Worried I Drowned New Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 191093

Reaction score
Hi everyone.. new to the forum and hoping to get some help as i'm a bit worried.

We just did a landscape project in which several trees were planted. They were 50mm caliper trees, so approximately 12 ft in height each. We've had very hot, dry weather here for the past couple weeks - 30-33 celcius - with no rain in sight. I, being very new to caring for trees, was reading a lot of info online to figure out how much water to give a young tree... At this point, I am worried i may have over watered them.

The lower branches have scorched leaves, and when I put a moisture meter in the ground at the root ball i'm getting a reading of 9-10 "wet" so it doesn't seem like under watering is the issue.

I was using the bucket method and for the first few days after planting i did a 5gal bucket in the morning, and another in the evening. I have since stopped watering, cleared out the mulch to allow some evaporation, and the moisture is gradually reducing to 8-9... hoping to get in the "7-8" zone by tomorrow.

How likely is it that I overwatered to the point of the roots starting to rot? Is this fixable? Appreciate any advice I can get.

Adding a photo for illustration.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 8.39.15 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 8.39.15 PM.png
    862.8 KB · Views: 0
Back