Wood Burner Survey...We Need You!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, getting there! 2 more cords. As you can see, my half rounds vary in size...so in the survey I chose half rounds as favored wood shape. I can get about 80lb of larch, 18% mc in the firebox and reduce over all surface area by using large half rounds extend burn times. Critical to data needed for test methods.
. 20200709_135810.jpg

Well, getting there! 2 more cords. As you can see, my half rounds vary in size...so in the survey I chose half rounds as favored wood shape. I can get about 80lb of larch, 18% mc in the firebox and reduce over all surface area by using large half rounds extend burn times. Critical to data needed for test methods.
. View attachment 843472

The 1/4, 1/2, Full Round, was one of the questions that I really couldn't answer, because the size of our wood varies so much. Sometimes even with the same tree, when cutting a 30"+ Douglas Fir, at the butt end quarter rounds are getting quartered, and 6" rounds are getting halved. I like to split almost everything at least once, so it seasons better. Halving 4-6" rounds, gives some nice small stuff that is handy for lighting a cold stove, or waking up a low fire. With the large rounds we often cut, we get plenty of Railroad Tie square splits, for over night burns.

I appreciate the effort, but so much of the survey, just wasn't answerable, for many of the questions, the answer was "ALL of the Above, and MORE"

Doug :cheers:

The 1/4, 1/2, Full Round, was one of the questions that I really couldn't answer, because the size of our wood varies so much. Sometimes even with the same tree, when cutting a 30"+ Douglas Fir, at the butt end quarter rounds are getting quartered, and 6" rounds are getting halved. I like to split almost everything at least once, so it seasons better. Halving 4-6" rounds, gives some nice small stuff that is handy for lighting a cold stove, or waking up a low fire. With the large rounds we often cut, we get plenty of Railroad Tie square splits, for over night burns.

I appreciate the effort, but so much of the survey, just wasn't answerable, for many of the questions, the answer was "ALL of the Above, and MORE"

Doug :cheers:
Thank you for trying. The goal is present data to regulators that either supports various parameters or nullifies them. When you participate in a meeting and a party claims "most people buy their wood" or "very few check moisture content" or "no one burn full size rounds", "people burn on high 75% of the time", you either have data to challenge assertions....and with no data, you're best to remain silent. The agency is, in their words, "DATA DRIVEN." Without data, manufacturers will be given a test method predicated on "best guesses". Emissions test results are weighted based upon the same lack of data.

Wood stove owners have a responsibility to burn as clean as possible. What you want as a wood stove owner is a stove designed to work the way it is used in the real world....not just a lab.
Industry appreciates everyone that helps us get that data!

Completed it this evening.
Will you be giving us a quick summary of the overall results? (after you've presented it to the regulators, of course)

Edit:
Nevermind, I just went back and read again that the data will be public...:dumb2:
I'm curious to see where my answers fall amongst the average.

Completed it this evening.
Will you be giving us a quick summary of the overall results? (after you've presented it to the regulators, of course)

Edit:
Nevermind, I just went back and read again that the data will be public...:dumb2:
I'm curious to see where my answers fall amongst the average.
Thank you!

Hey all you guys and gals....The survey will end on September 15th! So please, if you have not taken the survey yet, please do.

Thank you
Chris
BKVP

Today is the last day to take the Wood User's Survey. Thank you to all those that have participated and had their family and friends participate as well.

We will have some incredible data thanks to all of you!

Chris Neufeld
Vice President
Blaze King Industries, Inc.
a.k.a. BKVP

We have now ended the wood stove users survey. 5 randomly selected winners have been chosen. On behalf of the entire wood stove manufacturers and industry that supports responsible wood burning, thank you!

The winners are:

Jeff ZIP 02822

Holly ZIP 10941

Tom ZIP 01887

Ann ZIP 99709

Peter ZIP 55008

Thank you. Just a heads up, we have formed an expert panel of 10 individuals to review the data. This includes labs, manufacturers and representatives of our trade association. The data is impressive. We expect (hope) to write an executive summary of the data and present to parties of interest. Once this is completed 3-4 months hopefully) the data will become public.

Most importantly, thank everyone for their participation. Future data research can now be refined based upon this initial data acquisition.

You all deserve a shot....and once I get traveling again, I'll post some locations for a wood burner rendezvous or two!

My wood burner is a twenty-one-year-old Waterford Ashling wood stove, imported from Ireland. I bought it used locally when previous owners went to a pellet stove. I've heated my house with it and free wooden pallets I collect and cut myself for several years.

Back