Will my maple recover?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeithO

Reaction score
I have a maple tree that has been in the ground for about 10 years. It was probably a #5 pot and about 5 feet tall when planted, though I don't remember for sure. It has always looked a bit sickly and not grown much in those 10 years. It was planted about 20 feet from a large honey locust that was just removed due to size, mess, root damage, etc. The honey locust was probably 40-50 feet wide and tall when taken down and overshadowed the maple. The original plan when planting the maple was to let it get some size and then remove the locust. However the maple never really took off and we decided it was time for the locust to go. I realize now that I planted the maple ~4" too deep. I dug it out a bit to check for girdling roots and didn't see any currently causing issues, although the two large roots that are not growing straight out have me concerned. You can see the size difference of the locust and maple (to the right of the locust) as well as the root flare of the maple in the attached pictures.

I am trying to decide if I should give the maple a chance now that the locust is gone. Or just rip the band aid and remove the maple and plant a new tree (correctly this time). I don't want to wait if the maple is unlikely to grow into a healthy shade tree at this point. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20211214_125437.jpg
    20211214_125437.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220317_162717.jpg
    20220317_162717.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220317_162700.jpg
    20220317_162700.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
Lots of room for new trees so I wouldn't rip that maple out just yet. It has years of benefits left in it.

But long term those roots are going to be a serious problem.

Give it a year or three and see what it does. Growing under that locust probably wasn't doing it any good. Was it to the north of that locust ie in the shade all the time? Also some trees give off chemicals that are poison to trees not of their species. Not sure if the locust do or not. Also like Del said those roots look bad, like the tree was in the container too long. Some of those nursery specimens are just sickly that way. Have been chippin away at a row of maples at my sister's place that all got planted in wire cages.

Thanks for you thoughts. The maple was to the east of the locust, house is south facing. So it got morning sun and the growth definitely favors that side of the tree. Hopefully it will fill out a bit now that it will get all the sun it wants.

I have a maple tree that has been in the ground for about 10 years. It was probably a #5 pot and about 5 feet tall when planted, though I don't remember for sure. It has always looked a bit sickly and not grown much in those 10 years. It was planted about 20 feet from a large honey locust that was just removed due to size, mess, root damage, etc. The honey locust was probably 40-50 feet wide and tall when taken down and overshadowed the maple. The original plan when planting the maple was to let it get some size and then remove the locust. However the maple never really took off and we decided it was time for the locust to go. I realize now that I planted the maple ~4" too deep. I dug it out a bit to check for girdling roots and didn't see any currently causing issues, although the two large roots that are not growing straight out have me concerned. You can see the size difference of the locust and maple (to the right of the locust) as well as the root flare of the maple in the attached pictures.

I am trying to decide if I should give the maple a chance now that the locust is gone. Or just rip the band aid and remove the maple and plant a new tree (correctly this time). I don't want to wait if the maple is unlikely to grow into a healthy shade tree at this point. Any suggestions?
My unprofessional opinion - it was kept way to long in the pot.
Much easier to get rid of it now rather than later.
I'd replace it with a nice B&B shade tree.

PS
Are you sure you want another humongous tree that close to your house?
View attachment 974501
Excellent question. I'm looking at a New Horizon Elm as my option to replace the maple. It should be smaller, but still large at maturity. We are south facing and the sun was brutal even over the winter. So a shade tree is a must. Thank you for your thoughts.

Latest posts

Back