who uses a side-side UTV for geting firewood and work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.E. Metal Werx

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hey guys. today i went out and bought a yamaha Rhino 450, i plan to pull a trailer with it and also load wood in the bed, i also got a 2500 pound winch on it, plan to use that to drag up some logs and to get my self from being stuck.. you know how it goes? are side-sides good for firewood work? thanks

I use this Kubota RTV900. 3 cyl. diesel, hydro trans, hydro dump and 4wd. It does an awesome job of getting to wherever the wood is. The hydro trans is awesome. It will literally stop that 5x10 trailer while full of wood when going down a hill, even with the bed full too. This is WITHOUT using the brakes.

Here's a few pics:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have a Polaris Ranger that I haul my firewood with and it works great! It's amazing the loads it will pull and haul. I wouldn't want to go back to a 4 wheel ATV again. You will love your new Rhino for firewood!:clap:

I have a 450 rhino also for pulling my wood trailers around has the winch front and rear setup on it... I also have a winch on 1 of my trailers so all I do is plug my trailer winch to the back of my rhino, pull up the big rounds or the logs... What I like about the Rhino when done working it you can go play...

I'm jealous - I'd love to have a 4x4 side by side, You're going to really love that thing for hauling wood, but those rhinos are plain fun when you're done working too. Eventually I'll have to upgrade, but I'll still have to get a pre-scratched up used one because there is no way I'd ever be able to bring myself to take a shiny new Rhino/Ranger/Kubota/Gatot/etc the the places I take my Mule.

By the way, I've posted this pic before, but here is my Mule over-loaded up after bringing a load of wood from the back 40. I made some side racks, added a chainsaw scabbard made from an old Stihl bar cover, and some hooks on the other side for holding a maul or axe, and some Deestone Swamp Witches on the back.

attachment.php

:cheers: congrats on your new Rhino!

051 Wow you got a hell of a mule... Mules are definly a workhorse I can't load my rhino up like that, see bottom out...

Nice hauler thu keep hauling...:clap: :clap: :clap:

Man, those Kubota's are sure meant for working. The others are toys in comparison.
It all depends what you use them for.
My buddys have a Kubota, and a Rhino 700. The Rhino is fast and fun, but the Kubota is 3 times the worker.

Around here, theres a lot of people who have Polaris Rangers. Im personally partial to the Yamaha Rhinos.
The comfort and build quality of the Rhino is much better. The Rhino feels like you are driving a sportscar, the Ranger is like driving a beatup old pickup truck.
Im also not a fan of Polaris' AWD setup. In order to get power to the front wheels, the back tires have to lose traction. That makes it a pain to use the Ranger in some instance because in order to get power to the front tires, the rears must first lose traction.
I like Yamaha's setup better because you can lock in the front and rears, which IMO is more useful.
Dont get me wrong, the Ranger is a nice rig. It just has some little things about it that I dont like. It has a huge steering wheel that looks like it belongs on a schoolbus and the steering really has no feel to it and isnt all that tight. The bench seat is rock hard and uncomfortable and the overall build quality isnt all that good on the Ranger.
Compare that to the Rhino, which has a much smaller steering wheel, bucket seats with side bolsters and great build quality.
The Polaris Ranger RZR is pretty impressive, but Im not a fan of the regular Ranger.

i have a rhino 450..i use mine for play.. you will like it. if you use a trailer get the tong extension. 17" i think.. it will ease to hook the trailer up..
http://adamant.pictiger.com/images/

Last edited:
I have a Rhino 700 and like it very much. Use it around the place all the time. Having the capability to haul cargo is very nice and handy. Set my up with larger mud tires and Warn winch for those tough areas!

I use my rhino for hauling firewood, it works excellent. I replaced the box with a flat deck that is clamped on so it is easily changed back.

We have a kawasaki mule with a 1500 pnd winch you would be suprised how
much wood it will haul and tow.we put tires on it that look like farm tractor tires
and have a trailer we tow behind it .The winch works great for dragging
logs and brush out .Plus its a 4x4 and when your done we toss down some
beer and ride around.

Last edited:
My neighbors have one, I won't say its an off-brand as the frame is boxed 1/4" plate galvinized but I can't remember what it is. They can lock both front and rear difs but its no good in snow. They aren't turf tires either.

oops, I just found it online, its a Woods 4x4, pretty serious UTV. Rated for 1100lb in the box.

Any tricks for UTV's to climb hills in the snow? Anyone use chains? I guess ATV's have a tire area to weight ratio closer to a skidder and UTV's ratio is closer to 4x4 truck?
Ian

Yukon, that's a good load on your rhino, are you limited to pretty much flat ground loaded like that?

Last edited:
I would say it climbs even better loaded provided its not too steep to lighten the front end. I don't think a load of firewood is any heavier than hauling out a moose and it handles that well.
I was out today and used the rhino to shuttle wood out to the pickup, 3 rhino loads is a heaping truck load.

Yukon,
You are making your rhino work for its keep eh, was there a big difference with the chains on the back? If so, next time I see my neighbors I'll suggest that to them.
I'm jealous of your snow too, its going to be +17 here today....
Ian

I never realized how much the kubota and mule look the same .everything
from the pic looks like its made the same way.

I use a 2-Wheel drive Deere Gator and pull two different trailers - a small 2'x4' steel trailer with 18" sides (alos can pull it behind the yard tractor) with a capacity of 2000lbs and I made a 5'x10' wooden deck trailer that started out as a set of running gear (hay wagon axles) that I added a frame & deck to. Bought the running gear from Northern tool. I planned the width at 5' to match the width of the Gator and with the steering axle on the trailer, it follows the Gator's path pretty well. I couldn't afford one of the more premium UTVs (4 wd, cab, heat, etc.), but the Gator works for my needs.

I split the following year's wood and stack directly on the 5'x10' trailer and then move the Gator & a trailer full of wood to the 'seasoning' racks'. the Gator is only rated at 1000 lbs towing, buttttttt, I'm guessing it tows at least 2400 lbs (based on someone I know using his Gator to move a 10,000 GVW steel deck trailer around his yard).

As they say, "Strong like bull, smart like tractor".

Steve

Back