Windsor bar numbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlamppa1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone have a way of decoding Windsor bar numbers? The tip has Windsor stamped on it. The bar numbers are:

5832-60

E68X

It’s an old Jonsered 621. I picked it up last week. Came with bar and no chain. Want to verify the gauge and pitch for the chain.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Windsor bar numbers were in a different format than this. This bar was made for an OEM, and the number shown s an OEM part number. The old Windsor number for a 621 would have been 16JR58STA. They only made 16" with the Speed Tip nose. The 16" would have been 60 Drive Links, and .058" gauge. It's possible that they made an 18" specifically for Jonsered but didn't sell them as aftermarket from what I remember.

New topic but still Windsor guide bar related. Number is 12UM50SSK. I'm putting it on a Homelite XL. It is a 12 inch bar with 1/4 pitch and 0.050 gauge. There are 12 points on the nose sprocket. I have got the correct powerhead drive sprocket with 1/4 inch pitch and 9 point star. Photo of drive sprocket and bar is shown. I'd appreciate help with how many drive links the chain should have. Oregon has 25AP ControlCut 1/4 inch pitch, 0.050 gauge in 63, 64 or 65 drive links. Some quick research showed that a DL count in the low to mid 60's would be in the ballpark. Or, is there a way I can solve this with measurements and a calculation? Thanks - in advance - for the help. Windsor Bar_12UM50SSK.jpg

Thanks for the input. Good to know it’s a quality bar. However, mine is a 1/4 pitch not a 3/8 pitch. I did some quirky math and came up with 68 DL for the 1/4 pitch chain. There’s a good store here. I’ll pick up an Oregon 25AP with 68 DL for a test fit. If it’s a NO GO they’ll take it back. And I’ll know if I need to go up or down in the DL number.

Thanks for the input. Good to know it’s a quality bar. However, mine is a 1/4 pitch not a 3/8 pitch. I did some quirky math and came up with 68 DL for the 1/4 pitch chain. There’s a good store here. I’ll pick up an Oregon 25AP with 68 DL for a test fit. If it’s a NO GO they’ll take it back. And I’ll know if I need to go up or down in the DL number.
Best bet would be to put the bar on without the cover over it and adjust it about half way then measure with a cloth tape around the bar and drive sprocket then divide what ever you get with the chain pitch doubled.

Best bet would be to put the bar on without the cover over it and adjust it about half way then measure with a cloth tape around the bar and drive sprocket then divide what ever you get with the chain gauge doubled.
Much appreciated. I assume you meant double the pitch value rather than the gauge. I’ll give that a try. I was hoping the knowledgable, like you, would share a method like that. It makes sense.

Best bet would be to put the bar on without the cover over it and adjust it about half way then measure with a cloth tape around the bar and drive sprocket then divide what ever you get with the chain pitch doubled.
It tried your method using a piece of string that I measured after using it to do the wrap around the bar and sprocket. Length was 33 and 1/2 inches, So dividing that by 1/2 inch (2x 1/4 inch pitch) gives 67 DL. I got that same result of 67 DL by applying some proportional math to a 12 inch bar with 3/8 pitch and 45 DL that was previously fit to the saw. Same answer from two different methods. I’m convinced an Oregon 25AP chain with 67 DL will work with this 1/4 inch pitch cutting system and the 12 inch Windsor bar on my Homelite XL.
Thanks again for the help.

Back