Why Your Chainsaw Cuts Crooked

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hipastore

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
why does your chainsaw cut crooked.jpg
If your chainsaw tends to perform the crooked cutting every time you cut at a 90-degree angle. You may be confused about the cutting result, and have no idea how to address it. Fortunately, based on plenty of research and analysis, we have figured out the reasons and solutions to the crooked cutting that impacts negatively on your cutting. Go through the article, and we will help you save your chainsaw.

Reasons
1. A Badly Dull Chain
The first reason that breaks your cutting efficiency may come from the chainsaw chain itself. With the worn or even broken cutter teeth, the badly worn chain can not lead to a normal cutting path but a crooked one. So it is necessary to check your chain and sharpen it in time. If you have no idea how to sharpen your chain, you can take it through this blog for reference: File Sizes for Different Chainsaw Chains.
2. A Wrong Size Chain
Another reason also comes in the chainsaw chain itself. The wrong size chain, precisely a chain with a thicker gauge makes the chain stand unstable in the chain groove. It is really dangerous to cut with such a wrong size chain, because the chain naturally tends to lean on the groove, making the cutter teeth of the chain cut at an angle that differs from what you want. Therefore, it is important to check the gauge of the chain is the same as your guide bar. A simple way to check if your bar has a wrong gauge chain is to grab your chain on the guide bar and move it back and forth. If the chain flops over snugly, it shows you have the wrong gauge chain to work with. Then you’ll need to replace it with a right size chainsaw chain.
3. A Worn-Groove Bar
As we mentioned above, the chain will lean on the groove when cutting, and the groove will wear over time, which may result in the failure of the rails to support the chain to stand straightly. Even if you have the proper chain, the wider groove will also provide the space where the chain can sway.
4. A Worn-Rails Bar
The bar rails are the two edges besides the groove. It is can be seen that the rails always wear irregularly and unevenly, or one of the rails is taller than the other one, making the chain stand at a slope angle to start with. So you can not make a straight cutting with a worn-rails bar as your chain is not sitting straightly on the guide bar. The easiest way to check the rails’ level is to stand the guide bar up on a parallel surface. If the bar stands stably by itself, it indicates the rails are at the same level and just need a fine tune.

Solutions
If your guide bar is good, and the problem comes from your chain, there are two ways to make your chainsaw go back into service: one is to sharpen your dull chain; the other is to change your wrong size chain with a correct one.
For the worn-groove guide bar, you can grab the chain on the top of the guide bar and wiggle it, then repeat the move to the chain on the bottom of the guide bar. And, compared to the two wiggles extending, if the top chain wiggles are less than that of the bottom chain, you need to flip the guide bar over; if the chains on the two parts all have a big wiggle, you need to buy a new guide bar.
Apart from the worn groove guide bar, we also have three ways to save your cutting from the worn-rails guide bar. First, you can send your worn guide bar to a grinder at a local small engine shop around your home. Second, as an easy DIY solution, you can use a flat file to tune your guide bar rails to the same level with your hand and eyeballs. Third, a bar rail dresser is a more professional tool that helps to adjust your rails to a level mechanically.

The wrong size chain, precisely a chain with a thicker gauge makes the chain stand unstable in the chain groove.

You really need to proofread better, or learn a bit more. This statement is a glaring error.

A thicker guage chain doesn't fit into a smaller guage bar. It's not that you shouldn't use the larger chain on the smaller bar. You cannot do it, as it won't fit.

Yes. A smaller guage chain in a bigger guage bar will definitely make it cut crooked.

You really need to proofread better, or learn a bit more. This statement is a glaring error.

A thicker guage chain doesn't fit into a smaller guage bar. It's not that you shouldn't use the larger chain on the smaller bar. You cannot do it, as it won't fit.

Yes. A smaller guage chain in a bigger guage bar will definitely make it cut crooked.
The Ai is still learning, it is using all of its algorithms to glean information from every members posts to put these bot messages out there, don`t expect them to be very accurate so soon.

View attachment 1011151
If your chainsaw tends to perform the crooked cutting every time you cut at a 90-degree angle. You may be confused about the cutting result, and have no idea how to address it. Fortunately, based on plenty of research and analysis, we have figured out the reasons and solutions to the crooked cutting that impacts negatively on your cutting. Go through the article, and we will help you save your chainsaw.

