Wood splitter hydraulic tools.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• IMG_0522-3.jpg
    IMG_0522-3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Oh my... never seen anything like that before. Is it threaded down into there, or ?? I would try to get a pair of needle nose pliers in there... might be able to get it out if it's not too tight.

Another option would be a 12 point socket if it's threaded into the port and tight... might have to grind it down to fit down into there. Or call TB and order the proper tool.

After that, if it continues to be a problem, I would fabricate a new dipstick for sure.

Yes. There is a dipstick on the end of the bolt, the dipstick and bolt are one-piece. The boss around the bolt is apparently to protect the dipstick unit from damage. Not exactly sure how old it is, I bought it new from Home Depot at least 15 years ago. I use it every year for firewood. This is the first time I have had any problems. The Briggs and Stratton 7HP motor has been acting up for the first time. It has always started easily and run well until now. It lives in the woodshed, I pull it out and split from the tailgate of my camper -covered pickup. IMG_0363.jpegFirewood in truck.jpg

Yes. There is a dipstick on the end of the bolt, the dipstick and bolt are one-piece. The boss around the bolt is apparently to protect the dipstick unit from damage. Not exactly sure how old it is, I bought it new from Home Depot at least 15 years ago. I use it every year for firewood. This is the first time I have had any problems. The Briggs and Stratton 7HP motor has been acting up for the first time. It has always started easily and run well until now. It lives in the woodshed, I pull it out and split from the tailgate of my camper -covered pickup. View attachment 1052842View attachment 1052843
The nut should be sticking out of the top of the boss. Here's an online pic of what I think it should look like.
1674990767177.png

I would try some needle nose vise grips on it and try to unscrew it out. The plug, dip stick might have not been a true NPT and it screw it self into the fitting over time when the splitter was running. I have seen a lot of them with a pipe plug with a dipstick welded to it.

Farmer Steve and rancher2, The splitter seems to be about the same vintage, could be that the dipstick and bolt , which is one piece, has gone down too far. I'll have to do some more approaches. Thanks for the input!
Beena few years since I had my TB but if I recall when you screwed the dipstick in it would only go so far and then tighten up. Pretty sure you couldn't screw it to far like in you pic.

I got it! It was most likely vibrated down as rancher2 said. It was not tight at all until it got up to the point where the photo showed the dipstick sitting, so needle nose pliers would turn it until it got up toward the top. It will look like the photo when I put it back. Thanks again.
Glad you got it out. 👍

I got it! It was most likely vibrated down as rancher2 said. It was not tight at all until it got up to the point where the photo showed the dipstick sitting, so needle nose pliers would turn it until it got up toward the top. It will look like the photo when I put it back. Thanks again.
Wrap it up good with teflon tape or upset one of the last threads to keep it from running deep in the hole again.

Wrap it up good with teflon tape or upset one of the last threads to keep it from running deep in the hole again.

I guess the OP got it backed out before I could relay that appears to be a pipe plug. Use a 1/2" drive rachet extension, upside down (female end) onto the square head, and use a open end wrench on the male end of the extension to turn it. Lots of small engines use Pipe Plug fittings for Oil sump drains.

Back