Wolfe ridge 28c first thoughts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We’ll I picked one up last Sunday. It’s a base model so no auto cycle, electric start or bigger cylinder. I wanted the auto cycle and bigger cylinder but I’m impatient and took what they had on hand.

So yesterday I split for about an hour and a half or so. I did buy the 6-way wedge as well and I only tried it a few times. The rest of the time I used the 4 way. The log lift is just awesome! You can load it up as much as possible with heavy green oak and it dosent even know there’s any weight on it. The machine is super stable even with the log lift loaded up fully. If your not careful with the control though you can almost launch a log at you. One time I surprised the crap outta myself with a decent sized round.

I didn’t realize the adjustable part of the wedge was gonna be as big a deal as it is. It really makes a huge difference. I did bend the pin that locks the wedge into place. I have to contact Wolfe ridge about that. It was probably a fluke that it happened and I honestly have no idea how or when it happened. I just saw the pin on the ground.

I don’t think the lack of auto cycle really matters at this point as once the table is loaded up I’m just working off of the table so it’s not like I’m walking away from the machine. I would like the bigger cylinder for the faster 2 seconds.

the table is great it’s huge and everything is laid out well. I think I had 2 pieces of wood that fell and I had to pick up. I’m a one man band here so I’m saving a ton of labor with this thing. I parked my lawn cart at the edge of the table and when it was full I drove it to the pile, stacked it up and did it all over again. Never having to pick anything up from the ground saving a bunch of labor.

I’ve been doing this a long time and this is def a game changer. yes it’s pretty expensive but so far it’s an awesome machine. Hopefully I can get more time on it before winter really hits.

Did you get this through a dealer or did you order direct? I was looking at these last year and talked to a dealer but everything was months out. They seem like quality machines, keep us updated on long term use.
As far as auto cycle, imo you’re not missing much. It can be a handy feature but the prince auto cycle valves can be finicky when the oil gets hot. I’d be fine replacing mine with a regular auto return valve if it ever goes.

We’ll I picked one up last Sunday. It’s a base model so no auto cycle, electric start or bigger cylinder. I wanted the auto cycle and bigger cylinder but I’m impatient and took what they had on hand.

So yesterday I split for about an hour and a half or so. I did buy the 6-way wedge as well and I only tried it a few times. The rest of the time I used the 4 way. The log lift is just awesome! You can load it up as much as possible with heavy green oak and it dosent even know there’s any weight on it. The machine is super stable even with the log lift loaded up fully. If your not careful with the control though you can almost launch a log at you. One time I surprised the crap outta myself with a decent sized round.

I didn’t realize the adjustable part of the wedge was gonna be as big a deal as it is. It really makes a huge difference. I did bend the pin that locks the wedge into place. I have to contact Wolfe ridge about that. It was probably a fluke that it happened and I honestly have no idea how or when it happened. I just saw the pin on the ground.

I don’t think the lack of auto cycle really matters at this point as once the table is loaded up I’m just working off of the table so it’s not like I’m walking away from the machine. I would like the bigger cylinder for the faster 2 seconds.

the table is great it’s huge and everything is laid out well. I think I had 2 pieces of wood that fell and I had to pick up. I’m a one man band here so I’m saving a ton of labor with this thing. I parked my lawn cart at the edge of the table and when it was full I drove it to the pile, stacked it up and did it all over again. Never having to pick anything up from the ground saving a bunch of labor.

I’ve been doing this a long time and this is def a game changer. yes it’s pretty expensive but so far it’s an awesome machine. Hopefully I can get more time on it before winter really hits.
Those pins bend all the time on mine too.

husky455rancher. Nice looking splitter. I could never get by on my firewood processor with the multi wedge pinned to the cylinder. It would either bend the pin or break the cylinder mount. I finally had to redo the mount so it could float some. I do like a big shaft cylinder for quick return but the auto cycle valve could live with out. You always have to be adjusting them.

Did you get this through a dealer or did you order direct? I was looking at these last year and talked to a dealer but everything was months out. They seem like quality machines, keep us updated on long term use.
As far as auto cycle, imo you’re not missing much. It can be a handy feature but the prince auto cycle valves can be finicky when the oil gets hot. I’d be fine replacing mine with a regular auto return valve if it ever goes.

I got it from a dealer.

@husky455rancher I have 70 maybe 80 hours on mine now. I have had issues with that pin as well, I ended up sticking a bolt with a lock nut in there and have never had an issue since. Yes it's slower to change than a pin but I don't have to worry about loosing it.
Also something to consider for anyone with a splitter is a stroke limiter, I cut all my wood in the 16-18 inch range so I have no need for a 24 inch stroke.

@husky455rancher I have 70 maybe 80 hours on mine now. I have had issues with that pin as well, I ended up sticking a bolt with a lock nut in there and have never had an issue since. Yes it's slower to change than a pin but I don't have to worry about loosing it.
Also something to consider for anyone with a splitter is a stroke limiter, I cut all my wood in the 16-18 inch range so I have no need for a 24 inch stroke.
What do you use for a limiter? I would def cut the stroke down some to speed things up.

Back