Which saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about me?
Well, yeah. I am trying to impress you. Guilty.

Not sure I’m buying that a pro 20” Stihl instead of a 291 or 311 will quadruple my productivity. Homeowner saws are often operated by homeowners so productivity is smatter of the tool AND the man. I’ll bet you guys with pro saws keep them sharp, well tuned, and know how to go about your work. Do you really think putting a pro saw in hands of a homeowner will make a homeowner match your pace? Well, unless homeowner has a Wild Thing, then all bets are off.

I make good money. I live like I don’t. I don’t buy junk, and don’t consider a Husqvarna 350 and Stihl 291 to be incapable of handling what a homeowner will need. In the hierarchy of needs a pro saw for homeowner duty makes zero sense. Times are about to get hard. If you don’t recognize that then keep piling up antique novelty saws and four layer deep pro saws for bragging rights. Hope your pantry and garden plot is as impressive as your saw collection. I’ll trade an overgrown zucchini for pro saws and gallon of fuel in five years. Print this add and I’ll honor this offer.

Im more of a gun guy than a saw guy. I carry Glocks, not $1200 boutique 1911 (I love 1911 but have an issue that makes them not work for me as a defensive pistol). I have five ways to heat my home. A year of food stored up. None of my vehicles were built this century. I allow some extravagances but don’t pretend they’re necessities (old Jeep, Ramcharger).

I have saws that will last beyond the availability of fuel, should things get ******. And I fear they will. So make careful decisions about where your resources go. I sure hope I’m an alarmist crackpot and my kids can enjoy a life like I’ve had. I’m not hopeful that this will be the case. So a GOOD homeowner saw that gets the job done AND a pile of food is worth more to me than a pro saw for this HOMEOWNER

Since you currently own a 211 and looking for just one more saw, then buy a MS362.

Keep a 20" on it and you can always put a 25-28 bar if needed.

Chainsaws get lonely so i adopted 14 - the are very happy in my home.

I went and returned the MS 211. They were trying to sell me a MS251 or a 271. I told them I would just wait. Walking back to the register we noticed a pallet with boxes in the isle. About 10 of the boxes were for a MS 261c. I was excited. The kid that was helping didn't know anything about them and had to go in the back to ask.
He came back and said I could buy one that they just came in yesterday and I could save $30 paying cash. I went to the bank next door and came back. They had put a 20" bar on it. I ask if I could get an 18" and he said yes and it would save $10.
It was a lot of money and probably more than I need but I'm happy. I want to thank everyone here.
Congrats on the new saw :clap:.

Well, yeah. I am trying to impress you. Guilty.

Not sure I’m buying that a pro 20” Stihl instead of a 291 or 311 will quadruple my productivity. Homeowner saws are often operated by homeowners so productivity is smatter of the tool AND the man. I’ll bet you guys with pro saws keep them sharp, well tuned, and know how to go about your work. Do you really think putting a pro saw in hands of a homeowner will make a homeowner match your pace? Well, unless homeowner has a Wild Thing, then all bets are off.

I make good money. I live like I don’t. I don’t buy junk, and don’t consider a Husqvarna 350 and Stihl 291 to be incapable of handling what a homeowner will need. In the hierarchy of needs a pro saw for homeowner duty makes zero sense. Times are about to get hard. If you don’t recognize that then keep piling up antique novelty saws and four layer deep pro saws for bragging rights. Hope your pantry and garden plot is as impressive as your saw collection. I’ll trade an overgrown zucchini for pro saws and gallon of fuel in five years. Print this add and I’ll honor this offer.

Im more of a gun guy than a saw guy. I carry Glocks, not $1200 boutique 1911 (I love 1911 but have an issue that makes them not work for me as a defensive pistol). I have five ways to heat my home. A year of food stored up. None of my vehicles were built this century. I allow some extravagances but don’t pretend they’re necessities (old Jeep, Ramcharger).

I have saws that will last beyond the availability of fuel, should things get ******. And I fear they will. So make careful decisions about where your resources go. I sure hope I’m an alarmist crackpot and my kids can enjoy a life like I’ve had. I’m not hopeful that this will be the case. So a GOOD homeowner saw that gets the job done AND a pile of food is worth more to me than a pro saw for this HOMEOWNER
I agree with much of your sentiment about the saw and the future(unfortunately).
A sharp chain on a farm ranch saw will get a lot done in just a little less time than a pro saw, that is if we are talking about 20" and smaller trees; where that changes is when you are cutting larger wood as there aren't many great options in the larger farm ranch saws, but I could do a lot with an MS391 if need be and time wasn't crucial. In reality the time in the cut doesn't matter much for most guys cutting a few trees, more time is spent/wasted cleaning up debris and processing the wood. That being said people should really think of saving the extra cash from being a pro 50cc saw vs a 55cc farm ranch saw, and buy a mini-skid :p.
Glocks, shoot, I bought Springfields, and spent the change on rice and beans, joking, I spent the extra on AR builds, we already have hundreds of pounds of rice and beans, wheat berries, flour, sugar, salt, 6-7yrs of wood(if we keep the house at 72f), and much more. The way they are creating hyper-inflation by printing money will surely bring the collapse of the dollar, if not wholly, for sure as the world currency(almost as if that's their plan ;)).
Have a blessed day.

