Working up a pile of hedge apple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubster

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trees are a mess to work around,hard to bust,heavy,and a plain ol nightmare.But every year I try to get at least 4 good pick up loads of it.Nothing comes close to the heat with maybe the exception of shed dried hickory or white oak,and they don't come close to the burn time of hedge.Just wondering if any of yall fight with the hedge,aka osage orange wood.That hedge is the reason I own a 27 ton splitter.

Bubster I do the osage orange fight a bunch. One the farms I bought about twenty years ago was loaded with it. The man that owned it in the 30's had the WPA guys plant rows and rows of it and no one ever did any thing with it. I burn about 10-15 cord of it a year to heat my shop, house and my domestic water. Its no fun to deal with but it great fire wood. I just threw a load in the Garn this AM so we will have domestic hot water for several days.

Bubster I do the osage orange fight a bunch. One the farms I bought about twenty years ago was loaded with it. The man that owned it in the 30's had the WPA guys plant rows and rows of it and no one ever did any thing with it. I burn about 10-15 cord of it a year to heat my shop, house and my domestic water. Its no fun to deal with but it great fire wood. I just threw a load in the Garn this AM so we will have domestic hot water for several days.
They make some of the longest lasting fence post.I know of a few gate post that are probably 60-70 years old according to the land owners.Just hard to find a straight one.

half dozen years ago, a guy in the midwest was going to saw me a few hundred ft of it. (his offer, his price)
He never did get around to it & now i'm too old to care.
I love having it and black locust on hand for exterior millwork & would like to have more in clear heavy size lumber, if it was close.
One thing i hope to make at some point is a pool cue butt. Osage orange, Texas ebony, or mesquite are about the only domestic woods that are hard, dense, and heavy enough.

Back