Will this ported 026/ms260 pull a 32 inch bar?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbc350

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
After rebuilding this turd saw from 2 different saws a ms260 and 026 i kept it mostly with 026 parts except 1 case half, so after bunch of testing and working up in steps to porting this 026 (48.7cc model)

After not satisfied turning a 16 inch with 325 i start to port this saw I was on mission wanting to run it with a 24 inch bar with 3/8's full comp and seeing a few videos with fellows with narrow kerf chain which I thought was kind of cheating, and another pulling a 28 inch bar on a ms261 ported by tree monkey which are 2 different animals from the same family tree.
well here is the final results, I will be pulling apart 1 more time to do a touch more exhaust timing but I'm pretty happy where it is now

Attachments

• 20210802_142441.jpg
    20210802_142441.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
As for a big bar on this saw, the concern that jumps out to me is getting enough oil to the bar/chain.
Oil is for sure a huge issue, it was oiling but defintely not enough but its not living life with a 32, was just testing how the porting worked out because I was having troubles just pulling a 24 with rsf with first couple steps of porting then tossed on the 16 inch 325 and wasn't at all please how it pulled at all, so went under the knife another time and this was the results on top of pulling the aggressive chain setup for the 24 inch bar for the ported 038 mag and thars not turned up neither. I'll be doing a little touch up to pull more rpm and that'll be it, I was very impressed for the fact it pulled a 32 rsf and full comp period

View attachment 922364

Remember the Piltz "Hot Rod Kits"

This Stihl 250 is selling for $647.77 on Ebay, 12 sold:popcorn2:
I seen those and impressive setup, cost of those kits to get to Canada is pricey as heck for one and second that's like going from 32 inch tires to 28s to do a burn out and look cool, so if I can pull 3/8 with a larger bar this case life will be with a 24 why not? Have to mod the oiler on mine to pull more oil, I would be worried about the ms250's being a non adjustable oiler

No offense buddy, that was akin to watching paint dry. Very slow.
Never said it was a speed demon by any means possible with a 32 inch fill comp or even rsf, point of it was its impressive to pull it after the hurdles of getting it pull a 24 with stock rsf good in comparison to a 16 with 325 that was on it originally. Lots of room left if I wanted to crank it right up which I don't, rather stay on the safe side of ragged edge of sanity

My friends and I did in between testing off our 026 and 260 in wood with 16 inch bars and 24 inch bars. We both do several cuts at the same time in a log.

His 026 with the way it’s ported will beat my ported large carb 260 using 16 inch bars.

We both swap out to the 24 inch, my 260 easily beats his.

My friends and I did in between testing off our 026 and 260 in wood with 16 inch bars and 24 inch bars. We both do several cuts at the same time in a log.

His 026 with the way it’s ported will beat my ported large carb 260 using 16 inch bars.

We both swap out to the 24 inch, my 260 easily beats his.
Same porter and numbers? I know there is a bit of difference between the models due to slightly larger jug stock vs stock. What are you running for a carb?

After rebuilding this turd saw from 2 different saws a ms260 and 026 i kept it mostly with 026 parts except 1 case half, so after bunch of testing and working up in steps to porting this 026 (48.7cc model)

After not satisfied turning a 16 inch with 325 i start to port this saw I was on mission wanting to run it with a 24 inch bar with 3/8's full comp and seeing a few videos with fellows with narrow kerf chain which I thought was kind of cheating, and another pulling a 28 inch bar on a ms261 ported by tree monkey which are 2 different animals from the same family tree.
well here is the final results, I will be pulling apart 1 more time to do a touch more exhaust timing but I'm pretty happy where it is now

sounds good, imo! thanks for the vid... i like just about anything 026! :cool:

a :numberone:kinda saw if u ask me. but then i am partial... mine, a late 20th century and still NIB in appearance! runs like that, too! over the years, carb rebuild only major tune up needs other than the usual... fires right up!

sounds good, imo! thanks for the vid... i like just about anything 026! :cool:

a :numberone:kinda saw if u ask me. but then i am partial... mine, a late 20th century and still NIB in appearance! runs like that, too! over the years, carb rebuild only major tune up needs other than the usual... fires right up!
Thanks, Ya this thing was pretty mangled when I picked it up, was a rental saw but the top end was still useable and most of the saw also, local dealer thankfully had a used 026 top cover and another had a used ms260 filter cover and also running a ms260 air filter and original carb for now anyways, i have some ideas what I may try to keep stock looking appearance rather then the other methods I have seen that are pretty hack and slash but functional see if pulls enough gains to make it worth wild. Just need it going good until winter when I won't need my saws and back under some experimenting. I like my 0 series saws also. Next up under the guillotine is porting a 028 super for buddy and then a 025 and then.... another winter project is a husky 266

Back