Winter wood processing gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Im in Michigan so it gets cold here to say the least. I am the kind of guy that HATES wearing gloves unless it’s absolutely necessary. i do not like the loss of dexterity you get with gloves. Drives me crazy. Obviously in the winter it is cold so glove are required. I frequently wear “Mechanix Gloves” as they are tight fitting and i find it easy to split wood with my axe while wearing them.

BUT, when everything is covered in snow my fingers don’t last long. They end up with the gloves off and stuck in my armpits to re-warm from being wet. I can make it a few hours like this then have to call it quits. The other thing is the mechanix gloves wear out fast, to fast for the price. I also have a pair of very nice but also very thick winter gloves. I CAN NOT safely swing my axe in these.

Im just trying to find a good compromise that gives me dexterity/warmth and a reasonable amount of water resistance and wont break the bank.

Any suggestions?

My soar hands will greatly appreciate you advice. They get worse every year. Years of welding and overheating them have made my hands more sensitive to the cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wpid-20141118_124553.jpg

wpid-20141118_124647.jpg

I hate cold hands , I have several pair of the wool liners and plenty of trigger and regular mittens .
If it's wet I'll use my log tongs or pickaroon as much as possible .
Sometimes I'll wear some coated gloves when needed like this style

99cd2d51-be2f-498d-a0c7-23fe6d122696.jpg

Cold hands suck .

I''ve found leather gloves self-destruct with even the hint of wetness in the wood I'm handling. These ones on the left work best for me down to about 20°, the ones on the right below 20° down to about 5° - then I go inside and reap the benefit of all my work on other days by sitting next to a fire.
IMG_9248.JPG

I also use trigger finger gloves with wool inner liner. You can buy these by the 12 pack on sportsmen guide. They never have an issue when wet and have always kept my hands toasty down to 10F out.
fa10f1a5aed3e5016d32788168c25007.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“I can make it a few hours like this then have to call it quits. “

gloves or not i cant go a few hours splitting with an axe. maybe a few minutes.

i wear black nitrile 4 or 6 mil always then either insul leather of dipped fabric depend on temp. The nitrile also really helps if you have to take your gloves off to keep from direct contact on cold tools or the cold air across blood vessels in my hands. but I have very poor circulation due to freezing fingers and toes so many times as a kid

I just use regular leather ones until it gets too cold, then I use the cheapo insulated leather ones from Menards. I think they're 7 or 8 bucks. I go through 3 or 4 pair every year, but seem to last just about as long as the more expensive Carhartt ones that cost twice as much.

I usually wind up with brown jersey gloves in yellow chore gloves. Keep a extra pair warm in my coverall pockets. Rotate as needed. They aren't for sheot splitting though! That's leather or dipped territory.

I used kinco frost breakers last year after someone recommended them on here. They aren't a year long glove but they worked well. Bought another 6 pair this week for the winter.

+1 on the Kinco gloves

I use these all winter for all firewood tasks.

https://www.kinco.com/product/2051

The dexterity is good, no problems gripping wood splits, saws, or larger tools. They are waterproof and not having wet hands when working with wet or snow covered wood is half the battle when trying to keep hands warm. These gloves have about the best life I've come across for holding up to the wear created by handling splits and chunks, whether splitting or loading and unloading.

Take Care

I used kinco frost breakers last year after someone recommended them on here. They aren't a year long glove but they worked well. Bought another 6 pair this week for the winter.
I love the frost breakers, especially brand new. They don't last long at all though splitting wood, I can wear them out in a day. For scooping/moving snow though they're great. For splitting/handling wood I use the kinco warm grip gloves. The material they're dipped in is kind of wavy or textured and it holds up. I still go through multiple pairs but they're well under $10 so no complaints there. Those who have said to wear an exam type glove underneath a pair of mechanix or light nitrile dipped gloves got it made too. I've done that before as well but once the outside glove gets wet the exam glove does nothing to hold heat in it seems.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

If i get a hole in a finger of my leather gloves , i wrap duct tape around it to get some more life out them

Back