I'm more of a gun guy also, my carry is a Sig P365 and have several hand guns including a couple 1911s. I have several bolt actions and quite a few ARs. I have 3 5.56s, 2 6.5 Grendels, a 6.8 SPC a 6x6.8spc, 6ARC and probably 1 or 2 I'm not thinking of. Hand loading is addicting.
When it came to a chainsaw I figured if I could spend a couple hundred more dollars and have a saw that will last the rest of my life then that's what I'll do. Maybe a 291 or a 250 would last several years but the older I get the heavier stuff feels. The MS 261c is a heck of a lot lighter than the other saws with the same amount of power so it's a no brainier for me.

I'm more of a gun guy also, my carry is a Sig P365 and have several hand guns including a couple 1911s. I have several bolt actions and quite a few ARs. I have 3 5.56s, 2 6.5 Grendels, a 6.8 SPC a 6x6.8spc, 6ARC and probably 1 or 2 I'm not thinking of. Hand loading is addicting.
When it came to a chainsaw I figured if I could spend a couple hundred more dollars and have a saw that will last the rest of my life then that's what I'll do. Maybe a 291 or a 250 would last several years but the older I get the heavier stuff feels. The MS 261c is a heck of a lot lighter than the other saws with the same amount of power so it's a no brainier for me.
Awesome, you'll fit right in here :).
I didn't realize you are a new member, welcome to AS :).

Awesome, you'll fit right in here :).
I didn't realize you are a new member, welcome to AS :).
I saw he was a new member here. That's why I mentioned the 462 as a great companion saw for his 261. :surprised3: He said he has 160 acres. You know more saws is betterer.

I saw he was a new member here. That's why I mentioned the 462 as a great companion saw for his 261. :surprised3: He said he has 160 acres. You know more saws is betterer.

My saws all get along and like each other very well.
They accept each other for who they are and know their place in life.
Stihl = CEO
Dolmar/Makita = the Twins
Echo = Stihl wanna be's who are doing a great job
Husqvarna = rejected for 'falling apart' and knocking at the door wanting to come back in

Heck, I'm not even a stihl fan, I only have 2.6 acres, and I have a ported 261 and a modded 462 🤣 .
Seeing his arsenal list, he will get there rather soon lol.

New guy: "my peach tree seems to be dying on one side."

Arboristsite:
giphy.gif

I'm not always pragmatic. One can take pleasure in having nice tools. Sometimes tools nicer than are required. And that's fine, I do it too sometimes. If having a sweet saw bring satisfaction then there are far worse ways to spend a little discretionary income.

I had a MS290 for a number of years but saw (no pun) the new MS400 on the shelf at work (I work part time at a John Deere dealership) and thought what the heck. I'll say this, my face gets tired of smiling when I'm cutting with it. I could have got along fine with the 290, but they say people that smile alot live longer, sooooooooo get a pro saw if you want to live longer.😁

Counterpoint, if all you have nearby is a Stihl dealer and you don’t plan on or don’t want to troubleshoot your own saws then stick with a Stihl. I’d suggest the same if it was a Husky or Echo dealer instead.
Probably not the correct place to ask this question, but could not firure how to post someplace else. Question: Will a 16" ematic sys bar . work on my Ms250?

Probably not the correct place to ask this question, but could not firure how to post someplace else. Question: Will a 16" ematic sys bar . work on my Ms250?
If it’s a 3005 mount bar in the correct pitch it will work, a Stihl dealer will be able to set you up. The 260/261 takes 3003 which is the larger, not largest, size.

The ms261 is a fine saw. If my ms250 ever dies I might get one. It will cut 20" wood but my ms362 likes it better. Yes I didn't have to buy a ms362 I could have gotten away with either a ms311 or ms391 they in my opinion compete directly with the 362. And yes I could have bought a lot of beans and rice and beer with what I would of saved buying a ms311 but the ms362 paid for its self bought me some beer and a log splitter so.

I went and returned the MS 211. They were trying to sell me a MS251 or a 271. I told them I would just wait. Walking back to the register we noticed a pallet with boxes in the isle. About 10 of the boxes were for a MS 261c. I was excited. The kid that was helping didn't know anything about them and had to go in the back to ask.
He came back and said I could buy one that they just came in yesterday and I could save $30 paying cash. I went to the bank next door and came back. They had put a 20" bar on it. I ask if I could get an 18" and he said yes and it would save $10.
It was a lot of money and probably more than I need but I'm happy. I want to thank everyone here.
Over time you'll forget the price you paid but still enjoy the quality and performance... of course regular maintenance helps a lot!

You made a good choice with a 261! I have a 261 Mtronic with a 16" b&c. I would go as far as an 18"b&c, but I have larger displacement saws for bigger tasks, and smaller saws for light chores.

Back