Which skip tooth chain part # for a 500i 25" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I was hoping for a Stihl part number as to me it's less complicated. I know there are experts on this site who have better understanding for ID #'s.

Regarding the local shop : Until you experience this store first hand, it's hard to understand what I'm saying.

Thanks
I went after a particular setup for a saw I set up for my best friend. Had the bar and chain part number I wanted and the kid behind the counter wouldn’t punch it in. He was adamant he needed the saw model to look it up. Smh

33RS -84
3623 - OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super (RS) chain FOR 3/8"
005 - Gauge of the chain to match bar you have a 0.050" bar
0084 - Number of drive links

3673 - OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super L Full Skip (RSLF) FOR 3/8" *NOT THE CHAIN YOU WANT

You want a 33RSF-84
3676 - OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super Full Skip (RSF) FOR 3/8"

The 33RMF-84 you are not going to find in the premade loops for you bar. I bought a 100' spool and made lengths I needed.
3654 OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Micro™ Full Skip (RMF)
Thanks PV for taking the time to pass along the p/n's and catalog

I went after a particular setup for a saw I see up for my best friend. Had the bar and chain part number I wanted and the kid behind the counter wouldn’t punch it in. He was admit he needed the saw model to look it up. Smh

There is one of those stores here, Even though I have the part number he must go into the system first by model number.

With respect…then, you shouldn’t start out with a 500i.

I'm certainly no pro, just a layman seeking some advice here. I started out way too many years ago, with this 500i as being my 6th Stihl. Still maintain and have many of them. We had at one time several excellent dealers in my immediate area, all offering great service. I would explain my needs, they'd set me up. Never had the desire or want to learn how to read their packaging or saw chain identification as long as it was "yellow box", it worked. Most of these dealers retired or sold out. Figured why not buy something new (technology) at this time. Saw's working well after it's break in, now felling acres of dying ash. Sad to see them die as well as other hardwoods have in my area.

Thanks for your advice all the same.

On the side of all my bars are stamped the info needed to get a chain. I just got one yesterday for a Stihl, at a Husqvarna dealer who wanted to sell me a loop with one extra link because that's what they usually sell (young fellas behind the counter) for that length bar(and that's the spec for a husky with a 36"). So it's good to learn what the bar is telling you. They didn't have the exact one, so they just made one up.
I'm a layman just like you, just recently learned this.

I run a 28" and full comp on my 500i, wouldn't consider a skip chain for that bar length.

I am halfway looking for a 36" bar for it, that one I'll get a loop or two of skip for.

I'm really late to this party, but the 500i pulls a full comp 32" bar in ash without struggling. Damn ash borers!

Attachments

• Ash_01.jpg
    Ash_01.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Ash_02.jpg
    Ash_02.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Ash_03.jpg
    Ash_03.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Ash_04.jpg
    Ash_04.jpg