Worth the trouble to import a Stihl to get the desired model WITHOUT EasyStart?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoneChopping

Reaction score
So I'm completely sold on getting an ms201 (rear handle) to add to my saw tool chest. Here in the states, that's a 201 c-em, the 'e' standing for "EasyStart". I could work things out where I could import a ms201 C-M from the UK (not via a local Stihl dealer, this would be unkosher in Stihl's 20th century business model).

My question is, is it worth it? Not necessarily monetarily (thank you strong USD), it's not much more, but just in terms of not having EasyStart. Why, you ask. I've read a number of anecdotes claiming drop starting will kill the EasyStart mechanism. I know it is never recommended to begin with but let's be real, I generally drop start smaller saws. Could I change my ways? Probably. But I'm sure I'd forget at some point. Also, I don't feel like trying to tell anyone who borrows it to not drop start it either (inevitably, someone will need to borrow it, happens all the time, and I'm more than happy to lend a saw). Or is this all overblown? Is drop starting an EasyStart saw really not an automatic repair job and I just stumbled across the wrong internet story tellers?

ETA: Just had a realization, is it possible/easy to simply remove the EasyStart mechanism and thus convert to just the normal direct pull method?

If money isn’t a problem I’d say do it if that’s what you want. Without looking at the IPL I can’t say for certain how easy (or expensive) it would be to convert to a standard recoil assembly, although I do feel confident it can be done.

So I'm completely sold on getting an ms201 (rear handle) to add to my saw tool chest. Here in the states, that's a 201 c-em, the 'e' standing for "EasyStart". I could work things out where I could import a ms201 C-M from the UK (not via a local Stihl dealer, this would be unkosher in Stihl's 20th century business model).

My question is, is it worth it? Not necessarily monetarily (thank you strong USD), it's not much more, but just in terms of not having EasyStart. Why, you ask. I've read a number of anecdotes claiming drop starting will kill the EasyStart mechanism. I know it is never recommended to begin with but let's be real, I generally drop start smaller saws. Could I change my ways? Probably. But I'm sure I'd forget at some point. Also, I don't feel like trying to tell anyone who borrows it to not drop start it either (inevitably, someone will need to borrow it, happens all the time, and I'm more than happy to lend a saw). Or is this all overblown? Is drop starting an EasyStart saw really not an automatic repair job and I just stumbled across the wrong internet story tellers?

ETA: Just had a realization, is it possible/easy to simply remove the EasyStart mechanism and thus convert to just the normal direct pull method?
Nobody drop starts with any regard for safety. You said it yourself; it reckless bravado...meant to impress. Hold any saw by the wrap, and free pull it. No need to mimic the stick man in the manual with the machine between his thighs......just start the saw like a typical man.

The EasyStart feature works perfectly, if maintained. I've repaired a dozen because of operator disregard for the procedure.......in that manual.

I love the "easy start" I dont drop start anymore since I ripped a big hole in my pant leg one time, its a miracle I didnt cut my leg real bad, guess god was with me that day, (shaking his head)

Your up in a tree and all you have to do is hang on with one hang and pull, not jerk. As far as reliability, I repair less easy starts than I do non easy starts. Think about it, how rough is the drop start compared to an easy start on a mechanism? You just have to start using it correctly.

I know this post is a bit stale, at least one currently on the shelf at my store in Idaho, Non-easy start. Look around…

Back