worn bar from not enough oil, should I replace the chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gu_42

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've worn the bar out on my ms460 from not running enough oil, the chain that I was running on it only had about 4 tanks of fuel use. Should I replace the chain as well or just get it sharpened?

The bar was worn unevenly and the saw wasn't cutting straight, can damage the chain and therefore damage a new bar?

Inspect the bottom of the chain links that are in rubbing contact with the bar rails, if there is less than half metal below the rivet head as there is above it, it could be at risk of breaking. If the chain has stretched too much compared to a new one, the pitch will have changed but if it still runs smoothly through the sprockets, it is probably still good.

I reckon on any stihl saw with a MS in the model no. always turn the oil up to Max. This includes knocking in the pin on 661 and 462 and (probably, I don't own one) 500. Not always necessary on saws with a 0 as first number.
Second, get a flat file and dress the bar properly and check if the drive links still clear the bottom of the groove. If so, happy days.
If the chain has excess sideways movement close up the rails with a "bar rail closer" (see ebay etc) or do what the pro /old timers do - get the steel rule from a 12 in square ruler, use it as a spacer, lay the bar on something firm, get a hammer and proceed to go "tap, tap, tap" all around until the spacer is firm in the groove.
I just had to do all of the above on a very old 80 dl 404 hard nose that came with a 084 I picked up. Now I prefer that bar to the expensive stihl ES bars I own.

Attachments

• 1623826699728346987691262378979.jpg
    1623826699728346987691262378979.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 11
Back