Will these videos make me safer with a chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus von herten

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just a homeowner here cutting a couple of cords per year of small local mesquite, juniper and palo verde (Arizona) but I’ve acquired some wooded areas back east with 40 foot white ash that I’m preparing to cut if I have to.

I have a Husky 450 Rancher, just got a Stihl MS261C and am looking to get a Husky 372XP and an MS461 if I can find one.

My dad used to fell tall oak and maple with his 1970s era Mac with almost no regard to safety, but with a ton of luck, and never killed himself. Cutting trees on steep hills, straight cuts no hinge, I have no idea how he was able to fell and buck those trees without tragedy, but he managed to do it. Never taught me how to cut down trees and I’ve been self taught from videos and cutting up firewood.

I am a much more cautious fellow, and I don’t think I had the kind of luck that my dad did, therefore, I try to get reasonably prepared for things. I stumbled across some Canadian provincial government videos, about 3 hours’ worth.

I know it won’t make me a pro, but would it make my survival odds much higher?

If these videos aren’t good, what do you recommend to get a homeowner up to speed to safely fell and buck larger trees?

Thanks for your expertise, be well gents.

Okay I’ll check those out. Many thanks!

My nightmare scenario is a diseased tree that barber chairs.

I found the video below a bit hair raising for the man involved, but they gave me some more familiarity with the barber chair effect.

I've seen some barber chair videos on YT that'll make your hair stand on end...great big west coast trees that chair and come unglued like bunker busters... Yikes!

Yeah, I found those BC falling standard videos to be helpful, too.

As for that Daniel guy who intentionally chaired that tree, that just seemed pointlessly reckless and stupid to me, and a good way to get killed...I bet his insurance carrier would be interested to see that.

A few years ago looking for some felling instructional videos I ran across a series by Terry Hale on YouTube. He goes into detail in different videos about notching, back cuts, different types of cuts, wedging, roping, leaners, etc, etc…. He goes into the physics of some of these things in a way that I thought really gave a good understanding and was applicable. I found it to be a very informative series of videos from a guy who seems to know what he’s talking about. Made me better and safer.

Just a homeowner here cutting a couple of cords per year of small local mesquite, juniper and palo verde (Arizona) but I’ve acquired some wooded areas back east with 40 foot white ash that I’m preparing to cut if I have to.

I have a Husky 450 Rancher, just got a Stihl MS261C and am looking to get a Husky 372XP and an MS461 if I can find one.

My dad used to fell tall oak and maple with his 1970s era Mac with almost no regard to safety, but with a ton of luck, and never killed himself. Cutting trees on steep hills, straight cuts no hinge, I have no idea how he was able to fell and buck those trees without tragedy, but he managed to do it. Never taught me how to cut down trees and I’ve been self taught from videos and cutting up firewood.

I am a much more cautious fellow, and I don’t think I had the kind of luck that my dad did, therefore, I try to get reasonably prepared for things. I stumbled across some Canadian provincial government videos, about 3 hours’ worth.

I know it won’t make me a pro, but would it make my survival odds much higher?

If these videos aren’t good, what do you recommend to get a homeowner up to speed to safely fell and buck larger trees?

Thanks for your expertise, be well gents.

The 75-yo LIFELONG, EXPERIENCED farmer Uncle clearing storm damage, and limb under tension that he did not realize, reacting in a way he did not expect, nearly lost his entire eyeball, and did lose sight in that eye; that was 6+ yrs ago; his sister's next door neighbor, (back 40+ yrs ago while we then newlyweds, visiting that week) got chainsaw across the thigh and bled to death on the pond sloping edge while cutting a tree. I have a few internet chainsaw accident pics I store on my PC. My career before retirement ended with 20+ years of "Safety" in my job title. Nothing takes the place of preparedness in YOUR MIND, while doing a job, PREVENTION being the BEST direction/ advise?

Latest posts

Back