Wood like some input on optimum b/c & sprocket setup for a 20" bar on a powerhead only, carb--modded ms 310) to fell and buck 18 to 24" oaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigstick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have a 251 wood boss that I have been accompishing with so far (only 1 year logged in at this). So...2nd season and I want an upgrade saw. A ms 310 powerhead-only fell in my lap and I want 20" for now...i will upgrade again when I get another deal. I plan on RM chain because it is dirty wood and I am only doing a few trees a year.
I read tons of discussion on this as many of you are aware....but I wanted to see how many would switch it to .325 chain with that size bar and workload for this particular saw. The only time I am using it will be in 18"+ wood (I can use the smaller 251 for the rest). Let's say you already had both sprockets/rims (3/8 & .325) but needed to purchase the b/c. Carb will be modified according to the helpful suggestions on this site. This is a 59cc, 4 HP older engine but is supposed to operate normally. Thanks.

Have a 251 wood boss that I have been accompishing with so far (only 1 year logged in at this). So...2nd season and I want an upgrade saw. A ms 310 powerhead-only fell in my lap and I want 20" for now...i will upgrade again when I get another deal. I plan on RM chain because it is dirty wood and I am only doing a few trees a year.
I read tons of discussion on this as many of you are aware....but I wanted to see how many would switch it to .325 chain with that size bar and workload for this particular saw. The only time I am using it will be in 18"+ wood (I can use the smaller 251 for the rest). Let's say you already had both sprockets/rims (3/8 & .325) but needed to purchase the b/c. Carb will be modified according to the helpful suggestions on this site. This is a 59cc, 4 HP older engine but is supposed to operate normally. Thanks.
I promise to never use homophones again.

I promise to never use homophones again.

I ran an MS310 for years cutting firewood. I would haul a 20" bar just fine in Black Locust and do okay with a 24" bar in the locust. Just gave it to a buddy still running but down on compression. He like it. I bought it new way back about a few years after they first came out.

I ran an MS310 for years cutting firewood. I would haul a 20" bar just fine in Black Locust and do okay with a 24" bar in the locust. Just gave it to a buddy still running but down on compression. He like it. I bought it new way back about a few years after they first came out.
One vote for 3/8...Thank You turnkey4099!

Thanks guys....unanimous so far...and I am starting to think that this particular choice may be splitting hairs even if there are views going towards the other choice.

If it will pull 3/8” chain over .325” chain the 3/8” has a longer too so it lasts longer. On my bigger cc saws I use 404” over 3/8”. My little 240sg husky sat idle I used the husky 2100 and 266 most of the time unless I cut tops.

Logging firewood one winter season I go through two to three 3/8” chains in smaller cc saw and one 404” chain in the bigger cc saw providing I don’t hit rocks or steel in the wood.

skip chain helps this series of saw a ton running 20" setups
Personally I would opt to put a 390 cylinder on it with a pop up piston and use stihl rings, that setup will pull 3/8 20" np's and makes a .325 20" setup cut really great.

Back