Reasons
1. A Badly Dull Chain
The first reason that breaks your cutting efficiency may come from the chainsaw chain itself. With the worn or even broken cutter teeth, the badly worn chain can not lead to a normal cutting path but a crooked one. So it is necessary to check your chain and sharpen it in time. If you have no idea how to sharpen your chain, you can take it through this blog for reference: File Sizes for Different Chainsaw Chains.
2. A Wrong Size Chain
Another reason also comes in the chainsaw chain itself. The wrong size chain, precisely a chain with a thicker gauge makes the chain stand unstable in the chain groove. It is really dangerous to cut with such a wrong size chain, because the chain naturally tends to lean on the groove, making the cutter teeth of the chain cut at an angle that differs from what you want. Therefore, it is important to check the gauge of the chain is the same as your guide bar. A simple way to check if your bar has a wrong gauge chain is to grab your chain on the guide bar and move it back and forth. If the chain flops over snugly, it shows you have the wrong gauge chain to work with. Then you’ll need to replace it with a right size chainsaw chain.
3. A Worn-Groove Bar
As we mentioned above, the chain will lean on the groove when cutting, and the groove will wear over time, which may result in the failure of the rails to support the chain to stand straightly. Even if you have the proper chain, the wider groove will also provide the space where the chain can sway.
4. A Worn-Rails Bar
The bar rails are the two edges besides the groove. It is can be seen that the rails always wear irregularly and unevenly, or one of the rails is taller than the other one, making the chain stand at a slope angle to start with. So you can not make a straight cutting with a worn-rails bar as your chain is not sitting straightly on the guide bar. The easiest way to check the rails’ level is to stand the guide bar up on a parallel surface. If the bar stands stably by itself, it indicates the rails are at the same level and just need a fine tune.

Solutions
If your guide bar is good, and the problem comes from your chain, there are two ways to make your chainsaw go back into service: one is to sharpen your dull chain; the other is to change your wrong size chain with a correct one.
For the worn-groove guide bar, you can grab the chain on the top of the guide bar and wiggle it, then repeat the move to the chain on the bottom of the guide bar. And, compared to the two wiggles extending, if the top chain wiggles are less than that of the bottom chain, you need to flip the guide bar over; if the chains on the two parts all have a big wiggle, you need to buy a new guide bar.
Apart from the worn groove guide bar, we also have three ways to save your cutting from the worn-rails guide bar. First, you can send your worn guide bar to a grinder at a local small engine shop around your home. Second, as an easy DIY solution, you can use a flat file to tune your guide bar rails to the same level with your hand and eyeballs. Third, a bar rail dresser is a more professional tool that helps to adjust your rails to a level mechanically.

I proofread this and found no problems.

Good to go.

Every chainsaw cuts crooked when the bar is bent.

In fact, I keep several spare bars around, all bent into the custom shapes I want, then put them on when I need them.

My favorite bar is a Stihl bar which I twisted 90-degrees end-to-end.
Works great boring holes.
Or these:
1680289953986.jpeg
1680290179316.jpeg
A couple of loggers gave me these to remind me that things can get tough out in the field.

Anytime my cut curves it's always because I rocked the chain ( touched an unseen rock) and dulled one side of the cutters making the left to right side cutters now asymmetrical.....It's important to not only fix / sharpen the dulled cutters but make sure both left side and right side cutters are symmetrical / evenly filed / sharpened...hope that makes sense and is helpful 😊

Anytime my cut curves it's always because I rocked the chain ( touched an unseen rock) and dulled one side of the cutters making the left to right side cutters now asymmetrical.....It's important to not only fix / sharpen the dulled cutters but make sure both left side and right side cutters are symmetrical / evenly filed / sharpened...hope that makes sense and is helpful 😊

OR- rock both sides of the chain evenly! :p

A sharpen and a bar rail grind ( to even them up) is part of a tune up here.
I'm undoubtedly betraying my ignorance here, but I had long had the impression that once the groove in the bar was worn to something of a v-shape, grinding or filing the top surface of the bar was a stopgap at best. Not so?

Full disclosure: I'm hard on bars & chains. Hardwoods with mineral extractives, cutting fallen trees, lots and lots of rocks hidden in lots and lots of leaves, and I often have to drag logs over the rocks and dirt to get them to a place where I'm not trying to keep myself from sliding down a steep slope while I'm bucking, so I end up cutting dirty firewood. Sharpening chains and buying a bar or two more often than I'd like seems like a better choice than peeling dirty bark.

Back