• Notice to all BUYERS. You are buying at your own risk. If you do not know the seller then please be cautious and look for suspicious activity. If they ask you to mail a check/money order or pay with PayPal using the Friends and Family option, that is a RED FLAG. Your purchase will not be protected. Only pay with credit card or PayPal using the goods and services options. Do not fall for the excuse that they don't want to pay the PayPal fees. They need to account for that in their sales price.
  • To all USERS that think they need to police the site. New users that come to sell items are not always selling stolen merchandise. No vigilante or lynch mob mentality is permitted. You will be given infraction points if you accuse someone of selling stolen merchandise without hard evidence. You must have the stolen item report with a serial number and/or pictures that match the for sale item to make such accusations. Alert the moderators with your evidence and they will take care of any transgressions. If you do not you will be given enough points for a 3 day time out.

Want to Buy WTB: 100+CC milling saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

Lightning Performance

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just had a look at this thread and had some thoughts. A brand-new Stihl MS 880 goes for at least $2000. The mill set-up is at least a few hundred. But you can buy a basic bandsaw mill with a 10' track for less than$3000. Sure, the cheaper mills lack some of the features of the more expensive ones and take more effort to use. But they will outperform any chainsaw mill in speed, effort and net wood yield (1/8" kerf vs 3/8" kerf.) Not sure what the attraction is for a chainsaw mill.
Portable

Lightning Performance

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Unless you are truly milling in the middle of the woods or slabbing the advantages of a bandmill far outweigh the portability of a chainsaw mill. That is simply my observation
Sure does. Still worthless if your not moving big logs. Most bands couldn't handle large slabs. I don't mill 2x anything but small slabs under 24". The stuff over 32" tends to be over 12' and three inches plus thick. Bar tops can go 30ft. Try that on a band saw with a 4'x25' log, enjoy.

Two different tools is my best answer for completely different jobs.

Reaction score
You apparently did not see what I wrote when I said........................Unless you are truly milling in the middle of the woods or slabbing..................but heck who cares. What works for you works for you and that is the great thing about options. We do not have to be clones.

Aviacs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
As the title states I am looking to buy a 100+cc milling saw, even just a power head.

It can be a project or a brand new complete saw, just let me know what you have.

Just a note, Disstons are 249cc, 9.1KW, two cylinder.
7' bars were available, longest i've found is 5' on the east coast.
But yeah, still have not finished mine, either.

:(

Also mechanically easy to put a power head on both ends of the bar.
It's been done for sawing contests.
Probably more dangerous (broken chain) than useful, though.

Reaction score
Just a note, Disstons are 249cc, 9.1KW, two cylinder.
7' bars were available, longest i've found is 5' on the east coast.
But yeah, still have not finished mine, either.

:(

Also mechanically easy to put a power head on both ends of the bar.
It's been done for sawing contests.
Probably more dangerous (broken chain) than useful, though.
I am a dedicated vintage saw guy but I will tell you a KB7 is the furthest you ever want to mill with. They are fun to play with but when work needs done WORK needs done.... As for a double ender there is an ole logger down in Missouri that runs a couple double ended Disstons at a show in September

sawfun

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
While the KB7 does exceed your 100cc requirement by a mite, I don't think 3/4" chain is exactly narrow kerf, though I could be mistaken. Harvester chain is kinda hard on those old timers that used less aggressive chains such as scratcher. Though full chisel does make for a more impressive display. If you want useable brute power, a 090g, 797g, or 3100 are the tops in my book.