Who makes the band saw that bolts to a Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe you are talking about a Ripsaw bandsaw mill. I have one I have never used. I am not sure they are made anymore as they were very expensive compared to a traditional chain saw mill

Saw the device on the tv show Port Protection. A band saw attached to a big stihl. Who makes them, and whats the skinny on how well they work?

TIA.

GV

Jonsered also made a bandmill powered by a chainsaw engine .
The Ripsaw mill is not manufactured now . It used small 10" diameter band wheels and a 3 tooth per inch blade .

Can i ask why you never used it? And, if you want to get off of yours?
I have a huge amount of tools and equipment that I have never used nor will ever use. Some of which is more about the story of getting it or the story of the former owner. The ripsaw has both and I will get into it later if you are interested. Right now I need to go inspect some welds

My cousins in Italy use few of these types of saws. They have an automated Hundeger Mill, timber billets in one side and house roofs and frames out the other side. When there's "problems" some are corrected with these saws. 99% of problems are the fault of the programmer not the mill.

I had and used Ripsaw driven by an 039. Plenty of power. They are a quality piece and work well if tuned and set up properly, but not so hot for turning logs into cants. I eventually sold mine and built my own bandsaw mill. I did use a granberg mill on an 066 prior to that. I ripped the header for my porch using the ripsaw they are very fast at slicing cants with almost no waste. I milled the 8x8” posts with my Granberg mill. The rafters are Douglas fir and remain straight to this day.

Attachments

• FD9DA325-F380-45BD-AC36-7FAC73758211.jpeg
    FD9DA325-F380-45BD-AC36-7FAC73758211.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 74A5F322-4D9A-41B9-A451-6EE18C2BB400.jpeg
    74A5F322-4D9A-41B9-A451-6EE18C2BB400.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 86B0DD36-7F86-4045-89EA-A4314AF25AB0.jpeg
    86B0DD36-7F86-4045-89EA-A4314AF25AB0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
I would think this would be a more efficient use of power over a chain that was never designed to rip.

Redpowerd , my ripsaw with a 044 engine was advertised to cut 9' per minute in hardwood and 12' per minute in softwood . The maximum width of cut is 14" and maximum depth of cut is 9" .

How well does it perform as compared to what was advertised. I still have not tried mine and am wondering. That speed sounds good to me

I have not clocked it but would say that advertised speed was conservative . My ripsaw was built in woburn mass back in 1996 .
Well I would say if it is rolling at that speed you are doing quite well. If I ever get mine going I hope it cuts that good

Well I would say if it is rolling at that speed you are doing quite well. If I ever get mine going I hope it cuts that good
Bill remember that when tightening the band tension to make sure that it is not so tight as to rob saw horse power (the band wheels are only 10" diameter) . Also a flim of bar & chain oil on the band teeth will help .
Scott

Who do you buy your blades from and how long do they last. I know the question about how long they last is pretty stupid as it is 100% variable but just wondering

The last blades (2) I bought were from Hakansson Industries , South Elgin , IL. When I bought my mill it was supplied with 2 blades and I bought 3 extra . I have not ran the Hakansson blades . They are suppose to be the same silicone steel 3 tpi ,3/4" wide , .025" thick blade .
I never kept track of linear feet cut per blade .
I do remember reading a blog from the guy that developed the turner mill about only getting 300' per band with his ripsaw and the woodmizer high cost being the reason to develop his mill .

I believe the ripsaw best use is for resawing or slabbing a cant .

Yes, a Ripsaw is best for slabbing a cant given the 14" max width. The biggest issue is keeping the cut flat since it is the guide for the next slab. Any issue and it gets magnified as you get lower in the cant. It's hard to get the cut started perfectly. With a large chainsaw saw it's unbalanced, too heavy on the saw end. I hung weights on the opposite end to try to balance it. Uses way less fuel than a regular chainsaw mill Last summer I cut 8 slabs on a pine log before refueling. I refuel every slab with a regular chainsaw mill to not run out of gas in the middle of a cut. I think it works best on a 3 sided cant so there's no dirty bark to dull the blade. Last time I used it I was cutting a 2 sided cant and hit something. Goodbye to that blade.

Back