it but I'm thinking I may need a bigger saw. I know most recommend a pro saw but good luck finding one around here with out them have to order it just to see one.
I was thinking maybe a MS 251 or 271. They sell Husqvarna at lowes or Tractor Supply so maybe a Husqvarna around the same size or I can drive around an hour and get a Echo CS 400 or CS 4910. I don't know much about echo and I've read they do have some plastic parts that break but are cheaper than the others I mentioned.
I was debating on having a Husqvarna 545 ordered but may be more than I need.
Thanks for any input and this sight has been a wealth of knowledge.

Just adding that I went to another Stihl dealer a bit ago and he doesn't carry pro saws and said some are hard to order right now. He did have a MS 250, MS 271 and a MS 291. The 250 felt great weight wise compared to the other 2. That couple pounds makes a big difference.

A few things to consider...
  1. Pro-grade saws will perform much better and last longer than consumer-grade saws
  2. The big "box stores" like H.D. or L typically only carry consumer-grade saws
  3. Go to a real dealer to buy a good pro-grade saw
  4. Most people recommend that you go with the pro brand with the best dealer support
    1. If you have good Husqvarna dealers around you, then consider Husky
    2. If you have good Stihl dealers near you...then Stihl
  5. I don't know anyone who said: "Damn, the saw I bought was too big"
    1. I do know plenty of folks who wish they had started off with a bigger saw
  6. You can cut smaller stuff with a bigger saw -- It's difficult to cut bigger stuff with a smaller saw
  7. Don't let bar size fool you -- you can put a long bar on a small saw...but that doesn't mean that the small saw will work well with a too-big-bar
  8. A great all-around size pro-grade saw is a 60cc to 70cc
    1. Husky 562XP
    2. Stihl MS362
    3. Husky 572XP
    4. Husky 372XP
    5. Stihl MS462
    6. I would say Stihl 500i but it's just too damn expensive at $1,800
Each saw has its good points and not-so-good points. Weight is important...but so is balance, parts, dealer support, reliability, etc. Stihl parts can be a bit harder to find, on-line. Typically you need to go to a Stihl dealer. Husqvarna parts are much easier to find on-line, so that may be a consideration for you. Echo makes a good saw. For the money, it's hard to argue with the Echo CS620 or the CS590 "Timber Wolf". The 590 is more of a high end consumer-grade saw, but the CS620 has a good following. You will see many folks that are brand-blind loyal. To each, his own. Go out and get the best saw you can afford, be it Husqvarna, Stihl, Echo or Makita/Dolmar. Use good quality 2-stroke oil. Buy a good saw and don't go cheap on the oil. Lots of people like the Amsoil. I like the Klotz. Many swear by the Tru Fuel type. I would recommend that you do NOT use ethanol fuels. Try to stay with 91 octane pure gas + good oil.

JQ

I have a neighbor with a 271. He likes it, I found it okay. I talked him into putting a 3/8 B&C on it (18") and he likes it a lot more then the .325 it came with. The 271 will drop the 20" trees, and if you only have a handful of them the 271 will work fine for the rest of your uses.

I have only used one Echo, and I don't care for it. Loud, feels cheap, and not up to Stihl quality. But if you are on a budget it is the answer for many buyers.

Echo Cs 590 is my suggestion, $400-420 for a saw that’ll cover all your larger wood needs. It has a magnesium case and is 90% the same as it’s professional brother the Cs 620 (another good choice). It’s got great torque throughout the powerband, and it’s simple to work on. If you have an echo dealer nearby I’d check it out or you can order them online. There’s endless pages on here about tuning and maintenance for the 59. Imo 50cc is not powerful enough to have as your biggest saw.

Counterpoint, if all you have nearby is a Stihl dealer and you don’t plan on or don’t want to troubleshoot your own saws then stick with a Stihl. I’d suggest the same if it was a Husky or Echo dealer instead.
If you are comfortable with your Stihl dealer, I would give them your business. They will be the one to help you out with parts and service down the road. With your largest logs being 20”, I bet you could get by with a MS261. They are a lot of bang for your buck and are a pro saw. If you are certain that a pro saw is out of the question, the next best would be a farm ranch saw like a MS291. The advice above about not having a saw too big is good. If you do end up with a wood stove, a little bigger saw that gets run more might be a good choice. Go with a MS362 or MS400. More money, but a lot more saw.

I went and returned the MS 211. They were trying to sell me a MS251 or a 271. I told them I would just wait. Walking back to the register we noticed a pallet with boxes in the isle. About 10 of the boxes were for a MS 261c. I was excited. The kid that was helping didn't know anything about them and had to go in the back to ask.
He came back and said I could buy one that they just came in yesterday and I could save $30 paying cash. I went to the bank next door and came back. They had put a 20" bar on it. I ask if I could get an 18" and he said yes and it would save $10.
It was a lot of money and probably more than I need but I'm happy. I want to thank everyone here.

I went and returned the MS 211. They were trying to sell me a MS251 or a 271. I told them I would just wait. Walking back to the register we noticed a pallet with boxes in the isle. About 10 of the boxes were for a MS 261c. I was excited. The kid that was helping didn't know anything about them and had to go in the back to ask.
He came back and said I could buy one that they just came in yesterday and I could save $30 paying cash. I went to the bank next door and came back. They had put a 20" bar on it. I ask if I could get an 18" and he said yes and it would save $10.
It was a lot of money and probably more than I need but I'm happy. I want to thank everyone here.

