Will a chimney cap hinder stove draft?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keving

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking to install a fireplace insert into a older masonry fireplace in a two story brick home. The chimney flue is in excellent condition and is a 8-10 inch flue.
The previous owners had problems with birds coming down the flue, so a cap was installed. Would it be better if the cap was removed? Try it first and see what happens ? TIA

I would never put one on because it allows the smoke to cool in the chimney and collect creosote...

...now that's just my theory; I dunno what effect it will have on drafting.

I say cap it to keep out the rain. I removed the screen on mine because it was getting clogged from creosote. The cap needs to have enough room to not restrict flow. My chimney stack is all metal so no critters can climb in but birds could get in. I always clean my chimney every year just before I start using it so that gives me a chance to make sure it's free and clear. I would remove the screen during burning season and replace it for the summer if I were having issues with critters. Or cap it off completely during the summer.
Once the chimney gets heated up it should draft much better then when cold. A cap could reduce flow if it is too close and doesn't have enough gap in it. But a cap should help keep the temps up in the chimney and that should help the flow.
It all depends on how handy it is to climb up there and make the changes every year.

Are you planning on installing a stainless liner? Likely a insulated liner may be required. Trying to understand the plan!
I will not be installing a liner, the chimney and flue are in perfect condition. This insert is built in the early 80’s before EPA. The outlet is two rectangular out top of the stove, there is no way to hook a liner to it.
I have a fireplace insert in another home that simply vents up a masonry chimney and it has worked great.

I had to cap a furnace vent once to keep high winds from blowing the exhaust back down the flue. When the winds were out of the west they would do that due to the house having another story on the front half. Only half the house was two story. The stack was 20' away but the wind still got to it.

I will not be installing a liner, the chimney and flue are in perfect condition. This insert is built in the early 80’s before EPA. The outlet is two rectangular out top of the stove, there is no way to hook a liner to it.
I have a fireplace insert in another home that simply vents up a masonry chimney and it has worked great.
I have worked in many a sheet metal shop and any sheet metal worker worth there weight can make an adapter to hook it up if you decide to go that wrought. I worked at a shop that made sheet metal duct work and they made all kinds of custom adapters to connect all kinds of duct work together.

Your insurance company will deny a claim should anything be installed not meeting code. Find out what the code is.

Im generally all for not letting a building inspector around my property.... But insurance is another deal.

Gotcha. Good luck and let us see some pics. Take care.

Screened for sure. In our parts, so many stories of ducks getting in, thinking it might be a good place to nest. Seriously, I have experienced it myself and it was not pleasant. I supposed if you have it burning 24/7 they won't but who burns 24/7/365.

Screened for sure. In our parts, so many stories of ducks getting in, thinking it might be a good place to nest. Seriously, I have experienced it myself and it was not pleasant. I supposed if you have it burning 24/7 they won't but who burns 24/7/365.
One time I was at home when I normally would not have been, and heard a ruckus in the chimney. Went to investigate, and arrived at the front of the fireplace screen (gas fireplace, not in use at that moment) at the exact moment that a wood duck was about to emerge and fly into my house. Grabbed it and took it to the front door where it flew off down the street. Could only imagine the mess that would have ensued if that duck had flown throughout our house with our three cats in pursuit.

I screened the flue very soon afterward.

One time I was at home when I normally would not have been, and heard a ruckus in the chimney. Went to investigate, and arrived at the front of the fireplace screen (gas fireplace, not in use at that moment) at the exact moment that a wood duck was about to emerge and fly into my house. Grabbed it and took it to the front door where it flew off down the street. Could only imagine the mess that would have ensued if that duck had flown throughout our house with our three cats in pursuit.

I screened the flue very soon afterward.
should have plucked and ate the dog gone thing... that would have taught him a lesson ;)

I installed a stainless chimney cap on our 8" square clay flue chimney. It had a hinge for easy cleaning. the only problem was if I had wood with any moisture in it it would cause the moisture to condense on the inside of the cap lid and drop back down to the bottom of the chimney. I have no insulation and the chimney is right outside the house and in Northern MN, it gets really cold. So, you can imagine my surprise when I opened the clean out door and it was filled with ice! Took 3 hours with a big bertha torch in -20 degrees farenheight to melt it all out. IT was nothing by VERY seasoned wood after that!

Latest posts

Back