Windsor FL6 chain sharpener from the 1980's... your thought's?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I know a man who wants to sell me a Windsor FL6 chain sharpener. Just wondered what you all thought of them.
Are they made by another company for Windsor?

I see the Oregon and Tecomec units seem to be the most expensive electric sharpeners.
Is there any other super high quality, and expensive, brand of sharpener.
Thought I remember a while back, somebody mentioned some extremely expensive brands whose names I can't remember. Not having any luck finding the obscure brands online.

I think that Stihl makes some high quality sharpners.
Yep. Stihl are nice.
I decided hand filing with a file holder and raker gauge, and checking my work with a Harbor Freight digital caliper, is okay in the woods... but I need something faster and more accurate at home.

the pricy Oregon units are rebadged Tecomics. Silvey shut down several years ago- the owner was trying to sell the biz but no takers at the time- they are good grinders, and are more costly now than when in production. Just about everything else is a copy of the Tecomics generally made in chi-com territory. Some are pretty good. These are all chop saw style units. For the average user most work just fine. The little bit better units have bushings in up right that the power head support shaft rides on. head lift springs break- for me about 2 every six months ( commercial sharpening) the motors in the Tecomic and Oregon are better than the chi com clones again depending on your use could last you a life time. All the vises tend to wear out realtively quickly for me- I rebuild them about twice a year, making my own parts. Its just the nature of the grinding dust getting in there.

Latest posts

Back