Wood ID help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manure smell I have experienced with Hickory and Oak, but it doesn't look like them.
Someone mentioned Ash having a little "pinhole" on the cut side and that is true, I have also seen that with Hickory.
Someone also thought Buckeye but then it was ruled out, why is that? I looked in the National Audubon Field Guide to trees and it looked like it might match?
I still don't know what it is, is it heavy or light or medium weight?

Manure smell I have experienced with Hickory and Oak, but it doesn't look like them.
Someone mentioned Ash having a little "pinhole" on the cut side and that is true, I have also seen that with Hickory.
Someone also thought Buckeye but then it was ruled out, why is that? I looked in the National Audubon Field Guide to trees and it looked like it might match?
I still don't know what it is, is it heavy or light or medium weight?

The OP said the leaves/branching was alternate, and buckeye (Aesculus glabra) is opposite. I agree that everything else looks similar to buckeye. However, the closeup of the leaves show that they do not all come out of one place, as a buckeye would.

However, here's a pic of black gum bark. https://etc.usf.edu/clippix/picture/black-tupelo-bark.html

And the 'seeds' that I mentioned earlier were probably surrounded by the flesh of a berry.

So, I'm still going with Black gum, Tupelo or black tupelo (Nyssa sylvatica) . Whatever it's called in your area. Even though it split easily... :surprised3: :cheers:

If it split easily, there is no way it’s Tupelo. That’s the worst splitting g wood I’ve ever encountered

Ok, it's not buckeye.

I'm now going to lean toward tupelo. (Nyssa sylvatica ). Also known as black gum, or just gum. However, you said it was easy to split, and that sure is not what black gum is. In fact, it's one of the hardest woods there is to split. I thought elm was bad until I got a few pieces of black gum. :surprised3:

So, at this point I'm stumped. Anyone else want to give this ID a try? :cheers:
Leaf looks close for Black Gum (Black Tupelo), but the bark is wrong.
His bark looks like Cherry, but it's not a Cherry tree.

I was thinking dogwood. Everything matches except compound leaves vs. alternate.

Looked at images online and Tupelo seems to have a waxy/shiny leaf. Buckeye leaves appear to have more veins per in each leaf. Going by Google image search only - I have no real world experience with either.
But those shown are not compound leaves (with leaflets), rather they are leaf stalks all coming from one end of the stem.
There are only simple leaves or compound leaves.
Both leaf stalks can be opposite or alternate from main stem or in the case of compound leaves, the leaflets can also be opposite or compound.
Its sounds confusing be it really isn't.
uh166_ftw10hardwoods_simplevcompound5ef46b517b33e.png

Back