winter weight hydraulic fluid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arborsharp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
yesterday my dump truck got stuck in the up position. mechanic said it blew a 200 amp relay and needs a fluid change. another friend thought it could have been the low temperatures, but I think the truck has performed reasonably well around the 10° F range that it was.

do any of you swap to winter weight hydraulic fluid? here in Iowa, it is -8, hoping my dump trailer will raise up for one small job this afternoon

I generally don't work below 0°, depending on sun and wind, So may not be worth changing effort just to have equipment able to function a few more days in a year, when us operators would rather be wimping out inside anyways :)IMG_20221221_160421_01.jpg

Multi weight hydraulic oils are perfect for these applications and can be used year round.
Only you can justify whether or not it's worth it to change over, but I would definitely go that route over switching back and forth every season. That would get expensive not to mention wasteful....

glacial blue made by Kendall
that's what my bucket system takes and a lot of guys use it for snow plow lifts
if it will run a bucket-boom system it will work for a dump cly
personally, I have a JD 110 TLB and save the oil from the hydraulic system when I change it to use for the hoist in my triaxle

I ran Tri-Axle Dumps 74,000 lbs. gross for years in all weather conditions go with Shell Rotella HD 20 Weight non foaming hydraulic oil. Tractor Supply probably has the best price on 5 gallon pails. Also Shell Rotella HD 20 makes Case Backhoes Hy-Tran Oil

Back