It is a bit more pricey, but the 261 is a hell of a saw. Far far better then the 271. Congrates!!!

Good choice. The 261 will cut 90% of what you said you have. My go to saw most of the time. Good fuel and a sharp chain and you'll be fine. 462 is a good companion saw for the 261. :innocent:

I think you made a good choice. I have never met anyone who regretted owning a pro saw. Enjoy that little bugger! Congrats!

A pro saw would be cool. Cut a decent amount of firewood with a homeowner Husqvarna 350. Back-benched it for another homeowner saw, a Stihl 291. I’m 51 yr old, The 350 could have served me to my dirt nap with some work.

I have homeowner saws, which have never left me needing more, and have a pretty sizable stock of long term food storage. Given the choice of a $600 homeowner saw that will do everything I need AND $600 worth of rice and beans, or bragging rights of having a pro saw, give me the homeowner saw and a big stack of food.

My point is the upgrade to a pro saw costs money. Do I need that upgrade? If not then why spend it? To impress you guys? No offense but that’s not even close to a priority for me.

What if you already have a bunch of food, and want a pro saw even though you don’t need a pro saw? Then buy MORE food and get the saw you need instead of the saw you want.

Nobody comes here regretting their pro saw purchase. When the bank is taking everything they own coming here to lament unnecessary extravagances won’t be a priority. Harley. Hot tub. In ground pool. Hawaii vacations. Diesel super duty as a commuter vehicle. Bass boats. Do you need it or do you not?

Pro saws are night and day from homeowner as far as work efficiency, we aren't talking 1 second difference in a cut or some of these silly comparisons that mean jack in the real world, but just the amount of stuff you can get done. Do you need it? No. Can the homeowner do the same job? Yes.. But the first time you clean up some massive storm damage and are done in 30 minutes with a 261C versus 4 hours with a farm boss....you realize the true potential of pro vs. homeowner. It's not extravagant, it really is getting more for your money now and in the resale.

A pro saw would be cool. Cut a decent amount of firewood with a homeowner Husqvarna 350. Back-benched it for another homeowner saw, a Stihl 291. I’m 51 yr old, The 350 could have served me to my dirt nap with some work.

I have homeowner saws, which have never left me needing more, and have a pretty sizable stock of long term food storage. Given the choice of a $600 homeowner saw that will do everything I need AND $600 worth of rice and beans, or bragging rights of having a pro saw, give me the homeowner saw and a big stack of food.

What kind or Rice and Beans are you talking about? I got food too, but $600 or Rice and Beans, yeah sounds yummie, but... What is your point?

My point is the upgrade to a pro saw costs money. Do I need that upgrade? If not then why spend it? To impress you guys? No offense but that’s not even close to a priority for me.

What if you already have a bunch of food, and want a pro saw even though you don’t need a pro saw? Then buy MORE food and get the saw you need instead of the saw you want.

Nobody comes here regretting their pro saw purchase. When the bank is taking everything they own coming here to lament unnecessary extravagances won’t be a priority. Harley. Hot tub. In ground pool. Hawaii vacations. Diesel super duty as a commuter vehicle. Bass boats. Do you need it or do you not?

What about me?

Consumer vs. Pro...
After Hurricane Ike hit Houston in 2008, I spent a lot of time around my area helping folks out with tree removal. All "pro bono" stuff. Good neighbor work. Power was out for 14 days at my place. Back then I had a 385XP and my little 353. My neighbor behind my house had 2 tall pines fall during the storm. Fortunately, the trees didn't hit anything but grass. I was inside my house when I heard a chainsaw fire up and start cutting. I could tell from the sound that it was a smaller saw...maybe 40cc. Based on the sound, I could tell that my neighbor wasn't making much progress, so I went out back to see if I could help. He had some consumer-type saw running a dull safety chain. The tree was probably 28" DBH, so it was a too big for his "Barbie tools". I offered to help, but he said, "no thanks, I got it". After another 5 minutes of hearing the Barbie saw at full throttle, I fetched my 385XP and went back to offer my services again. This time, he accepted my offer as he had not made much progress. That saw usually ran a 28" or 32" bar...can't remember what I had on it, but likely the 28". New or newly sharpened chain. I fired up the Husky and started cutting. The plan was to buck the tree into 18" sections for removal. The first cut took about 10 seconds. I shut the saw down and looked at my neighbor. He just shook his head and said: "I can't believe it. I've been cutting for 15 minutes and haven't finished one full cut. You come out here and do in 10 seconds what I couldn't get done." I just smiled and said two words: "Pro Saw".

In the first 2-3 weeks following Hurricane Ike, I ran through 10+ gallons of fuel and many gallons of bar oil helping people out. The 385XP impressed the hell out of me.

JQ

When I got home I made quick work of a large walnut that somebody killed by strangling it with clothes line wire. Part of it blew down last week so i cut the rest down and sawed it all up. I really like this saw. It's a lot better than the one I use to have and it's light. I see people talking about the echos for cheaper but i think about the weight difference and the higher price of the 261 is worth it.

Back