Will a chimney cap hinder stove draft?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wood furnace uses a 6" chimney. I have 2 caps for it. The is a fancy one with expanded metal (stainless) to prevent unwanted critters from getting in. I quickly learned it's a pain in the rear to keep clean, so I bought an old fashioned style (and cheap) cap to replace it. Birds can easily get into it, but it does keep the rain out. I have the cheap one on it during the burning season, and put the nice one back on it after I clean the chimney the last time at the end of the year.

Screened for sure. In our parts, so many stories of ducks getting in, thinking it might be a good place to nest. Seriously, I have experienced it myself and it was not pleasant. I supposed if you have it burning 24/7 they won't but who burns 24/7/365.
A proper rain cap can HELP improve draft

Looking to install a fireplace insert into a older masonry fireplace in a two story brick home. The chimney flue is in excellent condition and is a 8-10 inch flue.
The previous owners had problems with birds coming down the flue, so a cap was installed. Would it be better if the cap was removed? Try it first and see what happens ? TIA
A chimney cap should present no problem for a good flue. With 8 to 10 inches, should have no problems

Back