Wood ID help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevensandeights

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently worked out a deal with a local tree service to drop wood at my place. Got 4 beautiful loads of ash and then a load of sycamore (the worst splitting wood in the history of the world IMO!). Told him I really only wanted true hardwoods and there would be no hard feelings if he couldn't accommodate that request since I know he has a business to run. Getting mostly ash with some cherry and maple (hard and soft).

The last load had some of this in it:
View attachment IMG_20200620_204300236.jpg
img_20200620_204300236-jpg.837377

View attachment IMG_20200620_204412585.jpg

Bark looks like pine but obviously it's not. Dark heart wood. Smells like manure when freshly cut. Splits relatively easily (on a SuperSplit).
I think I have an idea but am looking for confirmation.
img_20200620_204412585-jpg.837376

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_204412585.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 29
I was thinking dogwood. Everything matches except compound leaves vs. alternate.

Looked at images online and Tupelo seems to have a waxy/shiny leaf. Buckeye leaves appear to have more veins per in each leaf. Going by Google image search only - I have no real world experience with either.

Did those leaves all come out of one place, like a buckeye would? Like this? Buckeye leaf

I also thought I saw 5 leaves, which would be right for buckeye. Dogwood does not have a smell, but Ohio buckeye( Aesculus glabra) definitely does! It's also known as fetid buckeye...

However, both dogwood and buckeye have opposite branching...

Ok, it's not buckeye.

I'm now going to lean toward tupelo. (Nyssa sylvatica ). Also known as black gum, or just gum. However, you said it was easy to split, and that sure is not what black gum is. In fact, it's one of the hardest woods there is to split. I thought elm was bad until I got a few pieces of black gum. :surprised3:

So, at this point I'm stumped. Anyone else want to give this ID a try? :cheers:

It is definitely NOT ash.

Everything I've read about gum trees is about how hard they are to split. This wood was easy and not stringy. My pic is a close-up. In person, the seed pods don't look like those in that link (those are more like berries).

Any thoughts about the manure smell of a fresh cut? Also a lack of grain in splits compared oak/ash/maple.

I don't have much of this but I'm debating about if I should mix it in with the ash/maple/cherry in my for sale stacks.

It is definitely NOT ash.

Everything I've read about gum trees is about how hard they are to split. This wood was easy and not stringy. My pic is a close-up. In person, the seed pods don't look like those in that link (those are more like berries).

Any thoughts about the manure smell of a fresh cut? Also a lack of grain in splits compared oak/ash/maple.

I don't have much of this but I'm debating about if I should mix it in with the ash/maple/cherry in my for sale stacks.
Yes, Sweetgum is hard to split. Have you tried burning any yet? If it stinks when stacked or burned, I would not include it.

Northwest Pennsylvania, ok, but is there a chance that it may be some sort of onamental, not native, species? Was it in a yard or along a street or in a park? Oh, right, dropped off by a tree service so you have no idea where it came from, but a tree service could well be working in all of those places. I think we need to be thinking of things we don't see growing on trees around there.

Latest posts

Back