Why do y'all hate on Stihl axes so much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen so many memes about it... I get the lift helmet hate, but I don't get the Stihl axe hate.
I don't hate them, I don't prefer the particular style, too light, curved handle, and overpriced for what it is. Probably a damned fine camp axe, but not something I'd beat a wedge with by choice.

the ones I do hate, Husqvarna/gransfors brux and various other "boutique" "hand Forged" insanely overpriced junk.... if its forged using dies, its literally drop forged, no different then a Council Tools version but the Council is 1/8th the price... (and I mean the literal definition of drop forged, is using dies to from heated metal)

To be fair yer garden variety axes are also drop forged, but they skimp on both design and metal quality

To be completely honest, I really wanted a Gransfors Brux when I first heard about them, cause hand forged is cool, but they made the mistake of releasing a video of how they are made... Council Tools has one too, nearly identical process, one just has more marketing.

I don't like all the extra vibes from Stihl's ash handles, Husky's hickory ones absorb the vibrations much better.

In all seriousness, when I can still get axes for less than $20 or even free I'll be d@mned if I pay a ton of money for a particular brand's tool. My two favorite wedge beaters are no-names, one was free the other was ~$5. For my biggun I use a freebie 6lb Council. Also, if I recall right Stihl axes use a different eye type, meaning I can't just go to a hardware store for a handle, I have to buy a marked up, almost proprietary type one from Stihl. No thanks!

Stihl axes are good tools. I have their splitting axe, and it’s a fine splitter. But, the handle is too fat, and too short for a splitting tool, and it’s expensive. Like, really expensive. I like the Ochsenkopf design for their splitting maul, and I think it’s superior to every other one out there. But Council Tool builds a more functional chopping axe for a much better price using the same processes that also uses a standard handle anybody can go get at a hardware store.

And then there’s the old-school used axes you can buy that are an excellent deal, put a handle on, and make them to your liking. Less waste from reusing something old, and often better steel.

I don't like all the extra vibes from Stihl's ash handles, Husky's hickory ones absorb the vibrations much better.

In all seriousness, when I can still get axes for less than $20 or even free I'll be d@mned if I pay a ton of money for a particular brand's tool. My two favorite wedge beaters are no-names, one was free the other was ~$5. For my biggun I use a freebie 6lb Council. Also, if I recall right Stihl axes use a different eye type, meaning I can't just go to a hardware store for a handle, I have to buy a marked up, almost proprietary type one from Stihl. No thanks!
Yeah, but do you own a Woodslasher axe?

I've found the "different eye size" pop up here even with USA made axes.
Plumb 3# double bit, Collins Red Seal hatchet as examples & all my favorite European axes.
So cant really hold that against the German Ox heads.

In fact, I had to adapt & overcome with my FAVORITE hatchet, I believe its oldish German, but its unmarked.
Been a BUNCH come thru my place, but this one has stayed (Edge holding KING).
I cut down a much larger hatchet handle & shaped with a belt sander.
That was several years ago & it still impresses me everytime I use it.
Easy to do with a belt sander.
IMG_20200930_194204.jpg

I had one for 2 days and only pounded wedges with it. Never struck anything but a plastic wedge and it split at the odd flat spot behind the head. Traded it for another, again only pounded plastic wedges, it broke dead in the middle of the handle between the head and the end. I liked the feel, balance, and weight of the axe but the ash handles are garbage. And the odd design of the head won’t allow you to fit a new handle to it unless it’s a Stihl brand. I moved on after the second one broke

We sell the husky and Stihl axes at my shop. If I had to choose one over the other it would be husky. That being said, I can find a nice vintage axe head in the pattern I want and hang it on a American made hickory handle for the same or less money.

I had one for 2 days and only pounded wedges with it. Never struck anything but a plastic wedge and it split at the odd flat spot behind the head. Traded it for another, again only pounded plastic wedges, it broke dead in the middle of the handle between the head and the end. I liked the feel, balance, and weight of the axe but the ash handles are garbage. And the odd design of the head won’t allow you to fit a new handle to it unless it’s a Stihl brand. I moved on after the second one broke
Which way was the grain in the handle going? You want it running inline with the edge & butt.
It it's perpendicular, it won't last long. Stihl should know better but who knows.

Which way was the grain in the handle going? You want it running inline with the edge & butt.
It it's perpendicular, it won't last long. Stihl should know better but who knows.

Of the 6 or so that they had, they were all diagonal, I think it had less to do with grain and more to do with the design of the handle and the fact that they are made out of ash. I think that’s why a lot of their top end axes have a metal guard just below the head. That’s not a very common feature on a professional or top end axe. Design flaw in my opinion

Of the 6 or so that they had, they were all diagonal, I think it had less to do with grain and more to do with the design of the handle and the fact that they are made out of ash. I think that’s why a lot of their top end axes have a metal guard just below the head. That’s not a very common feature on a professional or top end axe. Design flaw in my opinion
Had to take a look. The metal lower is unique.
Almost like it's being marketed towards people who aren't terribly accurate i.e. homeowners

Like Northmanlogging stated, Councils are pretty nice.

Back