Wood stove pipe connection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bran1har

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a bettern n bens stove insert. I am trying to find out if its hooked up right. I pulled the stove out to clean the chimney pipe and noticed the pipe wasn't even screwed into the the stove and the tip of the metal pipe was just bent in and resting in the top of the stove with furnace cement around it. There is no flange sticking up on my stove to even be able to send a few sheet metal screws into the stove pipe. Am I missing a piece here somewhere? Also I wanted to install a damper which there are two holes for in that opening, but it seems if I were to put one in there it would hit the stove pipe that goes in the opening.

I feel like I am missing a peice or a flange or something, but its so old that there is not manual. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1583.JPG
    IMG_1583.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1584.JPG
    IMG_1584.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1585.JPG
    IMG_1585.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1586.JPG
    IMG_1586.JPG
  • IMG_1587.JPG
    IMG_1587.JPG
  • IMG_1588.JPG
    IMG_1588.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
If I'm not mistaken these stoves are called slammers - they are pushed into a fireplace and use the fireplace flue for venting without connecting a pipe to the outlet on the top of the stove. If you Google "slammer wood stove" there's quite a lot of information - mostly that these stoves are no longer acceptable by most building codes. Without the vent the stove may produce large quantities of creosote - some which may fall and accumulate on the top of the stove. With a vent the creosote problem might be improved since falling pieces will not accumulate and catch fire. I'd do some checking to see what the building code requires. The photos show it's a Better than Ben's - is there a model number on it that you can try to search for installation instructions online? Hope this helps. I had a friend that had one of these stoves years ago and he had some pretty severe creosote issues with it.

Its hard to tell from your pics but there appears to be a stainless liner, connected to a short piece of black stovepipe which (you stated) was sitting close to your stove output??? As Greenie stated above these "slammers" were sometimes not even hooked up to ANY liner! Which is a big NO NO. I'm seeing a liner but it should be connected to the stove by a stainless appliance connector and a metal strap holding it fast to the output is a standard method to keep it all together when you slide it into the opening. The other question I have is ....is this a "full" liner (to the chimney top) or a "direct connect" (6' piece of pipe stuffed up into the flue to get it past the smoke chamber and damper door). Direct connect is legal in the US but not in Canada.

Its hard to tell from your pics but there appears to be a stainless liner, connected to a short piece of black stovepipe which (you stated) was sitting close to your stove output??? As Greenie stated above these "slammers" were sometimes not even hooked up to ANY liner! Which is a big NO NO. I'm seeing a liner but it should be connected to the stove by a stainless appliance connector and a metal strap holding it fast to the output is a standard method to keep it all together when you slide it into the opening. The other question I have is ....is this a "full" liner (to the chimney top) or a "direct connect" (6' piece of pipe stuffed up into the flue to get it past the smoke chamber and damper door). Direct connect is legal in the US but not in Canada.
Its all connected now, It has just that short run of liner runnning inside the insert housing, from there it changes to tripple wall pipe all the way to the roof. I also added a damper where it is supposed to go right at the base of the outlet of this stove. Been running real nice for a few weeks now with no issues. I'd actually like to replace it at somepoint with the same model, this one is just all warped on the top, someone overfired it at some point long ago.

Stoves should have some sort of flange to insert the pipe into, and the pipe secured with a couple screws. Not just stick the pipe through the stove.......
Ya, being it was a slammer style stove, it was just that, I made my own flange out of a 6in pipe, as the opening was about 7in wide. Furnace cemented the joint to make it sealed.

Latest posts

Back