Working load of rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berserker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is there a common ratio of working load limit and breaking strength? I see lots of rope advertising only breaking strength. I also see some just saying 3 or 12 strand. Is this common knowledge?

What knots that you would recommend? I have been learning, farmers, bowline, and sheet bend. My use is pulling stuff that is stuck. Side by side and utility sleds. I also want to try guiding trees down.

Thanks.

Is their a type of rope you would recommend for stuff that is stuck? My sled is 655 lbs dry and side by side 1400. One rope would be nice for both, but being compact for sled would be nice too.

For jerking recovery straps are nice. But I am by myself in woods, using winch, come along, or rope puller.

Some sites seem to lack specs. Not sure if this is because they don't want liability or they just don't want to take the time. Maybe it is considered common knowledge to the pros.

What about carbiners in those weight limits? Usually I just use various shackles or D-rings. When I look at sites, they don't have weight limits. Are they just for people? A quick connecting method be nice.

I just ordered the Maasdam rope puller which use 1/2". Ordered with 50'. I could also use some extensions.

Reputable rope manufacturers provide safe working load (SWL) data. If you are using breaking strength you are inviting trouble. Usually and I mean usually as in not always the SWL will be 20% of breaking strength. But you really, really, really need to pay attention to the stretch characteristics of the rope you are using.

Back