Wild Cherry Trunk Rot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guggenheim99

Reaction score
This year we noticed that the bark on a bout a 1ftx3ft section of bark on our wild cherry seemed hollow underneath when knocking on it. We assumed maybe the bark or underneath had died for some reason. Today though I decided to dig a bit deeper and found something concerning. The whole area with the hollow bark was dead underneath. I pulled out all the bark in the area since it wasn't doing any good. The main wood under the bark seems somewhat solid, maybe a tiny bit soft. Looking at the wound I see black carpenter ants have some holes drilled into it. And pulling the bark off the ants and larvae were falling out. I plan to get ant bait and get it put around the tree to take care of them so they don't make the situation worse. My only concern is what I should do about the current rot situation. It almost looks like the tree is trying to heal around the edges. So this must have been going on for a few years I would suspect and it's just now becoming apparent. The tree is mature, leafing out very well and other then that I see no signs of distress or issues in the rest of the tree. Pretty much growing and acting the same way it's been for over 20 years. Dead limbs are always pruned off as soon as I spot them. In winter of 2020 2 years ago I had 2 large upper sections break out during an ice storm, but I had rented a lift in the spring and got the broken parts removed and stubs trimmed back correctly. Any possible ideas what may be happening? I'll attach some pictures. I would hate to have to lose the tree and cut it down as it shades out most of the yard and is a great shade tree in the summer. Thanks
20220709_134711.jpg20220709_134715.jpg20220709_134734.jpg20220709_134741.jpg

It's common to see old trunk wounds on existing trees in and around developments. This mechanical damage can happen during clearing, grading and or construction phases. Best to keep the wound area dry and free of lose dead bark. Continue to maintain proper tree health. I suspect a cavity will develop over time in the dead heartwood.

Black cherry is very good at sealing off wounds. If that's from mechanical damage and the crown is full and healthy the tree could live a long time. Then again, if the rot extends very far inward the tree could be structurally unsound.

Enjoy it for as long as it’s healthy, eventually it will go downhill and become a hazard . Could be a few years or 10 depending on the amount of rot.

Black cherry is very good at sealing off wounds. If that's from mechanical damage and the crown is full and healthy the tree could live a long time. Then again, if the rot extends very far inward the tree could be structurally unsound.
Ain’t no sealing that amount of rot, that thing is a timebomb. If it’s close to anything of value I’d remove it

No need to go poisoning anything. The ants are there because of the rotted wood, they're not causing it. Getting rid of them won't accomplish anything as far as the tree's health.

No need to go poisoning anything. The ants are there because of the rotted wood, they're not causing it. Getting rid of them won't accomplish anything as far as the tree's health.
Sorry but carpenter ants in a tree lead to carpenter ants in the buildings/ house. The more they working the tree the better chance of it snapping of in a windstorm and falling on something more valuable.

Latest posts

Back