Which sprocket and why

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky77

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
with a 3/8th chain and 7 tooth sprocket I would say thats more or less standard, does anyone use an 8 tooth sprocket? I guess it's down to bar and engine size but interesting to hear your comments .

I run a 8 tooth with a 18 inch bar, 3/8, on my 462 purely for ripping rounds, and a 8 tooth, 20 inch bar, 404 on my 660 for bore cutting up to 30 inch trees. It's all an equation of engine size, bar length, chain pitch, type of timber and probably sharpening ability. Talking Oz conditions though

I stick with stock tooth count sprockets, but always switch to to a rim sprocket/drum. Less wear on the bar and chain, at least it as it seems to me.

with a 3/8th chain and 7 tooth sprocket I would say thats more or less standard, does anyone use an 8 tooth sprocket? I guess it's down to bar and engine size but interesting to hear your comments .
sometimes I'll run an 8 tooth on a short bar, just for funsies, say a 90cc saw with a 8 tooth 3/8 chain, on a 20" bar, like a really heavy light saber. I did buck 4 cords of firewood once on a little more then one tank of fuel, took longer to get the rounds out of the way then to buck everything lol.

Or if I get around to it, a hopped up 661 with a 32" and an 8 pin sprocket could be fun... for now its stock though.

some day when I have more money then sense (which isn't much) I'll get me a 20" big block bar, 8 pin sprocket and a full comp .404 chain for the 084 and see how much trouble I can get in

Back