wood stove creosote buildup questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kanto area is a 10hr drive from me.... via hiway, with $120 in tolls
shoot I would load up the family in the camper and head your way just for ***** and giggles...I am sure there are some campsites some where along the route. gives me a good excuse to drag the wife and the kids out :)

You've installed the best vent pipe that is on the market or available for venting solid fuel Heating devices. As long as your firewood is relatively dry you should be perfectly fine and have no concerns whatsoever. Pine Burns Excellent and puts off wonderful Heat. It's drawback is that and has poor calling qualities like Oak or Rock maple or Ash.

Woodie :) when you say the best vent pipe are you talking the double walled stainless, or the funny H shaped piece at the top ?

Woodie :) when you say the best vent pipe are you talking the double walled stainless, or the funny H shaped piece at the top ?
Double-walled stainless steel pipe. Due to clearance reasons in the room I have my wood burner. I have double-walled stainless steel pipe running from the top of my stove to the top of my chimney. I have a one-and-a-half story Cape Cod type home with a steep pitch roof. My wood burner is located in the front corner at the lowest portion of the roof requiring me to have a good 20- 30 feet of exposed chimney. I've been burning wood during the heating season 24-7 for more than 15 years. I have no creosote ... virtually none. I can clean my chimney after 2 years of burning and come up with 1/3 a 3-pound can from coffees worth of hardened dried creosote. My brother has the same type chimney enclosed in a chimney Chase and has experienced the same type of situation with very low build up inside. I wouldn't take for granted that this will be your situation but it is definitely what we have experienced. I am not an expert like the bean dicks on this site but those are my experiences with double-walled stainless steel insulated chimney.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Double-walled stainless steel pipe. I wouldn't take for granted that this will be your situation but it is definitely what we have experienced. I am not an expert like the bean dicks on this site but those are my experiences with double-walled stainless steel insulated chimney.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Mine is not the insulated type, just double walled. the double walled with insulation was $400.00 per 30" section it was too rich for my bank account. mine is just double walled and cost 150.00 per 30" section. it is claimed to be immensely better compared to single walled pipe, but not as good at the double walled with the insulation.

I used the double wall due to not having a lot of clearance in the space that houses the chimney pipe. There is actually an internal space that goes up inside the wall between the bathroom and the living room that originally had a 4" oil burner chimney in it that the PO had removed and blocked off at the roof.

it measured basically out at 2.5' x 2' so I just climbed inside it, and lined it with the the fireboard all the way to the roof to make it safer from radiated heat from the chimney flue. originally I was going to cheap out and use single wall but before buying my chimney I read a bunch of articles on line about chimney fires, creosote and other safety issues and everything I read said that if you use a double walled pipe it does not radiate out nearly as much heat into the surrounding structure and it helps to alleviate creosote because the hot gasses move faster through it and do not cool down as much prior to exiting. being that my pipe is indoors except for the last couple of feet that should help too.

Well just finished up with the install fo the chimney..had to wait for the roofer. but its all installed though. will get to try it out for the first time next month :) the chimney pipe looks so small on the roof, but is rises a full 3 feet above the height of the roof so draft should not e an issue. it ended up being a straight shot with the 2 x 90's and the 8" (200 mm) straight run...I can't wait to fire it up. it is already 5 degrees centigrade at fuji. a huge drop in less than 3 weeks.

thats the tree house on the left, and you can barely see my homemade log splitter I built on the upper right of the roof as it sits in the parking area.
new roof 1.jpg

Ok so after running the stove for the last couple of weekends I was surprised at how much wood one goes through :) I might have to readjust my expectations on wood use. this damn softwood burns entirely to fast. No buildup to speak of though so at least it seems I got the chimney right anyways.

Back