Wondering the approximate value of some antique saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumptastic

Slut for saws
Reaction score
They are definitely in need of a bath after sitting in a shed for probably about as long as I’ve been alive. They were my grandpa’s saw from when he logged just wondering if what the possible value would be. I’m sure someone collects dinosaurs like them. They all turn over but I doubt have been started in 40+years gonna take a gallon or two of degreaser to them and clean them up s4D7414D1-B576-4E29-83FC-307ED1835DDB.jpeg

There are individual threads for each of the brands you have shown in this picture. You'd attract more attention if you took the time to list the models in the picture, and of course, show more pictures, but others will tell you that soon.....

Value and worth are highly variable. There are going to be some experts coming along soon enough. And for sure, there will be a few who think they are, and will argue with the others.

Alot -of money, to one man is not alot to another.

In my eyes. If I were want too keep them, then they are priceless. If I wanted to send them to a new owner, then, maybe a good meal could be had.

What the market will bear. And as such- cleaning it up is time you wont get back in currency.

Good luck, I'm curious to see the identified and argued about in the coming replies.

Collecting is one thing, fixing them to run is another, is it worth the time and money involved. Lot better safer options if you need one to actually use. Clean them and display like most antiques. They make awesome man cave displays.

They are definitely in need of a bath after sitting in a shed for probably about as long as I’ve been alive. They were my grandpa’s saw from when he logged just wondering if what the possible value would be. I’m sure someone collects dinosaurs like them. They all turn over but I doubt have been started in 40+years gonna take a gallon or two of degreaser to them and clean them up sView attachment 1077657

When you get time take some 4 sided pictures of each one, I'd like to see what they are. I'm curious, my collection is still growing. As far as price in your original question. I've seen on flea bay anywhere from 60 up. To a serious collector that doesn't have one or need parts to complete one, the skies the limit.

Collecting is one thing, fixing them to run is another, is it worth the time and money involved. Lot better safer options if you need one to actually use. Clean them and display like most antiques. They make awesome man cave displays.
I don’t necessarily intend to make them run but if they have compression the rest isn’t rocket silence to figure out. At least at that point I can let anyone who may take it know what the issues are before they get it. After sitting 40+ years I’m sure not a single one of the carbs are working and at the very least will probably need rebuilding all the rubber hoses are sure to be hard as a rock. So no point to wonder about that yet. Obviously they hold far more value running but that’s not really what I’m worried about. If they have compression or not is really the only thing that matters at the moment if any of them have
There are individual threads for each of the brands you have shown in this picture. You'd attract more attention if you took the time to list the models in the picture, and of course, show more pictures, but others will tell you that soon.....

Value and worth are highly variable. There are going to be some experts coming along soon enough. And for sure, there will be a few who think they are, and will argue with the others.

Alot -of money, to one man is not alot to another.

In my eyes. If I were want too keep them, then they are priceless. If I wanted to send them to a new owner, then, maybe a good meal could be had.

What the market will bear. And as such- cleaning it up is time you wont get back in currency.

Good luck, I'm curious to see the identified and argued about in the coming replies.
i just want to clean them up a little so they aren’t such a mess and assess what’s going on with each one obviously anything rubber is useless carbs unless there’s some sort of miracle are going to at least need gone threw if not replaced who knows but sitting that long I’d be surprised if they had spark. If they all have good comprehension I’d be happy. I personally don’t intend to keep them as a collection and doubt anyone who would has the intention to actually cut wood with them so running isn’t a huge concern of mine but I’d like to at least be able to let someone know what they might/do need

I just sent a PM, I am betting another member will follow :ices_rofl:
I cut wood daily with vintage saws so yes some of us do use them. We might be a "odd bunch" but the old saws still cut well. I sent you a PM Monday on them.

Bill
Be careful what you wish for Lump, some people here dont have a whole bunch of integrity. @Lumptastic

I cut wood daily with vintage saws so yes some of us do use them. We might be a "odd bunch" but the old saws still cut well. I sent you a PM Monday on them.

Bill
Bill is spot-on. I recently went with a Buddy, at his urging, to a local farmers place. Rural Ontario...CA.

This man had every John Deere tractor, lined in rows, in a dedicated building the size of a hangar. EACH was showroom fresh, and in perfect working order.......

The work benches were covered in his next collection....McCulloch Chain Saws. Old ANYTHING has value....

Ok so the mini Mac has good compression but no spark. The larger Mac is a 1-41 not sure what the cause is but the rope won’t pull. On all of them the chain is pretty well rusted to the bars but not sure if it could be the clutch/chain keeping the 1-41 from moving or it’s motor froze up. The homelight is a 2100 you can see in that first picture the rope is all the way out and won’t retract. I’ll mess with that one a little to see if the engine is free or not. Still haven’t determined what the smaller red one is. Haven’t even touched it yet. All of them are complete and no cracks or chips in anything. I’ll get some more pictures of them but that’s what I know

Certain big Homelite's and Big Mac bring good money to the right folks collecting.

Cant tell what yours are myself. I just find them for folks.

View attachment 1077960
The homelight is a 2100 the larger Mac is a 1-41 both are gonna need a little tlc the Mac seems to be locked up. The homelight pull cord came out but isn’t retracting. So far the mini Mac seems to be the closest to running. It has good compression no spark.

The homelight is a 2100 the larger Mac is a 1-41 both are gonna need a little tlc the Mac seems to be locked up. The homelight pull cord came out but isn’t retracting. So far the mini Mac seems to be the closest to running. It has good compression no spark.
2100 bring gooooooood money. No clue on the mac.

https://www.acresinternet.com/cscc....05edb28fbea6f055882570ab000891f0?OpenDocument
https://www.acresinternet.com/cscc....29f7cc7d4279fc0988256c260014ff02?OpenDocument
https://www.acresinternet.com/cscc....bc27348ee2c9826788256b000069ffae?OpenDocument

Bill is spot-on. I recently went with a Buddy, at his urging, to a local farmers place. Rural Ontario...CA.

This man had every John Deere tractor, lined in rows, in a dedicated building the size of a hangar. EACH was showroom fresh, and in perfect working order.......

The work benches were covered in his next collection....McCulloch Chain Saws. Old ANYTHING has value....
On a side note about a different Ontario, CA ohhhhhh what could have been...........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Motor_Speedway

I fully agree some have no clue about saws old or new but choose to puff out their chests online thinking they do.
You special warrior you........ Here is an offer to the OP or anyone else. I know enough about saws to do my homework. The result is, I can provide plenty of facts. The evidence is clear and indisputable, tighter than a locked cell door, and I'be happy to give you those references in a PM, so you can decide for your ownself.

You special warrior you........ Here is an offer to the OP or anyone else. I know enough about saws to do my homework. The result is, I can provide plenty of facts. The evidence is clear and indisputable, tighter than a locked cell door, and I'be happy to give you those references in a PM, so you can decide for your ownself.
This is a chat about saws so share your great wealth of vintage saws. Which piston are you guessing is in the 2100?

This is a friendly post to the OP, who may have glossed over the suggestions at the top made by the forum owners. Cut and pasted from the top of the page.

You are buying at your own risk. If you do not know the seller then please be cautious and look for suspicious activity

This is a chat about saws so share your great wealth of vintage saws. Which piston are you guessing us in the 2100?

I'm guessing a Clapped out OEM, possibly the original.

Latest posts

Back