Would you repair/use this bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too, but it is HOT down here.
Definitely a winter hobby.
I’m right on the oregon coast it’s basically 70-75 degrees all summer. We had one 95 degree day last year because the wildfire smoke trapped in all the heat.

probably going to move back to South Dakota and then I’ll only need 20” bars.

Ok, I started the process of grinding it back and trying to straighten the rail. I think it's looking pretty good. Depth is currently 5mm on the dot. How much depth do I need for 3/8 063?

DSC_0661.JPG
DSC_0663.JPG

I think I need to make the slope out of the shallowest part a bit longer..

Silk Purse and Sow's Ear come to mind,
That area that has been hacked at and looks to be outer skin separating from the inner layer of laminate look like potential trouble and a possible derailment area. Couple that with the ground away hardness and you still don't get the silk purse.
If you get around to slinging a chain around it- make sure that messed up rail is always facing up.

I use my $59 Hf belt sander the table is set at 90 degrees. If the groove depth is ok I’m good to go if not, I setup a bar shop for my dealer he can groove it deeper. The second I see bar wear I dress them. I run good oil not drain oil.

Well it worked pretty well. I measured along the bar how deep the rails were and marked how much had to come out of each spot. I've got it all to 6mm now and will probably aim for closer to 7mm. One spot is at 8mm as I got a bit aggressive before I built the grinder/being drill. I'll hopefully have it finished soon.

Looking much better, just put something like a coin in the bar rail and close up those few high sides where its open a bit, some flat bar stock on the top to help take away hammer blow dents, or use the vice with some packing, ie old brake pad to put pressure on the high spot, see how you go, be great for having a handy longer bar for occasional use.
Now you know how useful they can be, I see a new bar in your future, attached to a 461 :surprised3: :surprised3: :drinkingcoffee: :chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

Looking much better, just put something like a coin in the bar rail and close up those few high sides where its open a bit, some flat bar stock on the top to help take away hammer blow dents, or use the vice with some packing, ie old brake pad to put pressure on the high spot, see how you go, be great for having a handy longer bar for occasional use.
Now you know how useful they can be, I see a new bar in your future, attached to a 461 :surprised3: :surprised3: :drinkingcoffee: :chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:
lol, maybe there is...

Back