Working Husqvarna 61 Rancher White Top

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRHelgeson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an old 1980’s Husqvarna 61 Rancher that works flawlessly. It starts on the first pull and runs strong. I have a supply of chains and I’ve been using it to clear trees off my property.

Being that I’m using this actively, I wanted to get spare parts for it for if/when it breaks down. (I’ve already learned that chains are difficult to find.)

Anyhow, in searching for parts, I came to realize how old this saw is, and that there is a collector market for these that might find it upsetting that I’m using this as my “daily driver” and I’ve got at least 20 more trees to clear.

Is there a forum for trading saws here? I’d be happy to swap for something newer and get this saw into the hands of someone who might appreciate it more.

I’m obviously new here so please forgive me if this is the wrong forum.
32BCC6EE-44BF-42D3-BEE6-A2B32FA2E13C.jpeg6D702B05-0DCA-430A-A46B-8658C615FA03.jpeg920B7515-8ED0-4AE5-9071-B3B419FB8A62.jpeg1E59AE24-022F-40A7-BBFE-6CD53CA1436B.jpeg

Since it's a good running saw, I would keep it and use it. Why risk trading for something that might have problems. Chains shouldn't be a problem. It uses a large mount husky bar (Oregon D009).
Thanks for the advice, and thank you for the chain bar info, that was actually a question I had. The chain I use now is .059”, the D009 is a .050”, does that matter? I just noticed that the bar I have is the D009, am I using the wrong chain?

Thanks for the advice, and thank you for the chain bar info, that was actually a question I had. The chain I use now is .059”, the D009 is a .050”, does that matter? I just noticed that the bar I have is the D009, am I using the wrong chain?
Not all d009 bars are .050 most likely they will be either .050 or .058 gauge.

.058 in both 3/8 and .325 should be easy enough to find at any dealer just need the right drive link count.

I bought mine fairly cheap at a flea market but it needed several parts. I had no trouble finding the parts on ebay at good prices. Thankfully this one had a good, original equipment piston and cylinder, just needed small parts like throttle linkage, etc..

I wasn't aware that the 61 was a collector saw. I have a white top one just like yours but haven't been using it since I got a rebuilt 359 that I like better..
I don’t know if the 61 is a collector saw or not. All I can say is when I started looking for parts I saw a handful of posts of people rebuilding these vintage saws and posting with obvious pride. I worried I might be committing a sin (in their world) by continuing to use this 1978-83 model to fell trees whilst some enthusiast might look on with scorn because some suburb dweller ‘doesn’t know what he’s got’. But if parts are cheap and plentiful, and I’m not going to be offending any enthusiasts senses by continuing its use, then I shall proceed.

Thank you everyone for your help and feedback.

I don’t know if the 61 is a collector saw or not. All I can say is when I started looking for parts I saw a handful of posts of people rebuilding these vintage saws and posting with obvious pride. I worried I might be committing a sin (in their world) by continuing to use this 1978-83 model to fell trees whilst some enthusiast might look on with scorn because some suburb dweller ‘doesn’t know what he’s got’. But if parts are cheap and plentiful, and I’m not going to be offending any enthusiasts senses by continuing its use, then I shall proceed.

Thank you everyone for your help and feedback.
When I first got my 61 I asked about the same questions you did. I thought maybe the white tops were more valuable than the others and was shot down pretty quickly! I just use mine as I would any other saw now..

Not all d009 bars are .050 most likely they will be either .050 or .058 gauge.

.058 in both 3/8 and .325 should be easy enough to find at any dealer just need the right drive link count.
Might you also know what kind of anti-kickback pawl the 61 would take? The previous owner must’ve removed it to cut deeper and I’d like the safety of having it there.

Thank you all for your advice and feedback.

Joel

Might you also know what kind of anti-kickback pawl the 61 would take? The previous owner must’ve removed it to cut deeper and I’d like the safety of having it there.

Thank you all for your advice and feedback.

Joel
Depends on what chain is on the saw as far as I know only 3/8 low profile chain is anti kickback and it’s different from standard 3/8 chain. Basically if you stay away from the top half of the tip on the bar and a bit past that kickback is not that much of an issue. even with anti kickback chain they can still happen I hit a piece of fence wire in a log a couple months ago with my John Deere 30 that has a older loop of Oregon 91 with bumper links for the 16 inch bar(Oregon safety tip bar too) it was controllable though and I still have all my parts.

I have a 61 white-top that I saved from the dump years ago. I used a starter cover and chain brake from a 272, and don't recall any problems with fitment around the muffler.

I just finished rebuilding it this year, and there are some differences between it and newer huskys:
-air intake, air filter and top cover. Already been covered.

-clutch. The older 61s use a large coarse thread on the clutches, while newer one use a 10mm fine left hand thread. The older style of clutch is getting hard to find, so keep an eye on its condition. To upgrade, you need to change out the crank.

-muffler bolts. Originals used 5mm studs, while later ones are 6mm. I simply drilled out the muffler to get 6mmx90mm bolts to fit.

Latest posts

Back