Working Husqvarna 61 Rancher White Top

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 61 white-top that I saved from the dump years ago. I used a starter cover and chain brake from a 272, and don't recall any problems with fitment around the muffler.

I just finished rebuilding it this year, and there are some differences between it and newer huskys:
-air intake, air filter and top cover. Already been covered.

-clutch. The older 61s use a large coarse thread on the clutches, while newer one use a 10mm fine left hand thread. The older style of clutch is getting hard to find, so keep an eye on its condition. To upgrade, you need to change out the crank.

-muffler bolts. Originals used 5mm studs, while later ones are 6mm. I simply drilled out the muffler to get 6mmx90mm bolts to fit.
The oiler worm gear on my 61 got chewed up. Every oiler gear I’ve ordered is too small, the gear teeth don’t even touch the oil pump gear. Are there different sizes of worm gear for that saw?

I converted my white top to a Jonsered 630 top and air filter. Easier access to air filter and better filtration, in my opinion. I did have to rig a home made choke(zip tie), but works great. bought 2 of them for $20 each almost 15 years ago. Carb kit and was good to go. Still going and cut many loads of firewood.

IPL? Individual Parts List? The only list I can find is at https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...turer/husqvarna/chain-saw/61-1984-01/oil-pump

My saw is from earlier than 1984, but that is the first year of the parts diagram that shows the oil pump.
Never mind… today I learned a lesson about keeping your saw away from the job site.
We had a rope up in the tree to pull it down away from the neighbors fence. When the tree started falling, it was going towards my house. I ran with the rope pulling it clear of the house, and it landed directly on my saw.
It landed squarely on the saw body. Drove it directly into the ground, to the point that it was level with Mother Earth. She buried herself.

R.I.P.
1978-2022

Attachments

• 5F018420-FF17-4F14-9472-B8123FEA2B5C.jpeg
    5F018420-FF17-4F14-9472-B8123FEA2B5C.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 7587AC2C-53F5-4ADE-A952-A5D6179D2A41.jpeg
    7587AC2C-53F5-4ADE-A952-A5D6179D2A41.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
Never mind… today I learned a lesson about keeping your saw away from the job site.
We had a rope up in the tree to pull it down away from the neighbors fence. When the tree started falling, it was going towards my house. I ran with the rope pulling it clear of the house, and it landed directly on my saw.
It landed squarely on the saw body. Drove it directly into the ground, to the point that it was level with Mother Earth. She buried herself.

R.I.P.
1978-2022
Always put equipment farther away than the tree is tall.........

R.I.P.
1978-2022
Services will be held at Fred’s saw shop next Tuesday, 10am.
:(

I don’t know if the 61 is a collector saw or not. All I can say is when I started looking for parts I saw a handful of posts of people rebuilding these vintage saws and posting with obvious pride. I worried I might be committing a sin (in their world) by continuing to use this 1978-83 model to fell trees whilst some enthusiast might look on with scorn because some suburb dweller ‘doesn’t know what he’s got’. But if parts are cheap and plentiful, and I’m not going to be offending any enthusiasts senses by continuing its use, then I shall proceed.

Thank you everyone for your help and feedback.
I had a white top for a while and they are great saws. It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks, run it and don't feel guilty about it. It is a tool and tools are made to be used. There are a lot of parts that can be interchanged with the 200 series saws(266,268,272) so parts are still relatively easy to get.

R.I.P.
1978-2022
OUCH!

R.I.P.
1978-2022
Wow, that tree was squared right up with that poor saw. You have my condolences.

I just picked up a white top 61 saw at a decent price. What compression should I be seeing in the old gal. What are the differences in the 61 line? Is this considered a pro saw back in it's day? Everything appears to be metal and not cheaply made plastic. Any feedback on putting a larger piston and cylinder in the 61? I see Hyway and Meteor are selling kits. Also any better efficiency in upgrading the muffler as well?

Attachments

• saw side.jpg
    saw side.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 0
I just picked up a white top 61 saw at a decent price. What compression should I be seeing in the old gal. What are the differences in the 61 line? Is this considered a pro saw back in it's day? Everything appears to be metal and not cheaply made plastic. Any feedback on putting a larger piston and cylinder in the 61? I see Hyway and Meteor are selling kits. Also any better efficiency in upgrading the muffler as well?
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...0c94bcf3d89fd46a88256b520016407f?OpenDocument

Back