Who’s right with this eBay Return Request

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarleyEquipment

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Sold a Stihl 661c on the bay last week, buyer messages me yesterday saying we have a problem.
Buyer says he took it in to get it serviced and they told him that the “case for the bar threads are cracked and the bar bolt is cracked” I didn’t even clean this saw before selling it, so I’ll just assume he’s telling the truth about that, no reason for him to lie I don’t figure. I ask him what he wants to do to resolve it.
Sends a second message saying that someone tried to repair the cracks with jb weld, repair shop said they’d have to replace the case and if it was an easy fix he’d have it done, it’s unusable and he wants to send it back.
Additional details that I feel are relevant: saw runs, and cuts, they did both at the estate sale I got it at. Saw was a daily user for a logger until a few months ago when he found out how sick he was with cancer. I put in the listing that the saw was in good shape overall and that I do not accept returns.
Sorry for the long post, but what’s your guys opinion on the matter? Thanks

Attachments

• 221722D9-6FDB-4388-B580-C685BF961A6D.jpeg
    221722D9-6FDB-4388-B580-C685BF961A6D.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 122
  • A68E14FF-F216-4E56-BDDD-A94BE081521F.jpeg
    A68E14FF-F216-4E56-BDDD-A94BE081521F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 101
  • 87215BD7-6C5D-49CD-B81D-AEC03349F2CA.jpeg
    87215BD7-6C5D-49CD-B81D-AEC03349F2CA.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 134
  • E0D2A691-C811-478A-923A-665BCBBFCE90.png
    E0D2A691-C811-478A-923A-665BCBBFCE90.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 142
  • D9264547-9CCE-42E2-9957-B6487D0EA965.png
    D9264547-9CCE-42E2-9957-B6487D0EA965.png
    2 MB · Views: 146
  • 19208B3C-A50D-4CA1-8D67-5C5EB8602790.png
    19208B3C-A50D-4CA1-8D67-5C5EB8602790.png
    2 MB · Views: 125
  • 5803C82C-9C27-4D53-933D-FB4398FDF57C.jpeg
    5803C82C-9C27-4D53-933D-FB4398FDF57C.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 129
On one hand, you stated you do not accept returns. On the other hand, (no offense meant) you should have went over the saw good, before listing it for sale. I'd say take it back, since you didn't note the damage in the listing. But that's easy for me to say with no money in this fight.

If you sold the saw "as is" used, I'd say it's something you as a buyer have to expect to find.
If you want a flawless item, buy it new.

Also, if he messed around with it and tried to fix it - and made it worse in the process - it's all on the buyer.

I would kindly but firmly explain above points to the buyer.

Welp, I see Ebay is still on track.
Due diligence is really part of the buyers half in my opinion, when a deal looks too good to be true it usually is. I walk away from lots of internet and personal sales that don't have some kind of inspection, famous lines would include but not limited to, "barn find, estate sale, family heirloom" , or the " got it in trade deal and don't know anything about it ". Burns highly likely.
Frankly I would never sell anything without a quick once over though. Your just asking for trouble and if your time is too precious for that the internet is not for you.

One of my customers bought a K181S engine off ebay, ad said clean, restored good running engine needs nothing...no problems.

He paid 500 shipped, he brings it to me to put on his tiller, it was painted black, he asked me to strip it and paint it GM Bright Red...whatever. I coated it with aircraft stripper and power washed it off, this revealed cracks in the block, in a couple places, they had been filled with sealer and painted over. Told the customer, sent pics...seller denied any knowledge of it, said we must have swapped blocks to scam him. I pulled the sump off and found JB weld inside, it had tossed a rod at some point and beat up the block...ebay sided with the buyer, we sent it back and he got refunded.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Sold a Stihl 661c on the bay last week, buyer messages me yesterday saying we have a problem.
Buyer says he took it in to get it serviced and they told him that the “case for the bar threads are cracked and the bar bolt is cracked” I didn’t even clean this saw before selling it, so I’ll just assume he’s telling the truth about that, no reason for him to lie I don’t figure. I ask him what he wants to do to resolve it.
Sends a second message saying that someone tried to repair the cracks with jb weld, repair shop said they’d have to replace the case and if it was an easy fix he’d have it done, it’s unusable and he wants to send it back.
Additional details that I feel are relevant: saw runs, and cuts, they did both at the estate sale I got it at. Saw was a daily user for a logger until a few months ago when he found out how sick he was with cancer. I put in the listing that the saw was in good shape overall and that I do not accept returns.
Well if you want to keep your good reputation do what you got to do make it right! If you knew for a fact he broke it then fight him,but you dont so..

Yup eBay will almost always side with buyer, only once they sided with me, but that was a few years ago. Nowadays they side less with seller, even if your over a 1000 positive feedback with 100% and zero buyer issues and rather side with a buyer with less than 20 feedback score instead. The old saying “ don’t sell anything on eBay unless you can afford to give it away free” is more true now than before when I first heard it.
btw- I always double check all my stuff to make sure it is not like that,(cracked damaged etc) and use the max amount of pics for higher priced items like saws. However to list a saw like that without checking it is just asking for return/ chargeback issues.
thats what Kijiji is for, meeting a guy at donut store and driving away- little recourse

Not the first time I have heard the saw cracking behind the bar plate must be a common issue with the 661 and long bars

.I hope you can fix it.

If you sold the saw "as is" used, I'd say it's something you as a buyer have to expect to find.
If you want a flawless item, buy it new.

Also, if he messed around with it and tried to fix it - and made it worse in the process - it's all on the buyer.

I would kindly but firmly explain above points to the buyer.
Agreed. I had an issue once similar but can't remember what the item was, the buyer was getting worked up and wanted to return it, opened a case. I got ebay on the phone and when I told them the situation, that a repair had been attempted (or the item had been taken apart to repair, can't remember which) they said the buyer was not in a position to return the item as it had been interfered with and the case was closed in my favour.

Apologies if this makes anyone angry
1. You should have never purchased a saw to just flip it without going through the saw first giving it a good cleaning and proper inspection. I mean look at the saw it is nasty and someone like me would have never given that saw a second look because the red flag is flying high how can someone say "the saw was in good shape overall"
2. You cannot prove if the buyer or anyone else on the buyer's side tried the jb weld fix, because you did not inspect it and again to inspect it properly it had to be cleaned.
3. Take the saw back, even if you listed in your add you do not accept returns, unless you listed the case as cracked or there is a problem with the saw thus it is a parts saw, you did not sell a useable saw.

Back