Why bother with 10mm prussics?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtoolsnewproblems

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Finally cutting myself off from buying any more gear until I need it, but this last round of goodies(a proper friction saver and a few more nylon and dyneema loops) I got real wrapped around the axle on prussic cordage. I have a notch wrapstar I'm really fond of, and was going to buy some bulk length for misc things, and saw it comes in 10.1mm as well as the 8.1mm I already have. The 8 work great for everything I've put it thru, and wouldn't the 10 be a little large to be hitched around some ropes? Why would I want to use it ever? A little extra strength when used for rigging was my first guess, but it seems friction hitch in rigging systems are pretty rare so I doubt that's it.

Would 5ft of 10mm prussic cord in my bag suddenly be useful someday, or am I better off just having 10ft of tried and true 8mm?

I use 8mm on everything, the only time I use 10mm is on my flipline, which is half inch, or on 16 strand 1/2" with a VT

heck, IIRC 8mm HRC does good on 1/2" lines

so, id stay with 8mm

Back