Why I Won't Plant A Tree On Arbor Day This Year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well all righty then...

Yes, tree plantations are not the same as a biodiverse natural landscape. Neither are crop fields, chicken or cattle ranches, orchards, etc. Still beats blacktop, concrete and bare dirt.

Arbor Day idea isn't flawed. It seems as if it has become very widespread, all 50 states and many countries( over 40) observe it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbor_Day
"While most holidays celebrate something that has already happened and is worth remembering, Arbor Day represents a hope for the future. The simple act of planting a tree represents a belief that the tree will grow to provide us with clean air and water, cooling shade, habitat for wildlife, healthier communities, and endless natural beauty — all for a better tomorrow."
Nice ray! I can definitely agree with what your saying. Well said.

Anytime anyone plants a tree it is probably a good thing- right tree right place is a help. But box elder and tree of heaven growing through chain link fence on property lines in towns and cities is not a good thing unless one is the tree removal business. Forest and trees do not want or need our management, we manage trees for our own benefit, whether it is for food, timber, pulp, shade, wildlife or esthetics. Pruning broken branch- is that a good thing ? I am not a tree whisperer, so I do not know.
Here in the northeast we 70-80% forested, but a 130 years ago it was less than 30% forested. Leave nature along and it heals it self. Just an other opinion and opinions are like anal sphincter muscles, everyone has one.
You look at forest today and wounder how the settlers managed to drive there horse drawn wagons across the wilderness through all those thick wooded landscapes.
Well back then wild fires kept the underbrush cleared out and the woods were not as dense as they are now. Wild fires burned till they burned themselves out. Because the fires burned so often the underbrush never got so dense to cause the big trees to be harmed.
In fact many pine trees needed fire to open up the cones to make the seeds fall out.
It was mans desire to put out every fire that made out forest to now be tender boxes and when they catch fire it bruns everything, big tree to.

You look at forest today and wounder how the settlers managed to drive there horse drawn wagons across the wilderness through all those thick wooded landscapes.
Well back then wild fires kept the underbrush cleared out and the woods were not as dense as they are now. Wild fires burned till they burned themselves out. Because the fires burned so often the underbrush never got so dense to cause the big trees to be harmed.
In fact many pine trees needed fire to open up the cones to make the seeds fall out.
It was mans desire to put out every fire that made out forest to now be tender boxes and when they catch fire it bruns everything, big tree to.

The settlers largely followed Indian trails.

Latest posts

Back