Which skip tooth chain part # for a 500i 25" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlsawuserMS361

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently running a 3003 000 2231 light 25-inch bar with 3623 005 0084 chain on my 500i. Would like to try a skip tooth chain. I've looked at Stihl web sites, owner's manual, online sites for chain part number, but I'm a bit confused and unsure.

I went to my local (not the purchase point) dealer for help, and they are lost as most employees are "new help". Best I can determine is I should run a 3673 005 0084 chain, which is a Rapid Super Full Skip.

Does the RSF apply to my saw, or do I need a RMF chain / or what is the difference between RSF and RMF?

Is a skip chain worth it? Will it increase cutting speed ?

Thanks to all

If you want to try to try a skip tooth chain on your 500i, the RSF Rapid Super Full Skip would be my choice. Personally I don't think there is an advantage in doing so when using a 25" bar on your 500i as you have enough grunt in your saw to pull a standard RS chain through both hard and soft wood.

If the dealership has the paper color catalog look in that. I have one from 2008 and code 3673 is likely a slightly modified version of something in this catalog. Code 3953 is the chisel (S) version in that catalog. If you want a klassic cutter then use code 3642 at least in 2008. (M) is a semi chisel cutter. Your code 3623 is a reduced-vibration RSC in 0.050 gauge. There is also half skip.

If the dealership has the paper color catalog look in that. I have one from 2008 and code 3673 is likely a slightly modified version of something in this catalog. Code 3953 is the chisel (S) version in that catalog. If you want a klassic cutter then use code 3642 at least in 2008. (M) is a semi chisel cutter. Your code 3623 is a reduced-vibration RSC in 0.050 gauge. There is also half skip.
Local dealer isn't very sharp. They have changed owners, dusty packaging items for sale have 3 price tags (increases) on them. I often get "probably or should work"
Selling dealer is 45 minutes away, next time I'm out that way I'll stop in.

Thanks, tried that site, doesn't

list 500i
Geeze…
you have a standard 84drive link chain for that standard length bar.
all you need to do is order a chain, sheesh. There is no special part# for this Just because it is for a particular saw.
🙄
84DL, .050 gauge, full skip.

Some of us aren't as well versed on chains and bars as others on this site

Thanks for the help

It sounds like you want an exact part number, and the answer to your questions with a fully descriptive chart is to complex for you to understand? Tis no surprise that you are having difficulty at your saw shop getting useful help. :confused:

Try the chain selector on Baileys' web site. They sell Stihl, Oregon and their house brand chain, which is mostly what I use.

Stihl chain is probably the best, but the Bailey's stuff costs half as much and stays sharp 85% as long.

I'd use full complement chain for a 24" bar on a 500i. Skip chain won't cut faster.

If you're unhappy with how well the chain cuts it's probably not sharp enough.

Regarding the local shop : Until you experience this store first hand, it's hard to understand what I'm saying.

If they're that lame why give them more money? You don't need Stihl chain and you don't need to buy it from a dealer. The bar has all the info you need to buy the right chain stamped right on it. All you need is that info and then to select from full chisel vs semi chisel, and anti kickback "safety" chain vs chain without anti kickback features.

There's nothing wrong with having some of each of those.

Thanks Bjorn,Eric and all for the education. I just thought a skip tooth would cut quicker.

Thank you too Montanna. (You had previously helped me on this site with my 361 oil pump problem and decision to buy that 500i, much appreciated!)

FWIW: My selling dealer (Platinum) is about 40 miles away. I was trying to avoid that ride. My local dealer was great at one time. Help / ownership changed etc. I inquired there about a 500i last fall, was told "not available / can't get them". Went to the guy 40 miles away, bought from him. (I had also purchased several other Stihl's from him) I know he's up to date on diagnostics and has a great staff and parts inventory.

Currently running a 3003 000 2231 light 25-inch bar with 3623 005 0084 chain on my 500i. Would like to try a skip tooth chain. I've looked at Stihl web sites, owner's manual, online sites for chain part number, but I'm a bit confused and unsure.

I went to my local (not the purchase point) dealer for help, and they are lost as most employees are "new help". Best I can determine is I should run a 3673 005 0084 chain, which is a Rapid Super Full Skip.

Does the RSF apply to my saw, or do I need a RMF chain / or what is the difference between RSF and RMF?

Is a skip chain worth it? Will it increase cutting speed ?

Thanks to all

33RS -84
3623 - OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super (RS) chain FOR 3/8"
005 - Gauge of the chain to match bar you have a 0.050" bar
0084 - Number of drive links

3673 - OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super L Full Skip (RSLF) FOR 3/8" *NOT THE CHAIN YOU WANT

You want a 33RSF-84
3676 - OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super Full Skip (RSF) FOR 3/8"

The 33RMF-84 you are not going to find in the premade loops for you bar. I bought a 100' spool and made lengths I needed.
3654 OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Micro™ Full Skip (RMF)

Attachments

• 2018-bar-chain-catalog.pdf
    7.1 MB · Views: 1
Back