Working Husqvarna 61 Rancher White Top

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you say anti kick back pawl I think you are reffering to what is called a falling dog .It is a spiked piece that bolts on the saw at the tail of the bar.
Kash
Felling dog is correct. Wondering what kind fits the old 61.

I have a 61 white-top that I saved from the dump years ago. I used a starter cover and chain brake from a 272, and don't recall any problems with fitment around the muffler.

I just finished rebuilding it this year, and there are some differences between it and newer huskys:
-air intake, air filter and top cover. Already been covered.

-clutch. The older 61s use a large coarse thread on the clutches, while newer one use a 10mm fine left hand thread. The older style of clutch is getting hard to find, so keep an eye on its condition. To upgrade, you need to change out the crank.

-muffler bolts. Originals used 5mm studs, while later ones are 6mm. I simply drilled out the muffler to get 6mmx90mm bolts to fit.
The later brake handles are plastic, and the muffler outlet on Some muffler blows exhaust right on plastic handle and will start to melt brake handle, faster if the deflector has fallen off or bend towards handle. Look on the inside of your brake handle and you may see some discolouration or melting of handle.
the newer muffler has exhaust directEd away from handle. But the had about 4 different mufflers for 61, so you could have one that doesn’t blow on handle

61 is a good old saw, but not a collectible. My first saw was a 300th anniversary grey top 61, it's still my usual go-to despite the fact that I have many that should/can/do outperform it. It's still in great shape and gets complements every time anyone sees it. It never ever lets me down. Just cuts wood. I used it yesterday.

I have an old 1980’s Husqvarna 61 Rancher that works flawlessly. It starts on the first pull and runs strong. I have a supply of chains and I’ve been using it to clear trees off my property.

Being that I’m using this actively, I wanted to get spare parts for it for if/when it breaks down. (I’ve already learned that chains are difficult to find.)

Anyhow, in searching for parts, I came to realize how old this saw is, and that there is a collector market for these that might find it upsetting that I’m using this as my “daily driver” and I’ve got at least 20 more trees to clear.

Is there a forum for trading saws here? I’d be happy to swap for something newer and get this saw into the hands of someone who might appreciate it more.

I’m obviously new here so please forgive me if this is the wrong forum.
View attachment 983412View attachment 983413View attachment 983414View attachment 983415

I have an old 1980’s Husqvarna 61 Rancher that works flawlessly. It starts on the first pull and runs strong. I have a supply of chains and I’ve been using it to clear trees off my property.

Being that I’m using this actively, I wanted to get spare parts for it for if/when it breaks down. (I’ve already learned that chains are difficult to find.)

Anyhow, in searching for parts, I came to realize how old this saw is, and that there is a collector market for these that might find it upsetting that I’m using this as my “daily driver” and I’ve got at least 20 more trees to clear.

Is there a forum for trading saws here? I’d be happy to swap for something newer and get this saw into the hands of someone who might appreciate it more.

I’m obviously new here so please forgive me if this is the wrong forum.
View attachment 983412View attachment 983413View attachment 983414View attachment 983415
I got my 61 at a garage sale for $35, ran it for years, but now I can't get it to hold high rev, new carb too. Black top.

I got my 61 at a garage sale for $35, ran it for years, but now I can't get it to hold high rev, new carb too. Black top.
Check the four bolts holding the cyilinder down. If those work loose, then you get a air leak.

You may also want to double check the fit of the gaskets on the intake, and inspect the plastic block between the carb and cyilinder- I have heard those have a tendency to crack.

I don't get where you say that chains are hard to get for this saw. Mine's a 20" bar 3/8 chain like some of my other saws, of course sometimes I cut my own chain lengths..

Just maybe- the guy lives somewhere the 0.058 is NOT a common gauge and all his local small motor workshops have large stocks of 0.050 and 0.063...... but not the chain that fits the bar on his old 61?

Just maybe- the guy lives somewhere the 0.058 is NOT a common gauge and all his local small motor workshops have large stocks of 0.050 and 0.063...... but not the chain that fits the bar on his old 61?
I guess if he lives in town somewhere...You know he could always change the bar over to an 050, that's pretty common, isn't it?

I got this one from a neighbor, a MN State Trooper, who has a 141 that I worked on for him. When it came to settle up, he noticed me eying a Husky 61 Practica he had on a shelf. He said that it was too much saw for him. We arrived at same conclusion simultaneously. The 61 was mine. Parts, including B&C's, were no problem to obtain. The B&C on the saw were toast. So, I got a Windsor Speed Tip 17 inch bar off ebay. Matched 3/8 pitch, 0.058 gauge, 64 DL WoodlandPro chain to it from Bailey's. I also bought an Oregon VersaCut 20 inch bar. Matched 3/8 pitch, 0.050 gauge, 72 DL Oregon 72DPX chain to it. Thanks to member spike60, I just recently obtained a clutch cover with chain brake. Now I have no reservations about using this great saw a lot.

Attachments

• Husky 61_5.JPG
    Husky 61_5.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Husky 61_3.jpg
    Husky 61_3.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Husky 61_4.jpg
    Husky 61_4.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5113.jpg
    IMG_5113.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5115.jpg
    IMG_5115.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5116.jpg
    IMG_5116.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 0
So, I got a Windsor Speed Tip 17 inch bar off ebay. Matched 3/8 pitch, 0.058 gauge, 64 DL WoodlandPro chain to it from Bailey's. I also bought an Oregon VersaCut 20 inch bar. Matched 3/8 pitch, 0.050 gauge, 72 DL Oregon 72DPX chain to it.
Pitch might be matched- but gauge is not.

I got this one from a neighbor, a MN State Trooper, who has a 141 that I worked on for him. When it came to settle up, he noticed me eying a Husky 61 Practica he had on a shelf. He said that it was too much saw for him. We arrived at same conclusion simultaneously. The 61 was mine. Parts, including B&C's, were no problem to obtain. The B&C on the saw were toast. So, I got a Windsor Speed Tip 17 inch bar off ebay. Matched 3/8 pitch, 0.058 gauge, 64 DL WoodlandPro chain to it from Bailey's. I also bought an Oregon VersaCut 20 inch bar. Matched 3/8 pitch, 0.050 gauge, 72 DL Oregon 72DPX chain to it. Thanks to member spike60, I just recently obtained a clutch cover with chain brake. Now I have no reservations about using this great saw a lot.
Idk why but I love saws with the aluminum rod chain brakes.

All 3/8 pitch. Gauge on the 17 inch bar is 0.058. Gauge on the 20 inch bar is 0.050. Matched means chain is matched to a specific bar. Like it's supposed to be. Both set ups work perfectly on the PH.

Ah I see, you have two bars with unmatched gauge- my mistake- carry on. 👍

Check the four bolts holding the cyilinder down. If those work loose, then you get a air leak.

You may also want to double check the fit of the gaskets on the intake, and inspect the plastic block between the carb and cyilinder- I have heard those have a tendency to crack.
This comment saved my bacon yesterday. My saw just quit while idling and wouldn’t start again for nothin’. I cranked down the 4 bolts and dog gone if 3 of them didn’t just tighten down. The saw fired right up. So thank you.

Also about that time I noticed that the saw hadn’t used any bar oil for the ½ tank of gas I’d burned through, and that’s when I learned about the sacrificial gear that drives the oil pump. Now I’ve got those in order and should be felling more trees this weekend.

Thanks again!
Joel

Back